Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2019: The Lounge Bar  (Read 13564 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2019: The Lounge Bar
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »

"Nothing wrong with a bit of editing."

Sorry, but naaaah! With some clever editing, even my playing could sound good! It's cheating!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 04:21:59 PM »

Hi,
Some really nice versions of this tune here which I am really enjoying. Saul, your playing is superb.
I, too have heard this tune and watched Annlaug Börsheim + Rannveig Djönne playing it.
My observation is that it is in D or Bm (not being a musician I don't know how to tell  ;D ) and I think that Rannveig is playing an accordeon in A/D.
If we follow her fingering pattern on a D/G we would play in G or Em and on a G/C we would play in C or Am.
I just wonder why everyone is playing it in D or Bm on (dare I say) the wrong box?
I know it's possible but just more difficult especially as I think we must have an accordeon with low notes.
Roland

PLEASE NOTE:-  This is only an idle observation and it is not my intention to open a can of worms.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 05:05:50 PM »

https://youtu.be/_XhC8bDihM0

It's hard to follow Saul's definitive interpretation, which seems to me to retain the spirit of the original, as adapted to solo box.

I'm wondering what dance this is used for in Norway. Does anyone know?...the 6/8 makes it a jig, but they play it rather slow for a jig, don't they?  (M=95, whereas we would play a  Chapelloise at about M=120, and don't Irish jigs go even faster)?    So  a typical jig backing didn't appeal to me.

I did try to play this in (DG-speak)  B minor/ D major fingering, but the B chord sounded wrong (same as P&T's).
Then I found that it was a lot easier to play in Eminor/ Gmajor fingering (coming out Dm & F major on my CF box). 
My plan was to use smooth sustained chords to allow the tune to carry all the rhythm, then to reduce the number of chord changes, so that the chord which fits one bar is carried over to the next bar, even when the melody would usually call for a different chord.
However, in the B music I did allow more chord changes for the major feel.
Using few chord changes meant that most of the tune is played on the pull, which required learning some tricky fingering.
And I learned a new fingering technique of sliding a finger from one button to another, when otherwise there wouldn't be enough fingers for the arpeggio just before the B music.
It was meant to sound tranquil, but after many mistakes and several takes, a bit of irritation  arose
I enjoyed learning the tune. Thanks to whoever suggested it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:15:22 PM by Jackhumphreys »

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »

Just seen your post Roland.  We think alike!  It's readily playable in Em/G fingering (DG-speak)  It's there in the previously posted ABC, labelled key of G.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »

[[[ ADMIN: Topic duly split into a separate chat thread. I've been thinking about how to handle discussions like this, and I certainly don't want to stop them. So what I think we'll do is keep doing (reasonably relevant) chat about TOTM in the main thread, but once it runs its course move the non-tune stuff off into the chat thread. ]]]

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »

I made this video quickly this morning specially for Melnet.
 I think I am using the same fingering pattern as  Rannveig Djönne is using on their video and I am playing my Evo G/C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksalIkaO9aY&feature=youtu.be

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »

Thanks Jack and yes, of course it will work as a jig for e.g. chapelloise, even if that's not the intention of the composer.
You lost me with the bass line as I actually don't know what I did without analysing it  :D I just pushed the button which felt ok  ;D
Anyway, I really like this tune !

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

Lots of great sounding versions and boxes here. I didn't want to go back to playing it in Em as that is the finger patterns that I'm most used to and I wanted to try something else. Jack, I think you've made huge progress - great stuff. I seem to remember that you said early on that you found it hard to stay in time (trying to remember your comment, rather than me thinking of your playing - I might have mis-remembered, or confused you with someone else), well there's certainly no trace of that here.
Bravo all so far.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »

"I just wonder why everyone is playing it in D or Bm on (dare I say) the wrong box?"
It's coz that's the box I've got. I wanted to play it in the same key as the original and I don't have a G/C box. Sounds a bit Eric Morecambe but I'm playing it in the right key even if it is on the wrong box.  (:)

Sebastian

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »

I just wonder why everyone is playing it in D or Bm on (dare I say) the wrong box?
I'm tempted to say, because they know enough musical theory to read the notes, but not enough to understand them. >:E

But I know that there are many participants here, who do in fact understand the music but maybe see it as a challenge of virtuosity to play their box in a key it wasn't build for. :|||: 8)

In general, it is (nowadays) pointless to adhere to an 'original' key, because all keys sound equal within themselves and it is irrelevant whether a tune is played some Hz higher or lower (or some bps faster or slower, or on the whistle or on the fiddle). :|glug :M :||:

Thoon

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »

Even if I am sick :-[, here is a short recording of this beautiful tune. No editing, marvelous sound and picture of my phone! ;D. I will perhaps try again with better conditions and health...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzXcQ0aOysA

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »

Get well soon Thoon, can't wait for the full version!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »

Even if I am sick :-[, here is a short recording of this beautiful tune. No editing, marvelous sound and picture of my phone! ;D. I will perhaps try again with better conditions and health...

Hope the sickness' embrace will soon loosen its grip on you and you'll get well sooner than later. Nice playing indeed!

Having said that: Shame on whoever filmed! A phone can and should be held horizontally when filming. :D

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »

All right!  What it is!
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »

OK, here it is from me.
https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/the-lounge-bar

A little nervously to start with, I think this will stay with me so hopefully improve as it mulches in!
Still concentrating on which part comes next...…. but I love the way the B parts come in throughout the tune.
It's a lovely tune. Really lovely.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Ransom

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »

Well that's been a trip, hasn't it.
Mine comes out something like this:
https://youtu.be/pZRkGC0O6Hk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2019, 09:53:58 PM »

Q, love it to bits!
Ransom, that's just lovely. An object lesson in sensitive playing.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Chris Thomas

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »

This is my first ever go at this. The bass has come out rather dominant in the recording:

https://youtu.be/2yfNl3s8QCI

I kept it nice and short... (:)

Chris

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »

Ah so many things to comment..

This is my first ever go at this.

And you did very well even on video! While the playing overall was great (especially your right hand), I think you could maybe reconsider your choice of chords and basses in part A. Your little variation of part B is cool and your part C sounded flawless to me. Thanks for sharing.

I think I am using the same fingering pattern as  Rannveig Djönne is using on their video and I am playing my Evo G/C.

I feel that this song sounds extremely good on a G/C - such a soft and mellow tone you produced. Not much to suggest here in terms of improvements as I think it's already pretty near to perfect.

OK, here it is from me.
[...]
It's a lovely tune. Really lovely.

It's only as lovely as you make it and you definitely nailed it with a bit of an upbeat feeling to it.
However, I'd like to add a short remark about the recording quality itself: The mic/equalizers/etc seem good enough to me but changing your recording environment might drastically improve the quality of your clips even more. This one sounds like it's been recorded in a bathroom or hallway. Maybe try recording in a smaller room with some cloth here and there (curtains, sofa, etc) or sitting in a corner of a room so that the audio of your box will be directly reflected into the room. (Not trying to start a discussion about recording quality again. Just want to suggest some way to improve it.)

@everyone: So many awesome recordings of this tune. Thank you all for posting these.
Best wishes, Fred

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 03:57:02 PM »

Hi Fred,
Thanks for our comments.
Yes, I recorded it in our conservatory, where I normally practice. My original recordings were considerably worse as I used to sit in front of the recorder so it picked up everything going on inside the mechanism. Now I point it away from me and play at a right angle to it. That has made a big improvement.
With my hearing I have lost my top frequencies, so it makes sense that what sounds ok to me sounds ipovly bright to others,
Thanks for the thoughts, I will try other more furnished rooms and see how it all sounds.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal