Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes from Stratford-upon-Avon?  (Read 1064 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Tunes from Stratford-upon-Avon?
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »

In the last few months I have been working on my family history and genealogy (which has sadly displaced some of my melodeon practice time!) and I discovered that my ancestral Smiths originally came to America in the mid-1600s from Stratford-upon-Avon. I thought it would be interesting to learn some tunes that might have been played (or even written) by my cousins who descended from those who remained. Does anyone know of any tunes that originate or were collected in Stratford-upon-Avon, or in Warwickshire more generally? I can't really recall ever reading of any.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Tunes from Stratford-upon-Avon?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 01:16:19 AM »

...Does anyone know of any tunes that originate or were collected in Stratford-upon-Avon, or in Warwickshire more generally? I can't really recall ever reading of any.
I'll leave more knowledgeable members to reply further, but I would just point out that Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwickshire generally are close to the heart of Cotswold morris dancing territory and with all the attendant tunes that go with that honour.  :M
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:16:55 AM »

I'll leave more knowledgeable members to reply further, but I would just point out that Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwickshire generally are close to the heart of Cotswold morris dancing territory and with all the attendant tunes that go with that honour.  :M

Aha, I knew there was a reason I gravitated strongly to morris tunes right from first hearing them! ;D Of course, I'm fairly sure that very few of the morris tunes we play today date back to the 17th century when my ancestors departed England (but I am ready to stand corrected about that).
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:37:11 AM »

"Galopede" (Melnet TOTM June 2012) was collected in Armscote, near Stratford - not far, in fact from Ilmington, which has, as Steve has suggested, a repertoire of morris tunes.  I suspect that most traditional tunes in the form in which we know them were collected in the 19th and 20th centuries, though many will go back a further 100 years or so. I think the 17th century might be pushing your luck, though!  That doesn't mean, of course, that the tunes don't go back that far, just that we can't prove that they did. I'll have a look through my tune lists and see if any other local tunes pop up.

Graham
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:47:45 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »

"Galopede" (Melnet TOTM June 2012) was collected in Armscote, near Stratford - not far, in fact from Ilmington, which has, as Steve has suggested, a repertoire of morris tunes.  I suspect that most traditional tunes in the form in which we know them were collected in the 19th and 20th centuries, though many will go back a further 100 years or so. I think the 17th century might be pushing your luck, though!  That doesn't mean, of course, that the tunes don't go back that far, just that we can't prove that they did. I'll have look through my tune lists and see if any other local tunes pop up.

Graham

Lumps of Plum Pudding is in Playford 1701 edition, so that's close. I'm sure there are others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLg9mawZub4

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »

Scroll down this list for The Coleford Jig, a book of tunes from Gloucestershire, tunes from near Warwickshire. Out of print atm but plans to reprint it.
http://folkopedia.efdss.org/wiki/Books_published_since_about_1900_containing_mainly_tunes_from_the_English_repertoire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal