Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing advice for a complete newbie  (Read 4686 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Purchasing advice for a complete newbie
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »

Agree too  The melodeon looks to be a right hand instrument, with some chords, but that's not the way it's played.

Agree to some extent but also disagree.

It depends on your style of playing. It is perfectly possible to treat the instrument as right-hand, melody dependent and using the basses and chords more or less automatically, without too much thought or analysis, depending on which RH row you happened to be playing on. Many traditional English players did this in the past, morris musicians and East Anglian players particularly, and continue to do so today. In contrast, continental players tend to learn smooth cross-row style right from the start using 'correct' LH harmonies. Both approaches are neither right nor wrong, they are just different and perfectly valid.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »

...How slowly? Slow enough for your brain and body to be aware of exactly what you are doing and learn how to do it. Playing at tempo can come once you are playing it right.

Beware of teaching yourself how to do things wrong, instead of how to do it right.

If a things worth saying, it's worth repeating.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Max Khanna

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »

Thank you for all the advice! I’ve twidded around with a couple of books but I will try Mel’s course’s 2 week tester and see how I go with that, plus I clearly need to get myself up to Playgroup. (Wow, surely people don’t camp in February?!) Thanks also for the John Kirkpatrick recommendation - really enjoying listening to someone I’d never even heard of before. Is there a pace on the forum where everyone enthuses about their favourite players? [Edit: oops just found it!]

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 05:36:24 PM »

... I clearly need to get myself up to Playgroup. (Wow, surely people don’t camp in February?!)

Some people do, in campervans that is. :|||:

Not many places left at Playgroup.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal