Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with identifying old melodeon please.  (Read 1007 times)

Kiaulleyder

Help with identifying old melodeon please.
« on: December 29, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »

This has been advertised for sale in my local area. Seller says bellows in good condition but has some sticking buttons. Does anyone know what make/model it is and whether it would be repairable (and possibly re-tuned as well)! Also recommendations about who could undertake the work. Thank you.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Help with identifying old melodeon please.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:01 PM »

This has been advertised for sale in my local area. Seller says bellows in good condition but has some sticking buttons. Does anyone know what make/model it is and whether it would be repairable (and possibly re-tuned as well)! Also recommendations about who could undertake the work. Thank you.

I spy woodworm. Be very careful!

It looks like a cheap and cheerful Saxony model. Mass produced in thousands. Not only are there sticking buttons but some are missing too.
It's difficult to assess what else might need doing wothout seeing the interior views of the reeds and action. As well as replacing the missing buttons it will definitely need a complete overhaul of the reeds and valves (and treating for woodworm!) and the cost of doing all that could prove prohibitive. Even if all the work was done, the instrument will probably never play particularly well, sorry. Best for display purposes only.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Kiaulleyder

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »

Thank you for your advice. Luckily someone else has now bought it, so it'll be their problem :)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »

You just beat me to this post! I was about to post the following: I agree with Steve; it's a mass produced cheapie and simply uneconomical to restore, even without the woodworm. I have two or three similar boxes in much better condition than this one, and they're just ornaments, not worth the time & expense to refurbish. Sorry! But at least you won't be throwing money away on a pointless restoration.

Fortunately a redundant response now......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Kiaulleyder

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »

Thank you! Glad I checked on here now before being seduced by its prettiness :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal