Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Pop' on the Melodeon?  (Read 5896 times)

Sebastian

Re: 'Pop' on the Melodeon?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »

In theory a large number of pop songs are possible on the melodeon if you think chord progressions rather than melodies.
Yes. The two-row has all the necessary chords - for certain tonalities. Problems arise when pop songs shift the tonality in the middle of a song in an untraditional way. An example for this is "Mrs. Brown you have a lovely daughter", which in the middle of the song shifts the tonality one major third downwards (e. g. from G to Eb, or from D to Bb): You were happily playing along - and suddenly you lose all chords and struggle to catch all those accidentals. :Ph

Another problem is the combination of chords and melody notes: More often than in trad tunes the chord bellows direction goes against the melody bellows direction. ???

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »

I don't know if Where do You Go to My Lovely is recent enough to be called "pop", but it's one I have been known to play. The original has a bit of accordion in it.

Sir John

You're right - I'd forgotten about that. I used to play the (button) accordion line for that when I was the bass-player in a social club covers band in the West Midlands back in the '80s.  We used to do it as a a quiet moment between the Who/Bad Company/Free/Thin Lizzy stuff.......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »

A few minutes of cautious experimenting confirms that many Abba songs could work on the melodeon e.g.
I Have a Dream
Take a Chance on Me
Fernando

Or for something more modern, look at the folkier end of the pop spectrum: Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, Passenger (try their "Let Her Go").

I suppose one of us should at a caveat here: just because you can, it doesn't always follow that you should...   but I believe that good strong songs will stand quite a bit of stewtching and reworking.
Marje

Sebastian

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »

Or for something more modern, look at the folkier end of the pop spectrum: Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, Passenger (try their "Let Her Go").
Most Eurodance pop plays easily too. (Note to self: Finally do a recording of What is love and Barbie Girl!)

I suppose one of us should at a caveat here: just because you can, it doesn't always follow that you should...
>:E

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »

Most Eurodance pop plays easily too. (Note to self: Finally do a recording of What is love and Barbie Girl!)
Oh my, Barbie Girl will be magnificent!

Something that I noticed feels like it was almost made with the melodeon in mind is the riff in 99 LuftBallons, the rest of the song works well too.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Sebastian

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »

Something that I noticed feels like it was almost made with the melodeon in mind is the riff in 99 LuftBallons, the rest of the song works well too.
Oh, beautiful! Could you, please, ellaborate?

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »

Working on it  ;)

Another thing that works is Disney songs, e.g., Under the Sea.
Loads of others are possible too, depending on the movie and the period (The Jazz in Jungle Book may be a tad difficult).
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 11:20:52 PM »

Then there's Yellow Submarine
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »

Followed by Lilly the Pink. Greg.  Sometimes I feel a 'Marje' moment coming on  "just because I can ......" :D

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »

I can't really play from sheet music, so this probably has loads of errors. The chords I'm pretty sure about (note the change from F#m to F# after the first verse), except the C#sus4 which is only an approximation.

Code: [Select]
X: 1
T: 99 LuftBallons
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: E
%first verse
|:"E" f2 g e3 g2|"F#m" f2 e c3 c2|"A" a2 a a3 a2|"B" a2 g f3 e2|
|"E" f2 g e3 g2|"F#m" f2 e c3 c2|"A" e2 c e3 c2| [1 "C#m" e2 c e3 f2:| [2 "C#sus4" f f2 f5 |"C#sus4" z7 E-|
% bridge 1
|:"^no chord" E E C2 E2 C2|z7 E-|E E C2 E2 C E,-|E,7 E-:|
|:E E C2 E2 C2|F G F E2 E C E-|E E C2 E2 C2| [1 B, B,2 B,2 B, C E-:| [2 "B" z  B, B, B, B, B, B, B, |]
%regular verse (more or less)
|:"E" f2 g e3 g2|"F#" f2 e c3 c2|"A" a2 a a3 a2|"B" a2 g f3 e2|
|"E" f2 g e3 g2|"F#" f2 e c3 c2|"A" e2 c e3 c2| [1 "B" f2 f g3 f2:| [2 "B?" f f2 f5 |
%bridge 2
|:"E" f2 g2 e2 g2|"F#" f2 e2 e2 g2|"A" f2 e2 e2 c2| [1 "B" e2 c e3 f2:| [2 "B" b2 g f3 e2|

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:58 PM »

Then there's the time we danced the Macarema as a participation dance. The original morris dance. I think the idea came from Armallegon
Probably should have stayed there.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 01:03:40 AM »

Then there's the time we danced the Macarema as a participation dance. The original morris dance. I think the idea came from Armallegon
Evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAOUDwhVdw

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »

Evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAOUDwhVdw

That's the one. Much classier than our attempt.  (:)
Greg Smith

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »

How about Laughing Len's "Dance me to the end of love"? Could it be classed as "pop"?
The first time I heard it was on Jules Holland's TV programme, and Mr Cohen stole the show (naturally!). I've just had a go at it on my 1 row, and found the basic tune easy enough, but nowhere near interesting enough or good enough to record. I'm sure, though, that some of you skilled 2 row players could make a lovely, full sounding, job of it.

Lala, lala lala lala............
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 05:35:35 PM »

How about Laughing Len's "Dance me to the end of love"? Could it be classed as "pop"?

Counts as pop in my book.
I  occasionally play "No Way To [say] Goodbye" when everyone's getting too cheerful in an apres morris session, just to bring on a maudlin moment. Works great on a two row.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:29:34 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »

Isn’t she lovely (Stevie wonder) - Melodeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdn1KCGii-E

Bravo! And hello and welcome.

Hello Morten, and welcome to the forum.

To help you understand a bit of the etiquette to posting here, I should point out that the way you shared ToraderM's brilliant video of him playing that Stevie Wonder hit song has given the impression that you were the person performing it. By the way, ToraderM is a member of this forum.

By all means feel free to share examples of such outstanding melodeon playing, but next time please add a bit more explanation making it clear that you're sharing a link to someone else's playing.

cheers, Ian

Morten Strand

• New Starter
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »

Thank you, ill read up on etiquette in this forum, and my english is limited.
Regards

Hello Morten, and welcome to the forum.

To help you understand a bit of the etiquette to posting here, I should point out that the way you shared ToraderM's brilliant video of him playing that Stevie Wonder hit song has given the impression that you were the person performing it. By the way, ToraderM is a member of this forum.

By all means feel free to share examples of such outstanding melodeon playing, but next time please add a bit more explanation making it clear that you're sharing a link to someone else's playing.

cheers, Ian
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal