Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2019: The Lounge Bar  (Read 13567 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2019: The Lounge Bar
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 11:15:17 PM »

But good to be playing again.
Yes Pete, it's good to hear this. Sorry as I may have not included you but next NE Melodeon Group session is this Thursday!
Sorry Nigel, missed this. Difficult for me to get there with being a taxi service for my daughter every Thursday evening.
On the subject of chords for Lounge Bar - my DG box B5 chord is a noticeably higher voicing than other chords. Is this common? I think the piece would sound better on my box (old Sander model) if the B in the chord was below the F#. (When the 3rds are in the D# is the lowest note). Is that possible / sensible to change? I don't think the B is used for any other chord.

What are others trying for left hand for this tune (not in terms of harmonies, but rhythm and texture)?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 07:05:29 AM »

... my DG box B5 chord is a noticeably higher voicing than other chords. Is this common? I think the piece would sound better on my box (old Sander model) if the B in the chord was below the F#. (When the 3rds are in the D# is the lowest note). Is that possible / sensible to change? I don't think the B is used for any other chord.
I've forgotten what make your D/G box is, but it's true that the voicing (inversions) of the chords can vary from one maker to another.
In my opinion Castgnari have the voicing exactly right, so that no one particular note in the chord sounds too high or too low.

In the B major chord, Castagnari always have it voiced in root position. But other makers (e.g. Dino Baffetti as I recall) have the chord in 1st inversion which puts the B as the highest note in the chord, which makes it a bit too strident for my liking.

I'll attach a generic chord voicing chart for Castagnari D/G melodeons which is applicable for both 8 and 12 button left hand layouts.
Several years go I made a rather scruffy comparison chart of chord voicing for several other makes. I'll try to find it, tidy it up and post it on the forum.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:31:44 AM by Clive Williams »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 11:16:07 AM »

Several years go I made a rather scruffy comparison chart of chord voicing for several other makes. I'll try to find it, tidy it up and post it on the forum.

Now posted here:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,23350.0.html
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

playandteach

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »

Thanks, Steve.
My box is an older Castagnari Sander, and the B chord is in first inversion, not in root position. Are there any issues with getting that changed? (size of reed chamber etc.).
So, what are people trying with this piece as far as left hand goes?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 02:52:11 PM »

My box is an older Castagnari Sander, and the B chord is in first inversion, not in root position. Are there any issues with getting that changed? (size of reed chamber etc.).

It should be possible, but you would need the B tonic reed an octave lower than at present. In turn that would mean a longer reed tongue, although not necessarily a longer reed plate. The other point to consider is what note the paired pull reed plays - it will be part of the E minor chord, so you would need to determine what it is for your instrument and either order a replacement reed plate accordingly, or ask one of the fettlers to add a weight to the B tonic reed tongue to drop it down the octave. I would think Theo would be able to advise you on this.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »

So, what are people trying with this piece as far as left hand goes?

I'm just getting ready to post my version, so while Windows Movie Maker loads the video file, I've got plenty of time to answer! I think it's a fairly straightforward (to my ear anyway) thing in Bm, with Bm / A / G chord runs and the occasional D thrown in. I don't think I've put in any fancier chords than that. Looking at Annlaug's video, I think it may be being played on the inner row of an A/D; it makes sense on the inner row of a D/G too, but comes out in Em of course, with Em / D / C and G being the prominent chords.

playandteach

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 04:47:11 PM »

That's helpful Clive. I wasn't actually asking about chord choice, but style of left hand. However, the inner row thing might make sense. I'll try it.

playandteach

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:11 PM »

Right, that only took a minute to feel familiar, and to sound better. But then I spend my melodeon life playing in that key (= A minor on a GC box). Not the same challenge. I might stick to the challenge of playing it (without a low B) in B minor on the DG just for the heck. The other problem for me in the right key on  DG is air management, which I've just found out is no problem in Em. Interesting.
Also, therefore went back to Mel's version, and found out that her B5 chord is with the F# on top, unlike mine which has the B on top. Which (apart from her skill of course) is why I'm finding that method less fulfilling for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:09:09 PM by playandteach »

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »

Here's my version; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJNliS8dY2s - it's in D on a D/G Castagnari Giasco. It's a nice tune - think I'll keep it in the repertoire :-)

Ellisteph

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »

Here's my go at this one. I enjoyed learning it; found the trickiest bit following the C part with the B part. Once you've cracked that, I find it all falls into place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0S0Zk_Tig
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 02:24:27 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0aSoRzRAE

Been learning TotMs quite a lot lately and not getting up the gumption to record and post ::)

But so enjoyed learning this while playing along with Mel on her video that feel I owe it to Mel to actually take part.  I wonder how many other people round the world have been doing the same - spending their evenings scrutinising Mel's recording and then feeling elated when they can manage to play along?

And, as we all know, when recording it came out nothing like I had practised... but the mistakes are all my own - see Mel's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIBk6enOQE) for how it was meant to sound :|||:

Thank you Mel (:)

Ellisteph

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0aSoRzRAE

Been learning TotMs quite a lot lately and not getting up the gumption to record and post ::)

But so enjoyed learning this while playing along with Mel on her video that feel I owe it to Mel to actually take part.  I wonder how many other people round the world have been doing the same - spending their evenings scrutinising Mel's recording and then feeling elated when they can manage to play along?

And, as we all know, when recording it came out nothing like I had practised... but the mistakes are all my own - see Mel's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIBk6enOQE) for how it was meant to sound :|||:

Thank you Mel (:)
Well done! Looking forward to more videos now you've taken the plunge.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

playandteach

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 10:06:31 PM »

Good stuff, Spikey. I too have been learning tunes, but not uploading due to lack of satisfaction in my playing. Might well record this one, but only right hand as i can't find a good way of playing the chords, or at least a way that adds anything worthwhile.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »

I like the song, especially its melody. The left hand, however, is very complicated to get right and so I opted for a very simple bass approach. Often enough I find myself trying out new or unusual rhythmic patterns for the left hand, sometimes bouncy, sometimes soft. After a few rounds I normally resort to what I've done in this recording. Oh well, maybe some day the perfect left hand accompaniment will appear.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/the-lounge-bar-take-2

As always, a few mistakes here and there but it's a decent recording of where I stand currently regarding this tune. Feedback appreciated.

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »

Here's my version; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJNliS8dY2s - it's in D on a D/G Castagnari Giasco. It's a nice tune - think I'll keep it in the repertoire :-)

That's nice and lovely sounding box. The chord sequence here reminiscent of the "Lord of the Rings".

playandteach

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 10:54:32 PM »

As always, a few mistakes here and there but it's a decent recording of where I stand currently regarding this tune. Feedback appreciated.
Feedback. Well done sounds lovely. Only comment is that I like videos above soundcloud and I always watch videos all the way through for some reason.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 11:33:26 PM »

Feedback. Well done sounds lovely. Only comment is that I like videos above soundcloud and I always watch videos all the way through for some reason.

Thank you, p&t, much appreciated. (:)

I've heard that remark quite a few times already and if I'm not mistaken more often from you than from anybody else. My answer is the same as always: I don't have a webcam for my PC and I too much (!) prefer decent audio quality to use anything else than my trusty microphone setup. One day, I'll get a webcam. Not today though. ;-)

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »

Cutting it fine, but here we are  :D

https://youtu.be/9VAJ34qyQ7c
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »

Well worth waiting for!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »

'zackly, that's lovely Saul!
A lovely warm bass..... Yep, lovely stuff.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal