Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A big Christmas Thank You  (Read 1889 times)

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
A big Christmas Thank You
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:37:25 AM »

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours looking through the YouTube channels of some of the members here.  Some I’d never seen before, Ed Rennies for example, even though I have a couple of his books, what gems mostly posted 7 years ago.
However to all of you who contribute so much, Anahata, Playandteach, Lester for his massive tune book, Daddy Long Les, George Garside and Gavin Atkin, particularly come to mind but there is so much wonderful freely given advice and knowledge.  Then there all those who transcribe to abc, record tunes as special requests, seek out tunes for others.  Thanks of course to Theo and other admins who keep this site running and to the many others whose names I’ve not mentioned (so sorry).
Happy Christmas or whatever you door don’t celebrate to everyone, and thank you.
Caroline

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
Re: A big Christmas Thank You
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »

Echo all that.

.. And A Happy and Peaceful Christmas to all on here from me and mine.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »

Well said.
An echo of those sentiments  from deepest Devon too  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:46:44 AM »

Absolutely. Where other sites love to troll, here remains a safe place to share experiences and opinions. The ones who don't get it move on, and the ones who stay benefit and support in equal measure.
Thanks to all for an enjoyable few years of learning as I go. I can't get to play as much as I did, but still enjoy the camaraderie and playing of our regulars and newbies.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Roger Howard

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »

Well said. Happy Christmas to everyone!  (:)

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »

Well said.
An echo of those sentiments  from deepest Devon too  (:)
Q

...from deepest Devon! Does that mean you live in a cave?

Christmas Greetings to one and all from the highest Pennines. Make what you will of that!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »

Bob: curses, exposed at last  ;D
Having visited 'Troglodyte villages' in the Dordogne, where an entire village lived half way up a cliff, I don't see why cave living is so unusual, just currently exceedingly damp. Don't worry the weather is on it's way up country  >:E

Anyway, Happy Christmas and here's to a great tuneful New Year
Q xx
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

arty

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 11:53:41 AM »

And a great big Christmas thank you for all the advice and encouragement, from the most southerly of the British Isles, ( a bit of a melodeon desert here, there’s only 3 of us!). Happy and Peaceful New Year everyone!!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:33:41 PM by arty »
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:33 PM »

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours looking through the YouTube channels of some of the members here.  Some I’d never seen before, Ed Rennies for example, even though I have a couple of his books, what gems mostly posted 7 years ago.
However to all of you who contribute so much, Anahata, Playandteach, Lester for his massive tune book, Daddy Long Les, George Garside and Gavin Atkin, particularly come to mind but there is so much wonderful freely given advice and knowledge.  Then there all those who transcribe to abc, record tunes as special requests, seek out tunes for others.  Thanks of course to Theo and other admins who keep this site running and to the many others whose names I’ve not mentioned (so sorry).
Happy Christmas or whatever you door don’t celebrate to everyone, and thank you.
Caroline

Thank you Caroline!  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »

To echo the words of others a very big Thank You to Theo, Clive, Lester and all the other experts who have given thier time and advice so freely thoughout the year. Also, especially to Theo who has kept the site both constructive and tolerant while still allowing differing points of view (no easy task!). It has been a constant pleasure to access the site knowing it will not have become battle zone as so meny sites degenerate to. Happy Christmas and New Year to all.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »

Hear! Hear!

Thanks to everyone for making and keeping Melnet special  (:)

I hope many of our paths will cross offline as well as online.

Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and an enjoyable 2019  :||: :|glug :|||: :M :M :M :|glug :|glug :Ph

Cheers, Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 10:46:36 PM »

Yes, thanks Melnet. Or rather all the members. Especially all those previously mentioned.
Having spent years away from music due to house restorations among other things, Melnet has helped me back into the Melodeon habit.
The tune of the month has made me concentrate, and watching the various videos has reminded me what's possible with a little thought.
All I need is more practice.
Thanks to to some of the people posting in the instrument construction sections too. I see that all my musings over the years already have been covered, sometimes in minute detail. Strange tunings, switching reeds around, silencing thirds - its all there. Gena Crisman, Steve Freereeder and many others have posed similar what ifs. They must have weird minds like mine. 8)
I've enjoyed tuition videos from people like Stiamh though I'll probably never sit in an Irish session. Just fascinating.
I'll stick with my bassoon for playing in public for the moment. It'll take me a year or more to get to the standard I was at 20 years ago. Then I should be able to play some of my own tunes again!
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »

I'm late to the thread but wanted to echo the thoughts of others. In fact one of the reasons I settled on the melodeon vs the Anglo concertina (besides it seeming a bit easier!) was that there seemed to be a more active online community with people posting on YouTube, the melnet Tune of the Month, etc. Daddy Long Les' video blogs were a huge help when I was first learning about the instrument and deciding what to look for. So thanks to everyone for putting forth the effort to contribute online. It really is a huge help to us new learners!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal