Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sepp Fawcett's Hornpipe...or is it?  (Read 4254 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Sepp Fawcett's Hornpipe...or is it?
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »

I have asked here for help in identifying a number of the tunes that I am transcribing for the Yorkshire Dales Tunes Project and I hope it won't strain melnet's almost inexhaustible goodwill if I ask for a help with a few more tunes over the coming weeks.

The latest tune I've transcribed is a nice hornpipe from the playing of Septimus Fawcett, an English concertina player who was born and grew up in Baldersdale. My researches on folktunefinder.com and elsewhere have thrown up no other versions of the tune, but it sounds kind of familiar. Does anyone recognise it?

Sepp played it in B flat major, but I have transposed it here into D major.

X:20
T:Sepp Fawcett's Hornpipe
T:(Septimus Fawcett)
M:4/4
L:1/8
S:Septimus Fawcett
O:Frosterley, Weardale
R:Hornpipe
Z:Boaafb Ellis, 2018
K:D
(3ABc|d3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2d/2 A3/2d/2|f3/2a/ 2d3/2f/2 d'3/2b/2 g3/2b/2|a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 g3/2c/2 e3/2g/2|!
f3/2B/2 d3/2f/2 e3/2A/2 c3/2e/2|d3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2A/2 d3/2f/2|a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 d'3/2f/2 g3/2b/2|!
a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 g3/2A/2 B3/2c/2|e2[d2f2][d2f2](3ABc|d3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2A/2 d3/2f/2|a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 d'3/2d/2 g3/2b/2|!
a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 g3/2c/2 e3/2g/2|f3/2B/2 d3/2f/2 e3/2A/2 c3/2e/2|d3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2A/2 d3/2f/2|a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 d'3/2d/2 g3/2b/2|!
a3/2d/2 f3/2a/2 g3/2A/2 B3/2c/2|e2[d2f2][d2f2]|:a3/2_b/2|b3/2g/2 e3/2d/2 c3/2e/2 a3/2b/2|!
a3/2f/2 d3/2B/2 A3/2F/2 A3/2f/2|g3/2e/2 c3/2A/2 G3/2F/2 G3/2E/2|D3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2d/2 d'3/2c'/2|(3bag (3fed c3/2e/2 a3/2b/2|!
a3/2f/2 d3/2B/2 A3/2F/2 A3/2f/2|(3gfe (3dcB A3/2g/2 e3/2c/2|d2[D2d2][D2d2]:|
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:06:19 PM by Bob Ellis »
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Sepp Fawcett's Hornpipe...or is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 07:08:29 PM »

Reminds me a bit of the Golden Eagle Hornpipe at the beginning, but the similarity fades further into the tune, I suspect.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »

Great tune but I don't recognise it at all I'm afraid. I hope you won't be offended if I point out a couple of things about your coding, one of which will save you a lot of typing.

Here is your pick-up and the first bar of the tune:

(3ABc|d3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2d/2 A3/2d/2|

First of all none of the 2s in this are required as f3/ assumes divide by 2 if no other number is given so f3/d/ would do what you want.

However, if the default note length is a quaver, L:1/8 then ABC has a cool way of swinging quaver pairs, so f>d (f greater than d) gets you a dotted pair. f<d (f less than d) gets you a pair with the short note first often seen in strathspeys and pipe music. So your pick-up and first bar could look like this:

(3ABc|d>F A>d f>d A>d|

Finally, the exclamation point at the end of each line of code is unnecessary, it used to mean a hard return but was removed from the standard many years ago and ! is now used as part of an inline command like !trill! or !fermata!

Hope this helps!

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »

Thanks, Pete, for the advice about how to improve my use of ABC. I only started using it fairly recently having decided that, when my book on the dance music of the Yorkshire Dales is published, I will want to make the tunes available not just to music readers but also to those who play by ear. Consequently, I am something of an ABC novice, even though I have written out around 200 Dales tunes in ABC in the last few months.

In the light of your constructive comments, I'll go back through those tunes and improve the ABC representation of them.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 06:23:21 AM »

1) ...(3ABc|d3/2F/2 A3/2d/2 f3/2d/2 A3/2d/2|...  could look like this: (3ABc|d>F A>d f>d A>d|

2) Finally, the exclamation point at the end of each line of code is unnecessar...is now used as part
of an inline command like !trill! or !fermata!

1) FWIW, in the tune under discussion, I converted all those X3/2Y/2s to X>Y - result, a script with (roughly) half the
    characters, so much less typing. Of course, the effect will be most marked in those tunes with lots of X3/2Y/2s.

I use EasyABC and it may be worth mentioning that sometimes, these X3/2Y/2s appear willy-nilly in a tune if you use
    the EasyABC facility to halve the default note length (from L:1/8 to L:1/4 for instance). Using this feature changes the
    representation of all the notes in the score to reflect the new default note length, and sometimes these X3/2Y/2s pop
    out of the woodwork when this is done. For this reason, I stick pretty determinedly to the default note length of L:1/8
    in all my ABC scripts. I don't know if other ABC utilities have this note length changing feature.

2) Rats! I've been doing that since I started, to force a 4-bar line. Must stop...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »

Just tried Pete's suggestions (see below) for improving my use of ABC.

The d>F rather than the more cumbersome d3/2F/2 worked fine. I have, in fact, used this before but I had forgotten about it, so I was grateful for the reminder. However, Pete's suggestion that I didn't need the ! at the end of each line didn't work. If I remove the !, I lose the forced start of a new line, which I want to retain so that the representation of the music in ABC replicates exactly the way I have written it in Musescore for publication in my book.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »

Which ABC software are you using Bob?
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »

If I remove the !, I lose the forced start of a new line, which I want to retain so that the representation of the music in ABC replicates exactly the way I have written it in Musescore

In standard ABC (ever since Chris Walshaw first invented it) a new line in the ABC code creates a new stave line in the printed music.
If your software doesn't respect newlines in the source, it's broken.

The '!' convention was introduced in a Windows3.x program called ABC2WIN, which broke the ABC standard and caused chaos because, having no competition at the time and being free, it was widely used. Worse, it also didn't respect newlines in the ABC file, so the two were horribly incompatible.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »

I'm using EasyABC 1.3.5

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »

I'm using EasyABC 1.3.5
In that case, you should be able to use all the latest ABC syntax and commands. As Anahata said, something may be broken - i.e. corrupted - in your version of the software. Try deleting the application, downloading a fresh copy and reinstalling. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 05:51:28 PM »

Go to Sourceforge and download 1.3.7.7

Uninstall your existing software and install the latest version.
Edited to add: Unless you're on a Mac in which case I don't know what the latest version is.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:54:02 PM by Pete Dunk »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »

Edited to add: Unless you're on a Mac in which case I don't know what the latest version is.
It's 1.3.7.7
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »

EasyABC 1.3.7.7 for Mac.
In case there is any confusion you need the disk image file, not the source code folder.

The download page is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/easyabc/files/EasyABC/1.3.7.7/

Just click on the file EasyABC_1.3.7.7.dmg and your download should start automatically.
Once downloaded, follow the instructions to install the software. If you get a snotty message from your computer's operating system security, simply hold down the Alt key as you open the software and ignore any warnings that it's not bona fide Apple software.  ::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »

I am not a happy bunny! It has taken me six hours of dealing with one problem after another to uninstall EasyABC 1.3.5, as advised on this thread, and install 1.3.7.7. I am using Windows 10.

The first three re-installations wouldn't open at all. Each one was uninstalled and the computer switched off before trying again. This was a pain because uninstalling didn't remove all the files and I had great difficulty in finding and removing the remaining ones (the new installation wouldn't start until they were all removed). Eventually, the fourth attempt to install EasyABC worked. Hurrah!

It was only then that I discovered that I still can't remove the ! at the end of each line because doing so removes my forced line breaks and replaces them with default ones, which I don't want.

EasyABC 1.3..5 did what it said on the tin. In my experience, 1.3.7.7 is anything but easy to install and then doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Where's the emoticon for steam coming out of the ears when you need it?

Bah, humbug!

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »

I still can't remove the ! at the end of each line because doing so removes my forced line breaks and replaces them with default ones

Even if you put text linebreaks in the ABC code at the places where you want them?

I have noticed that abcm2ps (which is the conversion engine behind EasyABC) will switch to auto line breaks if there is a single '!' anywhere in the file.
If it's not that, there might be a configuration setting making it do that.
The manual for command line abcm2ps specifies a switch +c for "Automatic line breaking is turned off (default)."
I don't know if EasyABC has a way to specify command line parameters for the abcm2ps program.
If line breaks in the ABC text are being ignored, you could try putting this line at the top of a file and see if it makes a difference:

%%continueall false

(Linux user here, can't be too specific about how Windows does it)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 12:17:20 PM »

I still can't remove the ! at the end of each line because doing so removes my forced line breaks and replaces them with default ones

Even if you put text linebreaks in the ABC code at the places where you want them?

Yes, if by text linebreaks you mean pressing the Enter/Return key.

Thanks for your other suggestions. I'll look into them after lunch, when I'll have a bit more time.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »

Yes, if your tune has ! linebreaks and you start removing them, the display will misbehave until you've removed them ALL from the tune, at which point it should work again.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »

BTW, your tune I think is Proudlock's Fancy.

X:16
T:Proudlock's Fancy
M:C
L:1/8
Q:1/2=70
S:James Hill
A:Gateshead
Z:Chris Partington
K:Bb
(3FGA|B>DF>B d>FB>d|f>Bd>f b>Bd>f|\
g>Be>g f>Bd>f|e>FA>e c>FA>c|
B>DF>B d>FB>d|f>Bd>f b>ab>a|\
g>^fg>e d>cB>A|c2B2 B2:|
|:g>^f|g>ec>B A>gf>=e|f>dB>F D>FB>f|\
e>cA>G (3FGF (3EFE|D>FB>d f>db>a|
g>ec>B A>gf>=e|f>dB>F D>FB>b|\
a>gf>e d>cB>A|c2B2 B2:|

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 11:50:51 PM »

I should have know that. Well spotted Chris! Proudlock's Fancy it is.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »

Yes, if your tune has ! linebreaks and you start removing them, the display will misbehave until you've removed them ALL from the tune, at which point it should work again.

Thanks, Chris. It is now working as it should. As you had probably surmised, I only removed one or two exclamation remarks and then stopped because it was messing up the line lengths. Now that I know that this corrects itself when all the exclamation marks have been removed, I'll remove them from all the 200+ Dales tunes I have written out in ABC.

Thanks also for the name of Proudlock's Fancy. I thought the tune sounded familiar, but couldn't recall its name. I would have thought putting the first few notes into folktunefinder.com would have found it, but it didn't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal