Discussions > ABC

The VMP Buttrey MSS Project

(1/93) > >>

Pete Dunk:
Following on from the discussions in this thread I'm moving the conversation into the ABC forum to avoid futher thread drift. Things are moving along and Chris P thinks it's a goer so the usual well-oiled VMP machinery is cranking up in the background. If you've registered an interest in helping with the transcriptions please be patient, VMP projects are carefully researched, organised and planned before the transcribers get to work
So far Steve_Freereeder, thrupenny bit and lachenal74693 seem pretty keen to get involved. I would ask that nobody jumps the gun and starts transcibing anything just yet, or if you have already done so, be prepared to edit your work to the VMP format for ABC files including the headers specific to this project (yet to be decided). Accuracy of transcription is far more important than speed as it saves a huge amount of work at the proofreading and editing stage.

Thrupenny Bit:
Thanks for the update Pete, and also splitting it off into the abc forum.
I will wait patiently, but somewhat excited  (:)
cheers
Q

Pete Dunk:
From the other thread:

--- Quote from: lachenal74693 on December 21, 2018, 06:16:59 AM ---Slight thread-drift kicking in...

--- Quote from: Anahata on December 19, 2018, 05:50:48 PM ---...the notes on the VMP web site about how the ABC files are made...
https://www.village-music-project.org.uk/?page_id=17..

--- End quote ---

Thank you - I hadn't spotted that. Helpful. My SOPs are not radically different from that. Remembering
that I'm producing scores primarily for my own private use, the two main differences are:

1) I use spaces generously to produce an 'easily readable' ABC script, and tend to explicitly specify
    opening and closing repeat markers (ie: |: . . . :| rather than ::
2) I (generally) restrict myself to the sub-set X:, T:, C:, M:, L:, Q:, R:, P:, K:, P:, w:, W: (usually)
    in that order. I tend to use comments (leading %) in place of all t'others (N:, D:, B:, Z:, O:, H:,
    etc.).

I use commands to the abc2midi and abc2ps programs as required (eg: I use a sans-serif font as
default). These can be global or local in scope, as required.

Why? Because this approach produces a simple, uncluttered, simple score - which I really, really need.
All t'other information will be there, it's just hidden from view.

--- End quote ---

:: is only used in the middle of a line of code because :||: doesn't parse properly and doesn't look right on the page. Repeat marks at the beginning or end of a line are of course |: and :| respectively. Redundant spaces are not allowed in VMP files and if they are there it gives the proofreader/editor another job to do removing them. Header fields must be as specified to maintain consistency across the transcriptions, the exceptions being R: and Q: which are optional. The files I write for the VMP are very different from the trancriptions I write for myself which have a number of %% commands in them, I prefer sans serif too.

nigelr:
I'm up for helping out with this.  I am comfortable with ABC and use it extensively to produce dots for band tunes but this would be my first foray into such a project, so would understand if VMP wanted people with more experience. N

Pete Dunk:
If you are comfortable with ABC Nigel you have all of the experience needed! The hardest part with handwritten manuscripts is legibility and the use of old fashioned marks that are no longer used. Deciding what to do about obvious errors is another issue and there are times when you need ask for guidance, just leave that tune for the time being and get on with another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version