Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: The VMP Buttrey MSS Project  (Read 60424 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
The VMP Buttrey MSS Project
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »

Following on from the discussions in this thread I'm moving the conversation into the ABC forum to avoid futher thread drift. Things are moving along and Chris P thinks it's a goer so the usual well-oiled VMP machinery is cranking up in the background. If you've registered an interest in helping with the transcriptions please be patient, VMP projects are carefully researched, organised and planned before the transcribers get to work
So far Steve_Freereeder, thrupenny bit and lachenal74693 seem pretty keen to get involved. I would ask that nobody jumps the gun and starts transcibing anything just yet, or if you have already done so, be prepared to edit your work to the VMP format for ABC files including the headers specific to this project (yet to be decided). Accuracy of transcription is far more important than speed as it saves a huge amount of work at the proofreading and editing stage.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: The VMP Buttrey MSS Project
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »

Thanks for the update Pete, and also splitting it off into the abc forum.
I will wait patiently, but somewhat excited  (:)
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »

From the other thread:

Slight thread-drift kicking in...

...the notes on the VMP web site about how the ABC files are made...
https://www.village-music-project.org.uk/?page_id=17..

Thank you - I hadn't spotted that. Helpful. My SOPs are not radically different from that. Remembering
that I'm producing scores primarily for my own private use, the two main differences are:

1) I use spaces generously to produce an 'easily readable' ABC script, and tend to explicitly specify
    opening and closing repeat markers (ie: |: . . . :| rather than ::
2) I (generally) restrict myself to the sub-set X:, T:, C:, M:, L:, Q:, R:, P:, K:, P:, w:, W: (usually)
    in that order. I tend to use comments (leading %) in place of all t'others (N:, D:, B:, Z:, O:, H:,
    etc.).

I use commands to the abc2midi and abc2ps programs as required (eg: I use a sans-serif font as
default). These can be global or local in scope, as required.

Why? Because this approach produces a simple, uncluttered, simple score - which I really, really need.
All t'other information will be there, it's just hidden from view.

:: is only used in the middle of a line of code because :||: doesn't parse properly and doesn't look right on the page. Repeat marks at the beginning or end of a line are of course |: and :| respectively. Redundant spaces are not allowed in VMP files and if they are there it gives the proofreader/editor another job to do removing them. Header fields must be as specified to maintain consistency across the transcriptions, the exceptions being R: and Q: which are optional. The files I write for the VMP are very different from the trancriptions I write for myself which have a number of %% commands in them, I prefer sans serif too.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »

I'm up for helping out with this.  I am comfortable with ABC and use it extensively to produce dots for band tunes but this would be my first foray into such a project, so would understand if VMP wanted people with more experience. N
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »

If you are comfortable with ABC Nigel you have all of the experience needed! The hardest part with handwritten manuscripts is legibility and the use of old fashioned marks that are no longer used. Deciding what to do about obvious errors is another issue and there are times when you need ask for guidance, just leave that tune for the time being and get on with another.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »

If you are comfortable with ABC Nigel you have all of the experience needed! The hardest part with handwritten manuscripts is legibility and the use of old fashioned marks that are no longer used. Deciding what to do about obvious errors is another issue and there are times when you need ask for guidance, just leave that tune for the time being and get on with another.
Thanks Pete.  I've looked at a few of the ABC files on the VMP site and they look straightforward - obviously a set of semantic rules to learn and adhere to, but otherwise OK. Certainly wouldn't be shy of asking for guidance, though  (:)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:12:03 PM by nigelr »
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »

nigelr - I'm a relatively new to ABC but Pete has been patient and guided me through tunes in the past.
You won't be the only person never to have done anything on this scale before!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm available to help out with this project. Awaiting the go-ahead from Chris and/or Pete. I can always be contacted by PM.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »

I note the 'riders' and 'restrictions' relating to the production of ABC scripts for VMP projects.

I've already transcribed a few tunes for personal use, and will see how easy it is to do a global edit to
convert them to the preferred VMP layout for this specific project, if and when it is finalised. I'm restricting
myself at the moment to only those tunes in the first indexed section which have a 'modern' PDF-based
transcription available (~25 out of 79 tunes, I think).

I have PM'd Pete Dunk to this effect.

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »

I've also contacted Chris P to indicate an interest in joining the coding team.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »

I would be happy to lend a hand (and I promise to avoid !)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »

I have PM'd Pete Dunk to this effect.

Roger

I've sent an email to the address at the bottom of your post Roger.

I would be happy to lend a hand (and I promise to avoid !)

Noted!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm available to help out with this project. Awaiting the go-ahead from Chris and/or Pete. I can always be contacted by PM.

Hi Steve, I noted your interest in the top post of this thread, I'm certain that everyone who wants in will be welcomed with open arms, it just takes a while to get going. Chris is hoping to get direct access to the images so he can gather them together and dole them out in batches, the size of each batch is yet to be decided but won't exceed 50 tunes each from past experience, 30 is quite common.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 02:40:06 PM »

Ah, so this is where you all are!
Seasonal matters are slowing things down a bit for me. I've had a closer look at the images on the website and I think we can work from them, either straight off the screen or downloaded as you prefer. Saves the bother and possible time lag of going to Canada for them. Having looked at the owner's comments on the website they seem happy for us to proceed without further niceties.
Personally I find it convenient to have my editing program on the pooter screen, and read the MS on a second screen above or to one side, then I'm not switching back and forth manually.
So far I count nine volunteers:- Pete, Anahata, Steve M, David J, I already have contacts for. The following I either don't know, or don't have email addresses:-Thrupenny Bit, NigelR, Freereeder (Steve Dunkerley?), Lachenal (Roger..?), Tone Dumb Greg. PM me or email to cpartington (at)outlook(dot)com to update me please. There may be others, get in touch.
The MS is broken into eleven webpages, https://buttreymilitarysocialtunes1800.wordpress.com/melodies/  each containing between 16 and 20 manuscript pages. Transcribers work at widely variable speeds, depending upon personal factors, so I will allocate each transcriber half a webpage (which I will describe for you individually), which may amount to about 30-40 tunes each per spasm.
I have details of how to proceed and what is required from you, which I will put on my webpage presently and link to from here.
For now could all who want to get started let me know now. I note that Lachenal has already begun, so may as well carry on as far as and including tune #43

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »

So far I count nine volunteers:- Pete, Anahata, Steve M, David J, I already have contacts for. The following I either don't know, or don't have email addresses:-Thrupenny Bit, NigelR, Freereeder (Steve Dunkerley?), Lachenal (Roger..?), Tone Dumb Greg. PM me or email to cpartington (at)outlook(dot)com to update me please.
Nope! PM sent!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »

Here is a link to a hint page for transcribing VMP files. Let me know if it needs further clarification (it prolly will). http://www.cpartington.plus.com/Links/A%20Number%20of%20Supporting%20Items/VMP%20Transcriber%20Hints.html

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »

...Let me know if it needs further clarification...

It seems pretty straight forward. A couple of things came to mind.

1. Where header elements are optional (such as B:) it would be easier to have them be either in or out, rather than leave them to individual judgement.

2. A definitive example of good practice would be good.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »

Yes I agree about the B: field. That was general guidance but for this project where there are so many different hands at work it would be better to leave it out and let me take care of it afterwards and consistently. As for examples there are about 12000 of them elsewhere on my site :)

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

Looking at it, isn't that what I implied? Anyway, I've added a few words.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »

Thanks for clarifying
Greg Smith

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal