Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hohner 3 rows  (Read 14614 times)

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
New Hohner 3 rows
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »

Took some time out today to visit Birmingham Accordion Centre - checking out several new Hohners on the block...

Hohner Morgane D/G

Added my comments to this thread...

Hohner Compadre B/C/C#.

As folks may be aware, this box (and the three reed 'Rey del Vallenato') plug the gap in Hohner's range between the Panther and the entry level Coronas.  With retro lettering, lurid monocolours and grille like a 1930s radio, it's aimed squarely at the Latin American market. Did anyone see that day-glo orange A/D/G one at last year's festivals?

Yet, according to the Hohner UK web site, they seem to have decided to produce a line of B/C/C#s. And as Henry Ford used to say, it's available in any colour, so long as it's black... which doesn't look quite so bad...!

It's a nice box, with a well balanced keyboard. And useful for those wanting a cheap but painless start with a three row British Chromatic. But, as ever, only 12 basses. Que sera sera. I didn't even bother finding out what the bass notes were...!

Oh and another funny thing... it seems that the R/H reed blocks must have been swiped from a parts bin of 'reed block readymades' (the B block off a B/E/A,the C block off a G/C/F , the C# block off something else)... the reason I say this - it had accidentals on the low notes. Which is totally bananas - Oi, Hohner, get your act together!

And (ta dah, about the first one in the UK)...

Hohner Corona Supreme A/D/G

Oh yes. This is just sooo nice! ;D

Ever wished for a Hohner that had all the very best bits put on it in the first place?

Well, this seems to be what they've done. Gold plated hardware, proper padded leatherware, and a really responsive keyboard, with black Italian style pearloid keys. Very minimal button travel too, and a incredibly precise action.

Even though this box shares an common ancestry with the Compadre, it really is in a different class. I'd even go as far to say I know this is the best ever (and sharpest looking) Hohner melodeon I've tried off the shelf.

Most of these machines (I think a limited run of 100) are been sold in the States, so if anyone wants one (in red pearloid), my advice is act now...

Ed J
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:29:02 PM by EeeJay »

george garside

Re: New Hohner 3 rows
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »

It definately looks like 12 melodeon bass which is unfortunate as are the accidentals on the low notes, given 12  stradella bass and normal BCC# low notes it would in effect be a trichord 2 which would form a very nice intro to the british chromatic  and a handy  easily portable session box for those with larger bcc# boxes.  It makes you wonder what planet the hohner designers are on when they only have to look in their history cupboard for some first class  desighns.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

They've got a Compadre in the Music Room in Cleckheaton.  Didn't try it though so can't add any info on the bass,  the grille looks like it was designed by Spiderman though :D

They also had what appeared to be a Dino Bafetti BCC# with Piano Accordion basses, looked like a continental chromatic button accordion (that is with the distinctive black/white buttons) with diatonic reed blocks fitted.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »

It makes you wonder what planet the hohner designers are on when they only have to look in their history cupboard for some first class  designs.

Too right! If Paolo Soprani can ressurect the old grey box, surely Hohner can do a retake on the Shand Morino? Although pigs might fly first... ;D

They also had what appeared to be a Dino Bafetti BCC# with Piano Accordion basses, looked like a continental chromatic button accordion (that is with the distinctive black/white buttons) with diatonic reed blocks fitted.

This one, I assume...

Music Room's website says it's tuned to B/C/F. Dino Baffetti have this listed in their inventory as a chromatic button accordion - obviously someone thought it might be a good idea to try one as a diatonic. The treble layout looks a little limited (only 28 keys), but it's certainly something different...

Ed J

george garside

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »

can't see any point whatsoever on a BCF  rather than BCC#  as F is dead easy on the latter

george

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »

Darren - by any chance, did you see this one on the shelves at Cleckheaton..?

A secondhand Saltarelle Glen...

Ed J

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »

Ed,

I don't think I saw it and I would have thought I'd remember it as I've never seen a mother of toilet seat Saltarelle before but, unlike the pope, I'm not infallible.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »

Ed J

I saw it the last time I was there. Didn't play it though. I've never seen anything like that from Saltarelle before either!
Faversham, Kent

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »

can't see any point whatsoever on a BCF  rather than BCC#  as F is dead easy on the latter

Hey George, using this logic there would be no point whatsoever in a C#DG since G would be dead easy on C#DD#.  And by extension, no point whatsoever in a DG since G is dead easy on a DD#.

Oder?  8)

george garside

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »

Ed J
[/quote

Looking on music room website this box looks as if it  has only 2 voice musette + low reed set, it being  more usual on 3 voice BCC# boxes to have full 3 voice musette.  If anybody is thinking of buying it make sure that the air bar is good & long so yu can rech it whil playing all the bass buttons  and also that the air valve itself is  a lot bigger than on a piano accordion.  It is essential that the bellows move very freely when air valve in use and too smaller air hole is a common fault on  one off boxes  made to special order by firms not used to british chromatics.  I was once offered a superb Bugari  120 bass which was virtually unplayable  as it only had a piano accordion airbutton and tiny air hole.  The shand morino    and the hohner gaelic  are both superb in this respect and the Fantini should be ( I havn't tried one.). much better than my casali or paolo soprani on both of which I have had to   improve the ventilation! I am aassuming this was a one off special as it is the only salterelle BCC# I have come accross - has anybody else seen another like it.

george

gorge
'

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

Oh wow... :o just discovered these - brand spanking new for 2008... ;D

Hohner Corona Xtreme...

Quote:- These three new 'Xtreme' models have 34 buttons (the standard Corona has 31) and include reed switches - three on the Tex-Mex Corona II Xtreme and five on the norteƱo and vallenato tuned Corona III Xtremes.

Now if Hohner could fit a 60 bass stradella...

Ed J
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:26:55 PM by EeeJay »

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:45 PM »

Looking on music room website this box looks as if it  has only 2 voice musette + low reed set, it being  more usual on 3 voice BCC# boxes to have full 3 voice musette.  If anybody is thinking of buying it make sure that the air bar is good & long so yu can rech it whil playing all the bass buttons  and also that the air valve itself is  a lot bigger than on a piano accordion.  It is essential that the bellows move very freely when air valve in use and too smaller air hole is a common fault on  one off boxes  made to special order by firms not used to british chromatics.  I was once offered a superb Bugari  120 bass which was virtually unplayable  as it only had a piano accordion airbutton and tiny air hole.  The shand morino and the hohner gaelic  are both superb in this respect and the Fantini should be ( I havn't tried one.). much better than my casali or paolo soprani on both of which I have had to   improve the ventilation! I am assuming this was a one off special as it is the only salterelle BCC# I have come accross - has anybody else seen another like it.

george

Charlie Watkins had a Saltarelle Glen listed a year or so ago. I don't know whether it was this one or another; I haven't kept the newsletter it was in. I note this model doesn't appear to have any bass couplers - a bit of an omission on a box at this price.
Regarding air holes - both Fantini BCC# owners I know have modified theirs to increase the size, and a third was advertised in the Box & Fiddle magazine as having a Shand Morino air valve fitted; indications of a general problem with this model. Unlike yourself, I've found no problem with the air valve on the Paolo Soprani 3-row, and it doesn't look to have been altered in any way. Perhaps this detail is down to the box vintage or worker involved.

george garside

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »

Bill
I would have expected the fantini to have an air hole copied from the shand morino as it's claimed to be 'in the image' thereof!.  As to Paolo Sopranis   I think it does depend on vintage as I have come aaccross ones that are spot on  and some bloody awful.  The worst I had was one with a stepped treble keboard & 80 bass - great reeds & action  but even with the airhole enlarged to maximum possible it far from good.  I think the problem is that  3 rows  tend to be designed by those unable to play them! and so they are not properly tested before production.  Obviously Jimmy Shand had a large input into the desighn of the Shand Morino and I suspect he was consulted on the design of the Gaelic  which I have always viewed as  extremely playable- a sort of poor mans Shand Morino.

It is interesting that there seems to be an increased availability of british chromatics, The Fantini, Clinkscale 48 & 105 bass, Accordions of london had some brnd new 72 bass maade about 4 years ago (but unplayable as had little piano accordion airbutton)  the aforementioned  salterelle and  one or two castagnari specials. Also I believe Serenellini did a 60 bass a couple of years ago for Andy Banks (Shand Morino player ) from Birmingham.  Does anybody know of any more new/current models.

Those who havn,tried one don't know what they are missing!  Perhaps my BC/BCC# tutor book which shuld be reaady by April will encourage a few more people to have a go ( says he taking the opportunity to give the b ook a quick plug!)

george

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »

Does anybody know of any more new/current models.

george

George, 18 months ago when I was looking for an organetto I found a few Italian makers did have 3 row diatonics with piano accordion basses.  Guistozzi certainly do one but, from memory it is 5 voice bass and 4 voice treble and is a hefty beast (9kgs?)

http://www.giustozzi.it/Catalogo/vetrina/scheda_eng.asp?IdC=C0057&PCat=;0;C0035;C0057;&IdP=150/A

Ciao Bellow

Darren

george garside

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 05:59:25 PM »

have haaad a look on their website & this one appears under 'club' diatonics with nomention of tuning so presumably can be ordered in BCC#, GCF   or whatever you want. The spec seems very like the 80 bass paolo soprani.  I will contct them for more info and also to explore possibility of 48/60 bass  & BCC# tuning on their smaller  12 bass 3 row boxes.

george'

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »

George, I've got two of their boxes and I'm very happy with both of them.  They are good at replying to emails (in good English) and providing what the customer wanted.  They are a small concern and last year lost the owner and one of their most experienced employees so have been a bit short staffed this year.

The build quality, whilst not castagnari, are good value for the money.  I think they deserve to be much better known in this country as good as Dino Bafetti but cheaper (no Music Room taking their cut I suppose)

I'll be very interested in their reply.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Jon Loomes

• Performer, Recording Engineer, Luthier.
  • Regular debater
  • Non plaudite. Pecuniam jacite.
    • www.jonloomes.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »

Re the blue MOP Baffetti 60 bass 3 row in Cleckheaton - It's keyed B/C/F - I guess this is the same logic as a C#/D/G box (ie, you can play D/G English style or C#/D Irish on one instrument) - but this one is down a tone. It's very strange and there's a couple of buttons at the top of the keyboard that don't seem to do anything. Having said that, it sounds great and plays really nicely.

Cheers,
Jon

george garside

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »

Re the blue MOP Baffetti 60 bass 3 row in Cleckheaton - It's keyed B/C/F - I guess this is the same logic as a C#/D/G box (ie, you can play D/G English style or C#/D Irish on one instrument) - but this one is down a tone. It's very strange and there's a couple of buttons at the top of the keyboard that don't seem to do anything. Having said that, it sounds great and plays really nicely.

Cheers,
Jon

CAn't see the point of these 'hybrid' boxes, particularly when  fitted with stradella bass  (or trixiwhatever bass).  Why a F inside row as F is very easy to play on a BCC#  . Having F on inside row gives very little gain , if any, but loses out hugely when compared to having a C# row which  provides easy playing of the 'flat' keys  as well as accidentals in very useful choices of direction. Similarly  the C# DG has little gain as G is quite easy on a C#D and it does not provide the ease of playing chromatically that can be had from a one row in C with 2 rows of accidentals!. 

The Dg  can have an advantage for  dance band or solo dance accompaniment  when compared to an 8 bass BC.because of its ability to 'drive a rhythm with the bass'  ( provided that this is required i.e. that the 'band' would otherwise be short of bass accompanyment.)   This does not apply to BC/BCC# with stradella bass which gives access to whatever rhythm or harmony    required.

As to bouncy English or smooth Irish style, if we exclude the bounce given by the bass on a Dg   either can be played on either type of box ( and indeed on a piano accordion or continental chromatic.  As Waltham said in a past posting its up to the player not the box or words to that effect.

I await a barrage of other views with interest.

george

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 09:06:49 AM »

As to bouncy English or smooth Irish style, if we exclude the bounce given by the bass on a Dg   either can be played on either type of box ( and indeed on a piano accordion or continental chromatic.  As Waltham said in a past posting its up to the player not the box or words to that effect.

I await a barrage of other views with interest.

george

Well my barrage is to agree George. I think there is a lot of rubbish talked about the suitabilty of certain instruments to certain types of music. Listen to Alastair Anderson on English concertina or John Kirkpatrick on Anglo. They don't comply with the "known stereotypes" and both happily play smooth or rythmic on their chosen box.

As for "accordions", well I'd rather listen to a highly proficient PA (gasp!) player than a poor melodeon player - even if it is for Morris. Having grown up hearing a very good classical and dance band PA player (my dad) I know just what a punchy instrument even a big 120 bass PA can be  - in the right hands. After all you can put in bellows reversals anywhere you want on a PA (and you shouldn't necessarily need reversals to get a "lift" anyway, it's just easier).

Not that I'm an advocate for said box in folk and morris. No, I'm firmly a DG man. I love my little lightweight box and it does everything I want to be able to do. Although I loved hearing the old man play, I never wanted a PA.

Incidentally, why has the CBA seemingly found favour in this forum where the PA is still largely frowned upon? I had the impression it was the unisonoric nature of the PA folks didn't like. Clearly it's actually just the fact that it hasn't got buttons.

Roy.

george garside

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »

I have seen a picture of a button layout version of piano accordion  working exactly the same as piano keybord but wtih 2 rows of buttons aas far as I can remember this was of a very early instrument - can the history men throw any light on this.

george
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal