Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down

Author Topic: The VMP Buttrey MSS Project  (Read 60411 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: The VMP Buttrey MSS Project
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »

Did that Chris. Check your email, I just sent my last batch.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #441 on: April 19, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »

I am going through my last transcriptions trying to resolve things I don't understand and I am stumped by the attached bit of score.
Two things:-
What is the symbol above the last note of  first bar?
What is is the symbol at the end that looks a bit like a semi-breve A, but isn't?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #442 on: April 19, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »

Looking at it from a non-musical point of view, the first one looks (to me) as if it has been printed on the paper at the same time as the lines, and therefore nothing to do with the actual music.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #443 on: April 19, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »

I am going through my last transcriptions trying to resolve things I don't understand and I am stumped by the attached bit of score.
Two things:-
What is is the symbol at the end that looks a bit like a semi-breve A, but isn't?
Looking at it in the context of the whole tune page facsimile, I am pretty much of the same view as Edward. But I think the first marking above the last note of the first bar is spurious, possibly just the remnant of some previous text which had only been partially erased.
The symbol at the end like a semibreve A is almost certainly an artifact of the printing/penmanship. It's not a note or musical symbol at all.

I think you can safely ignore both markings in your transcription.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #444 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »

I am sure you're right

Here's a present for Winston and anyone  else interested. It's another Buttrey tune.

X:11
T:Hymn For Easter Day
Z:vmp.2019.Greg Bradfield-Smith.
M:C|
L:1/8
Q:1/4=110
K:D
D2F2A2D2|G2(G/A/)B (B2A2)|FGAD G2FG|(F2E2)D4:|
|:G2A2B2A2|G2F2E4|(FGAD) G2 FG|(F2E2)D4:|
|:c2d2(c/d/)e A2|d2d2 e/f/f e2|(cdeA) d2cd|c2B2A4:|
|:(AB) cAd2F2|G2(G/A/)B B2A2|(dcdA) (B/c/) e2|d2c2d4:|
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:31:40 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #445 on: April 19, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »

Thanks, Greg!

It's the tune 'Easter Hymn', composer Anonymous, used for 'Christ the Lord is Risen Today' (sometimes given as Jesus Christ is Risen Today); words by Charles Wesley. Stirring stuff!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:23:08 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #446 on: April 19, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »

Thanks to both of you! I'd have never worked out what it was, and it's one of my favourite easter hymns. We'll be singing it come Sunday, I imagine
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #447 on: April 20, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »

Thanks, Greg!

It's the tune 'Easter Hymn', composer Anonymous, used for 'Christ the Lord is Risen Today' (sometimes given as Jesus Christ is Risen Today); words by Charles Wesley. Stirring stuff!

Thanks  for the aka information, Steve. I had a Catholic upbringing. We didn't sing this, so I would never have known.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:30:51 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #448 on: April 20, 2019, 10:38:13 AM »

...What is the symbol above the last note of  first bar?...
I'm probably raving (I blame Dunham Brewery!!!), but could it possibly be a badly formed tr (!trill!
in ABC)?

I clearly haven't put my brains in the 'right way up' this morning, but I'm missing summat here - is this
from a tune in the Buttrey MS? Which one? Ta.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #449 on: April 20, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

...What is the symbol above the last note of  first bar?...
I'm probably raving (I blame Dunham Brewery!!!), but could it possibly be a badly formed tr (!trill!
in ABC)?
I wondered if it was a trill too, but decided against it in the end (a) because it doesn't match trill markings elsewhere in the same manuscript hand and (b) because in the context of the entire tune, it's an odd place for a trill to be, especially as there are no other trill markings in equivalent places in the tune.

I clearly haven't put my brains in the 'right way up' this morning, but I'm missing summat here - is this
from a tune in the Buttrey MS? Which one? Ta.
It's in the 'tunes without numbers' section at the bottom of the index. Page 51.
https://buttreymilitarysocialtunes1800.wordpress.com/melodies/unnumbered-melodies/
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Roger Hare

« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2019, 06:08:43 AM »

...It's in the 'tunes without numbers' section at the bottom of the index. Page 51.
https://buttreymilitarysocialtunes1800.wordpress.com/melodies/unnumbered-melodies/

Ah! I hadn't clocked the un-numbered tunes. Thank you!
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Sandra Cameron

• Buttrey Military & Social Tunes 1790-1840
« Reply #451 on: May 02, 2019, 12:46:27 AM »

Sorry, thought you folks had stopped writing on this forum so haven't looked in a long while. The ink of the first mark looks more like the ink of the title than that of the notes so maybe added by that person. (The titles continue in the ms with one penmanship when the notes change so titles may have been added later.)
The second mark is the same ink as the stave so probably done by that person when he made the staves. He sometimes scribbles in empty staves to show they are empy ?

Ross Flowers

« Reply #452 on: May 03, 2019, 12:51:48 AM »

Hi Folks. The link that Chris has on his Bits and Bobs page to all the wonderful work you are doing on the Buttrey manuscript, appears to be broken. Are any of you able to contact Chris directly?

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #453 on: May 03, 2019, 07:49:07 AM »

Yes, we're all able to keep in contact with him as are you through this forum.
If you want to privately contact him then look him up in the 'members' tab or go back through this thread to his last post, below his picture avatar either will give options to contact him. One option is a personal message, which opens up your messages on the forum and let's you message him directly.
Cheers
Q
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:17:11 AM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #454 on: May 03, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

Chris has had all the transcriptions in for a couple of weeks, so I'd guess he's done corrections and checking and is preparing to put the finished product on his site.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Sandra Cameron

• Buttrey Military & Social Tunes 1790-1840
« Reply #455 on: May 04, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »

Thank you so much to each and every one of you. Over here, we can still hardly believe that you have taken on this project and put so much heart, knowledge and diligence into transcribing the manuscript. Current and future musicians will be indebted to you forever.

I wish I could do more than just say, "Thank You" but I can't really get my head around the logistics of sending you each squares and pastries.

Thank you, thank you. We wanted this music to become available to all who would enjoy it or find it historically interesting and you have made that more than possible by providing both PDFs and abc files. You are a very special group of musicians. Thank you once more.

Sandy Cameron

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #456 on: May 04, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

In return I want to thank you Sandra for allowing us access to such a wonderful and valuable personal document.
I feel very privileged to have been able to be part of the team that's taken on this transcription. Having you there supporting and helping us has been a wonderful bonus.
best wishes
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #457 on: May 04, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »

A great cooperative effort - congrats to all concerned.

Now to explore and learn some of the tunes ! (Can I get Shropshire Militia Hornpipe to performance level for Monday... ::)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Roger Hare

« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »

...I feel very privileged to have been able to be part of the team that's taken on this transcription...
Hear, hear! It's an especial privilege for some-one like me who is a 'newcomer' to music. I've
learned a lot.(*) I enjoyed the whole exercise so much that I did Thompson's Compleat Fife
Tutor
(see below) which I don't think had been transcribed before, and am now tackling (at
least) two other late-18th century MSS - one of which was mentioned in the Buttrey thread,
one which wasn't - weeks (if not months!) of work ahead (:)  - still, it keeps me out of the
public houses  :D

(*) With help from other readers of this thread - you know who you are - thank you, folks!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:17:01 AM by Roger Hare »

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #459 on: May 05, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »

Thank you to all the volunteers, and to Sandra for the work she has put into caring for the manuscript and the website in the first place. Yay! It's all done now, and available here :- http://www.cpartington.plus.com/Links/Buttrey/Buttrey%20info.html
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal