Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MAD- Smaller lighter and preferably inexpensive  (Read 11682 times)

Scallyanglo

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood Binci Pariselle 2.6 LM 14 bass
Re: MAD- Smaller lighter and preferably inexpensive
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »

OK, I know I'm the Castagnari man and I build my own melodeons, but when all is said and done if I really had to choose one D/G box it would have to be the Hohner Erica  - preferably not a new Chinese one.

Do you have any at the moment?

Andrew

• New Starter
    • clockmakersandrepairs
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »

I have a Saltarelle Connemara II for band use, but for playing at home/sessions/pub gigs I bought a Dino Baffeti " Binci" last year from the Music Room in Cleckhuddersfax.

John told me they buy these in then get ( I think ) John Connor to rework them, especially the reeds, and all I can say is it is the most light, easy to play, superb action, LOUD if you want it melodeon I have ever used, and I am finding myself playing it more and more in preference to the others I have bought over the years - - - - - -

Feels like half the weight and half the size of the others, but boy does it ROCK !!

Well worth a look and a play, and price is around half what I paid for my Salterelle Nuage from the same Emporium.

Andrew.

robinbid

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »

When I lived there it was Cleckheckmondsedge.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »

OK, I know I'm the Castagnari man and I build my own melodeons, but when all is said and done if I really had to choose one D/G box it would have to be the Hohner Erica  - preferably not a new Chinese one.

Yes, but they're mine, all mine.

I have three Ericas: Black D/G, red C/F, red G/C. Three old Double Rays C#/D, B/C and my favourite Bb/Eb. Also an old wooden Erica in A/D and two one row four stops in C and D.

My other boxes are Sander D/G wet tuned, Dinn II D/G dry tuned, Baffetti Carnival II A/D, Guerinni 3 voice in A/D, Savoy Cajun in Bb, Eric Martin Cajun in C, Hohner Corona N Xtreme in GCF.

All of the above (excluding the Guerrini and the B/C Double Ray which are in bits) are gigged or sessioned on a regular basis and none are for sale.

Then there are all the melodeons that I do have for sale............ but that's another story.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »

Yes, but they're mine, all mine.

I have three Ericas: Black D/G, red C/F, red G/C. Three old Double Rays C#/D, B/C and my favourite Bb/Eb. Also an old wooden Erica in A/D and two one row four stops in C and D.

My other boxes are Sander D/G wet tuned, Dinn II D/G dry tuned, Baffetti Carnival II A/D, Guerinni 3 voice in A/D, Savoy Cajun in Bb, Eric Martin Cajun in C, Hohner Corona N Xtreme in GCF.

All of the above (excluding the Guerrini and the B/C Double Ray which are in bits) are gigged or sessioned on a regular basis and none are for sale.

Then there are all the melodeons that I do have for sale............ but that's another story.

Rees

If you want another 1 row I'm told there some bloke in Wales turning them out, but you don't seem to have one?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »

If you want another 1 row I'm told there some bloke in Wales turning them out, but you don't seem to have one?

Simple answer - all sold. I fell totally in love with the last one I made and vowed never to sell it. Then Dan Quinn happened by. He only ever plays Hohners so how could I refuse when he offered me money.
Yes - result!!

More in the pipeline.
www.melodeons.com

waltzman

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »

Tommy's are nearly as heavy as your Sara, or at least mine is. The specs say 2.8kg, but mine is nearly 3.5kg. Maybe they just feel more comfortable beause they are more compact.
I just felt I wasn't 'fighting' to keep hold of it or getting the ache I usually get with the sara II. And my fingers were in the right place without all the awkwardness and I could even reach the C basses without a struggle.
With the sara I sometmes feel like I've got a TV on my lap I'm trying to reach round. :-\
I've only got short arms.
When I first started playing (which wasn't long ago either) I started with the little light weight Pokerwork which felt very large and awkward after playing the concertina.  It made my muslces ache also.  After playing for a while all of that awkward feeling and discomfort went away.  I recommend you give the poor Beltuna a few more months before you decide she's too big for you.

If I remember correctly,  you haven't been playing the melodeon that long.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »

When I first started playing (which wasn't long ago either) I started with the little light weight Pokerwork which felt very large and awkward after playing the concertina.  It made my muslces ache also.  After playing for a while all of that awkward feeling and discomfort went away.  I recommend you give the poor Beltuna a few more months before you decide she's too big for you.
The aches and pains may fade away - but once in the grip of MAD you're doomed...DOOMED I TELL YOU!
AL >:E

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

Rees, you've kept that quiet, just how MAD you are! :o

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

I have a Saltarelle Connemara II for band use, but for playing at home/sessions/pub gigs I bought a Dino Baffeti " Binci" last year from the Music Room in Cleckhuddersfax 

Well worth a look and a play, and price is around half what I paid for my Salterelle Nuage from the same Emporium.

Andrew.

Morrisbox

• Good talker
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »

I have a Saltarelle Connemara II for band use, but for playing at home/sessions/pub gigs I bought a Dino Baffeti " Binci" last year from the Music Room in Cleckhuddersfax.

John told me they buy these in then get ( I think ) John Connor to rework them, especially the reeds, and all I can say is it is the most light, easy to play, superb action, LOUD if you want it melodeon I have ever used, and I am finding myself playing it more and more in preference to the others I have bought over the years - - - - - -

I'd have to agree these are lovely boxes, was nearly seduced into buying one at Sidmouth, but couldn't really justify it, as already have a lovely Oakwood 2 and a Tommy and a Liliput (in C/F), Connemara 3 and others.  I think you get seduced by the sound of a particular box, and the ease of playing it, the weight only catches up with you later.  The Connemara is a lovely box, beautiful sound, but it is a tad on the heavy side for "everyday" use, the weight gets to after a while, but when you want to play a waltz, there is nothing finer.

I think the more melodeons you have, the more your mood drives which one you pick up.  I have a Castagnari Sander, which I bought as my second box (after my pokerwork), and used for a few years, and loved it dearly, then got seduced by "shinier" boxes, and it got a little neglected, then my wife started playing it, before she drifted off to other instruments.  I picked it up again the other day - sheer joy! a bit like falling in love again.  I have always had difficulty parting with a melodeon (does anyone else have this problem?), and my experience with the Sander shows the wisdom of holding on to your older boxes (of course my wife doesn't entirely agree with this analysis!!)

Trevor

melodeon

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »

If  owned and liked my SARA  I would get another in another key..
or a Hohner  either Pkerwork or Erica

Rees,

How do you like the Extreme ? Is yours an Xtreme II or III  ? How is the fit, finish, action. tuning etc.....why GCF    ?  other than it is the world standard.

I have a friend who sold his Dino Baffetti GLIIA  with hand made reeds to buy one.  He plays primarily blues and Zydeco.

Also do you retune your Ericas or leave 'em inexacting and sloppy and grossly wet ?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »

Rees, you've kept that quiet, just how MAD you are! :o

MADder than most, I'm happy to say.
Thing is Diane, you only ever see me at English music events where I will be wielding a D/G or a C box. My other musical ventures (Zydeco, Irish, Italian, Welsh, Tex-Mex, Cumbia, etc.) demand all sorts of other key combinations........... erm.... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

Al is now tempting me to go F/Bb/Eb.  ???
www.melodeons.com

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 01:27:29 AM »

Not as light as you probably want, but if you can find them, might consider Hohner Galaad or Cap Horn.  Also, maybe Irish Dancemaster 2-row.  But as stated many times this thread, there are lot of ways to soup up a Pokerwork (including creating the "loop style" inner bass strap) and they ARE light.
My MAD is leading me towards a new style Benny.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Keithypete.

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 01:41:03 AM »

I love my Sara II, it really is just right. If I get another 'box it will probably be an Excelsior Mini - a Lily rip-off if ever there was one. Or a Black Pearl Dino. Or a Lillput. Or one of those oh so cute Rucksack Steirische A/D/Gs. Or  All of the above. Hmmm - not thinks.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »

If I remember correctly,  you haven't been playing the melodeon that long.
I started playing in march so that would be about 6 months-ish.

Also do you retune your Ericas or leave 'em inexacting and sloppy and grossly wet ?
sounds like a description of me. lol!

oooh, I was looking longingly at (I think it was) one of those at shrewsbury FF....didn't get a chance to try though.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »

Rees,

How do you like the Extreme ? Is yours an Xtreme II or III  ? How is the fit, finish, action. tuning etc.....why GCF    ?  other than it is the world standard.

I have a friend who sold his Dino Baffetti GLIIA  with hand made reeds to buy one.  He plays primarily blues and Zydeco.

As I've said somewhere else (ages ago) on this forum, the Hohner Corona Xtreme is the best new Hohner I've ever played. It feels and plays like a much older model. My customers who have bought one are also very happy with it.

Mine is the IIIN tuned LMM with 5 switches. I use it mainly for Zydeco and Tex-Mex. GCF because it's easier to copy Boozoo and Flaco. I'm saving up for a F/Bb/Eb - same model.

The Ericas are still in the standard Hohner tremolo tuning. I've dry tuned all the Double Rays.
www.melodeons.com

JohnA

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »

Hi LDT

Just to add my voice in praise of the "Baffetti/Oakwood/Binci" (modified by Martyn Banks of Oakwood). I too was seduced by one at the Music Room. Small, light, loud if you want it to be, fast action and a delight to play (something I hope to be able to do properly eventually...). Not cheap, but I think very good value. Mine came with the usual accidentals. It's a 19 button, but I don't go anywhere near the high note buttons - hurt my ears anyway. Incidentally, visiting the shop has been a treat - John and colleagues are full of helpful enthusiasm.

Cheers     John

melodeon

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »

Thanks Rees

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. And thank you to all those who tried to help me figure out how to stop the aching at EATMT...now I have a couple of suggestions to try to see whether that helps over the next few months.
I think I'll still want a cheap one to take on holiday though. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal