Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeaky bass button on Liliput  (Read 1023 times)

Harmonicatunes

• Respected Sage
    • Harmonicatunes
Squeaky bass button on Liliput
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:17:27 AM »

I've recently taken delivery of a wonderful Rowbotham G/C Liliput. It is glorious in every way, except that one of the bass button squeaks. It's somewhat like having a chipmunk in the band.

Any suggested fixes? My inclination would be to colour the shaft of the button with a "lead" pencil (i.e. graphite), however I would welcome expert suggestions before I dive in.
Harmonica Player
Just starting with the Box

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Squeaky bass button on Liliput
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:25 AM »

Sometimes it can help to clean out the interior surfaces of the guide hole.  I’ve course you have to remove the button from the hole first which is not a simple task.

An less messy alternative to graphite is powdered pace delivered as a “dry”spray.  The one I use comes with a solvent carrier which evaporates completely leaving no oily residue.  Works a treat.

Example https://www.axminster.co.uk/ambersil-dry-ptfe-film-anti-stick-952137

Avoid the WD40 dry ptfe spray which contains some oily or waxy material and is not suitable.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:16:43 AM »

I've recently taken delivery of a wonderful Rowbotham G/C Liliput. It is glorious in every way, except that one of the bass button squeaks. It's somewhat like having a chipmunk in the band.

Any suggested fixes? My inclination would be to colour the shaft of the button with a "lead" pencil (i.e. graphite), however I would welcome expert suggestions before I dive in.
Before attempting any cure, you need to find out exactly what is causing the squeak. It may, or may not, be the shank of the button. Squeaks can also be caused by the rubbing of the coils of the spring in the action mechanism, or the spring ends rubbing on the lever arms, or friction in the 'bearing holes' which the mechanism axle passes through.

With the bass plate removed so you can access the action, try placing your finger lightly on each of the suspect parts while working the offending button, and see if that silences the squeak. You may even be able to hear and pinpoint exactly where the squeak is coming from.

Graphite is a good idea as a lubricant but don't use ordinary pencil lead; it contains a clay filler which can be abrasive. Instead, use pure graphite powder sold as locksmith's graphite lubricant. Like this. Mix a bit of graphite powder with some meths or isopropanol and apply to the suspect part(s) with a small artists paint brushor a cotton bud. The alcohol will carry the graphite into the narrow spaces and then evaporate, leaving the graphite in place.

Or use Theo's PTFE spray suggestion. (I've not used this myself, but if Theo recommends it, it must be OK (:) )

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Harmonicatunes

• Respected Sage
    • Harmonicatunes
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »

Great. I'll get on to it. The chipmunk should soon be leaving the band.
Harmonica Player
Just starting with the Box

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »

WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.  Powdered grapite's the ticket for me.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Trefry

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 12:43:00 AM »

I had a squeaky bass button when I first got my Liliput and it drove me crazy and then after a week the squeaking stopped and hasn’t returned since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal