Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Pop' on the Melodeon?  (Read 5897 times)

rileycat

• Respected Sage
'Pop' on the Melodeon?
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »

Just an idle holiday speculation - are there any modernish 'pop' type tunes/songs that can sound convincing when played on the melodeon?

I remember Telstar from the Albions (I think) and dancing to Blue Suede Shoes with them at a ceilidh in the 80's - Butlins Bognor Festival - really good!  what else - well Everley Brothers' When Will I be Loved ( 14th Feb anybody!) doesn't sound too bad, but Shadows FBI sounds a bit naff, whilst The House of the Rising Sun is really convincing to my old lug 'oles.  Finally, Cliff's Living Doll is not too good, but raises a laugh.  How about Mad World or some other more modern stuff - any thoughts?  Go on, go on, go on - just for fun. ;)

PS Walk of Life - got that on tape by cajun player Charles Mann - the riff really is proper 'cajun' and I once heard JK play and sing it at Carinas at Sidmouth FF and that was definitely convincing!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:54:06 PM by rileycat »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: 'Pop' on the Melodeon?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »

A Chuck Berry song from Johnnie Allan with Belton Richard on Cajun Accordion (that's a one row, four stop melodeon to English peeps).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHRg2nUtwQ4
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »

Try Credence Clearwater Revival's Bad Mood Rising, which has been played on Cajun accordion by Queen Ida and the Bon Temps Zydeco Band. Elvis's Wooden Heart also works, but that is hardly surprising because it is based on a traditional German folk song.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

RustyReedz

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 04:49:57 AM »

Modern Pop (Popular) music? Are you sure?

Some off the top of my head:

P’s & Q’s - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0fFzqX_Xgo

Despacito - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_fvl5eOw4

Edward Maya - Stereo Love - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Z3YrHJ1sU

J-Lo - On the Floor (AKA Lambada) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H_Zoh7G5A

Pitbull - Echa Pa’lla - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tklk9WF_1rM

Michel Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcm55lU9knw#searching

Most young people know at least 3 of these songs, so that’s about as modern as you can get.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

This fellow (a melnet member, I believe) has done a few pop tune covers on various diatonic accordions and concertinas:
https://www.youtube.com/user/weltsauerstoff/videos

For example, this is a nice version of The Kinks' Sunny Afternoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6xR07kq0o

I'm not sure this would be playable without the accidentals half-row, though.

And the title theme from Star Wars on a Preciosa!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7TAidPaqgQ
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 05:08:30 PM »

Love that Sunny Afternoon, excellent!
Thanks for discovering and sharing  Jesse
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

Good stuff, Jesse  and very fine playing, too - quite a bit of very copyable chording on the right-hand on some of the vids.  That style does make the music 'work' for me.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »

I’ve found all the notes for “All You Need Is Love” in G, but I am too shy and incompetent to record and share it.  The chromatic ornament after the line ‘All you need is love,’ requires the use of both topend accidentals on the G row.  I find it a lot of fun in private. :-)
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »

PS Walk of Life - got that on tape by cajun player Charles Mann - the riff really is proper 'cajun' and I once heard JK play and sing it at Carinas at Sidmouth FF and that was definitely convincing!!

We used to do Walk of Life in a folk dance band I played in some years back - I did the keyboard line on the melodeon. We also did Blueberry Hill, Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell, Stuck In The Middle With You and A Horse With No Name. There must be loads more...

Graham

(BTW I still do You Never Can Tell on a 1-row in the covers band I'm now working with in Cyprus!)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 08:28:31 PM »

Mr Tambourine man - I play it in G, mostly - but its easy.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Sebastian

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »

This fellow (a melnet member, I believe) has done a few pop tune covers on various diatonic accordions and concertinas:
I could provide the abc for the songs, if someone is interested. Yes, I play them mostly on a Club box, but most of them should be playable (at least in some way) on a two-row accordion, too.

If you are interested in Pop songs for melodeon, you should also visit Gubbinsville on Youtube (in case you haven't already done so).  8)

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 11:10:37 PM »

Wow Sebastian, thanks for your contributions.  Mad World from gubbins, too!  Like Chris, it is 'fun at home' I was thinking about when I posted, so I'm delighted to hear that braver souls make this stuff work so well in the real world, too.  As for me, it'll still only be on the imaginary Glastonbury Pyramid Stage in my front room, but I like to think that in some way playing these pieces is not so different from Scan Tester playing a popular dance tune from his days. Thanks all so far.

Ellisteph

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »

We used to do the instrumental bit from Status Quo's 'Burning Bridges' as part of a jig set - seemed to work really well.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 11:58:54 PM »

If we're going modern, there's this rendition of Shape of You by James R of this parish.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 11:59:24 PM »

Sebastian, if that's your Sunny Afternoon that is just so well played, I love it!
( Any abc's of would be great fully received )
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

arty

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 01:42:56 AM »

This guy has done a few, which I find impressive:   https://youtu.be/plSeTscofB0
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Andrew Kennedy

• Regular debater
    • About Sword Dancing
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »

Gimme hope, Jo'anna (Eddy Grant)

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »

In theory a large number of pop songs are possible on the melodeon if you think chord progressions rather than melodies. The most common chord progression in pop is I-V-vi-IV which equates to G-D-Em-C (or D-A-Bm-G) on a D/G melodeon.  Not a melodeon recording but here are some ideas:

4 Chords | Music Videos | The Axis Of Awesome
https://youtu.be/oOlDewpCfZQ
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:27:03 AM by nigelr »
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »

I don't know if Where do You Go to My Lovely is recent enough to be called "pop", but it's one I have been known to play. The original has a bit of accordion in it.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal