Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month: Tunes from the British Isles  (Read 6560 times)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
Re: Theme of the Month: Tunes from the British Isles
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 11:37:58 PM »

Another thumbs up!  Lovely sounding one-row.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments :|bl but most of the credit goes to the Clipper, it is just the best! I think I have played it every day since I got it.

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 12:53:37 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/tuftyabc/the-road-to-ballisadarelemmy-brazils-2mp3
The first tune came from Rose Murphy, I came across it on "Round the House and Mind the Dresser" edited by Reg Hall. Played on a D Clipper.

The Rose Murphy track The road to Ballysodare was originally published on her 1977 LP Milltown Lass (12TS316) -11 of the 21 tracks are melodeon.   A good source of old time Irish fiddle and accordion tunes and an interesting contrast to the Sliabh Luachra LPs being published at that time

It sounds a little strange, and difficult to play along with, until you realise that Rose played 'push and draw' in the key of B on the outside row of a BC melodeon.
Hohner Erica D/G.

Ellisteph

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »

Here's two more tunes from John Offord's book John of the Green the Cheshire Way. The tunes follow each other in the book and I think they go well together. I've changed the key of the first (it was in Am) to Gm so they are both in the same key - for ease of playing. The Good Old way has been recorded by Leveret and Barbara Ellen by Boldwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-pkGWubn8
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 04:27:13 PM »

Jock o' Hazeldean

A tune from the British Isles that I learned on the British Isles!
I heard the song in a session Nigel took me to and I fell in love, so I asked the friendly gentleman next to me for its name, getting back some unintelligible gibberish (not his fault really, considering the name). Asking him to repeat it once or twice was of no help so I gave up.
Luckily, the next week at Frank & Corrie's, I tried to play an excerpt from what I remembered of the tune and see if they can help. Even though I was murdering the harmonics in a minor (pun definitely intended) way, Corrie recognised it immediately and they helped me spell the name for later use.
Thanks to everyone involved!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:20:49 PM by Eshed »
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »

"Jock o' Hazeldean"

Yes I sing this and play it as well. A great wee song

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 01:16:16 AM »

Hello,

I've used this month's let's say slightly looser theme to play what have become a couple of my favourite tunes, and which have helped me improve my ability to find chords on the left hand side quickly. If you've been anywhere near me in real life, you're probably mostly sick of these tunes, since I tend to play them quite a bit to myself!

They are, comparatively, contemporary tunes, but they are both technically from the British Isles! They're both 32 bar jigs, and I transposed both tunes from A harmonic minor to E harmonic minor, since on the DG melodeon, that's pretty much your only choice - that's E minor tonic with a B major. These were also the tunes that fully convinced me that reversing both accidental plates on my instruments was the way to go.

The Serpent With Corners was written by Thomas Bending, the tune is available here: http://www.thomasbending.co.uk/tunesdances/index.htm and he's from around Middlesex near London. I learnt about this tune through one of the other members of Anonymous Morris, a lady named Jan who plays concertina and accordion, who may have picked it up from either a concertina group, or perhaps a workshop. Thanks Jan! Also, thanks Thomas, for giving me the OK to share your tune here like this!

Danbury Hill by Greg Trice is a tune I learnt from the (recorded) playing of Anahata, the 2nd tune in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8k8ne78RI - where you can also find some further details about Greg Trice in the video description. I got reminded of it by Sam Horlock, of Hobgoblin Southampton at Wimborne Folk Festival this year I think, and then a few weeks after, it was knocking around in my head again and I posted about it here, and helpfully got directed to the tune by Anahata himself, and decided that I should learn it. Hopefully Greg Trice wrote this tune somewhere in the British Isles and not while away somewhere on holiday!

Both tunes 'should' include a low D# C# B run, which my instrument is unable to play. In both cases I've made small tweaks to get around this - different tweaks than Anahata used, since I also don't have a low B on the BPII. Or low C natural for that matter.

Also I think my phone was overheating and decided to drop some frames from the video, hopefully not too big a deal.

So, with no further beating around the bush:

The Serpent With Corners and Danbury Hill
https://youtu.be/B3hBxmmZd4I

Nice to have a video done before the end of the month, for once!

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 01:54:25 AM »

I really enjoyed your playing Gena!
As someone who's not familiar with the tunes, I have no idea where the tweaks were, so I suppose they worked :)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »

I doubt anyone knows where Greg was when he wrote it, but Danbury Hill is definitely in Essex!

The original was in A minor,  and the 8th bar ended with a G#F#E which in my tranposition to Em would need a low D#.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »

I really enjoyed your playing Gena!
As someone who's not familiar with the tunes, I have no idea where the tweaks were, so I suppose they worked :)

Thanks Eshed! I had wanted to post prior to my submission to mention that I'd rather quite enjoyed the right hand harmony notes in your playing, and that I'm quite happy to see the 'G' bellows box getting shown off again - I do have a fondness for how the two ends mesh together, acoustically! I break out my Nero from time to time for that, but, I also know why it tends to stay on the shelf.

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »

Here's two more tunes from John Offord's book John of the Green the Cheshire Way. The tunes follow each other in the book and I think they go well together. I've changed the key of the first (it was in Am) to Gm so they are both in the same key - for ease of playing. The Good Old way has been recorded by Leveret and Barbara Ellen by Boldwood.

Nice! And you beat me to Barbara Allan, which I've also fallen for and have been working on.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »

...The Good Old way has been recorded by Leveret ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-pkGWubn8

One of my favourite tunes and very nicely done
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Ellisteph

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »

One of my favourite tunes and very nicely done
[/quote]

Nice! And you beat me to Barbara Allan, which I've also fallen for and have been working on.
[/quote]

Grateful thanks to both of you for the feedback. Always pleased to know that someone has enjoyed a post; and I would also like to hear another take on Barbara Allan so please go ahead!

Ellisteph

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »

So, with no further beating around the bush:

The Serpent With Corners and Danbury Hill
https://youtu.be/B3hBxmmZd4I

Nice to have a video done before the end of the month, for once!
Nicely played Gena - I particularly like your left hand work, though the right is working pretty hard too!
I think that if I had learnt these tunes, I would play them rather a lot as well.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »

Nicely played Gena - I particularly like your left hand work

Thank you, although mostly I would put it down to stubbornness - the score that I got came with chords, I heard those same chords when I made it into a midi, I have all those chords on the instrument, so, by jove, I'm going to try and play them! Bass runs included, if at all possible!

The score is available on Thomas Bending's website (linked in my original post) and I've chatted with him a few times about how best to solve my absent note woes and about how neat his tune is (and also asking his permission to share it here) - he seems nice! I should note that most of the melody sequences for each chord can be played without a bellows reversal, further adding to it's slippery but square appeal. So, it's not really too complicated, at least not in terms of figuring out what you ought to be doing. I'd say, if anyone ever thought about it, it's worth it to learn it with 3rds in, if you have them, and dance around a little for the Am chords, so you can keep those rich B majors.

Quite unlike learning how to play Danbury Hill's B music, which required sitting down and breaking it into teeny tiny parts in order get my head & fingers around the cross rhythm.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 02:20:46 PM »

... and on to the next theme! Stick late contribs on the end as usual!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal