Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoulder Strap Preference  (Read 3754 times)

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
Shoulder Strap Preference
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:40:20 PM »

The only shoulder strap that I'm sort of familiar with is a single strap that just slings over your right shoulder and helps to keep pressure on your treble side. They should have top and bottom mounts as far as I know. Of the three boxes I have, only one came with a "U" shaped mount and only on the bottom? This is pretty confusing for my old brain. I plan on buying new mounts from CGM but it looks like he only sells one type of unpadded single strap and it seems a tad short (up to 84cm) Maybe this is enough but again, unpadded. I'm not that fat but plan on gaining some weight (I'm a realist). Anyways, I'm up for opinions on the single strap for those who like this method. Wasn't really looking for the twin straps although maybe if I buy a set I can set up two boxes?

Thoughts?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Shoulder Strap Preference
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

off-topic posts removed.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »

Bear in mind that if you buy a set of two straps one is likely to be longer than the other.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:20:52 PM »

Bear in mind that if you buy a set of two straps one is likely to be longer than the other.

That's a really god point. My buddy's system that I'm basing this off of uses a single strap that he had to get lengthened to accommodate 42". He does have a bit more belly than I do but it's nice to have adjustments in case anyone else wants to use it. I might try some of the straps from a piano accordion I have.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »

You can't beat a Mally Strap if you are content with unpadded. I use them on all my boxes and I'm size 96 extra fat so the 115cm length is good

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »

Hmm... I've bought a few sets over the years and I can categorically say this has never been the case.  I can't think why it would be to be honest?
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »

Hmm... I've bought a few sets over the years and I can categorically say this has never been the case.  I can't think why it would be to be honest?

It's quite normal in the sets I have bought, the treble side one should be longer than the bass side on to enable to keyboard to lay on the centre of the body. It is possible you have not noticed that one could be extended more than the other?

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »

It's quite normal in the sets I have bought, the treble side one should be longer than the bass side on to enable to keyboard to lay on the centre of the body. It is possible you have not noticed that one could be extended more than the other?

Hmm... interesting.  Nope, got a set here still packaged and they are the same length with the same extend-y bit. E-bay purchase. Well I shall add that to the list of 'interesting things I learnt today' :)

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »

You can't beat a Mally Strap if you are content with unpadded. I use them on all my boxes and I'm size 96 extra fat so the 115cm length is good

Doesn't get more basic than that. Having no experience playing I appreciate your input. The leather doesn't dig in for you?

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »

Doesn't get more basic than that. Having no experience playing I appreciate your input. The leather doesn't dig in for you?

+ 1 for the Mally strap from me.  My first box, a Pokerwork came with one.  I've now added a second strap (Ed Rennie gave me an old strap to add at my first beginners' workshop with him and I've been a two-strapper ever since) but the Mally strap is still in service, no digging in. TBH I probably prefer it to the padded straps I've subsequently bought for other boxes.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »

For light boxes I use a camera strap. Works fine for me, but then I never play standing up. There are even times when I can't stand up:: however  :Ph

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 08:56:29 PM »

+ 1 for the Mally strap from me.  My first box, a Pokerwork came with one.  I've now added a second strap (Ed Rennie gave me an old strap to add at my first beginners' workshop with him and I've been a two-strapper ever since) but the Mally strap is still in service, no digging in. TBH I probably prefer it to the padded straps I've subsequently bought for other boxes.
[/quote]

Thanks so much Helena. I've just been looking at the padded straps on my piano (two different lengths) and they look really bulky. So you are a two strap convert? Strange that my early Hohners have no provisions for straps. Just a thumb strap which I can't get behind.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »

So you are a two strap convert? Strange that my early Hohners have no provisions for straps. Just a thumb strap which I can't get behind.

Yes. pretty much from day 1 - I'd only had my pokerwork about ten days when I went to Ed's workshop  ' let's just say he is a strong advicate of the two-strap system.

That said, if you're new to all this expect to spend an inordinate amount of time adjusting,  altering and fussing with straps for a while. At first nothing seems to work but in time you'll find you can play other people's boxes without much difficulty.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 09:38:33 PM »

Sorry if I confused you, Helena, I have always had two straps on my boxes and I  have owned 5 pairs of straps. All five came from a different source. Every set had one longer than the other.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »

All my pairs of straps are different lengths.
They've come supplied with Castsgnari, and I've bought 2 sets from CGM. All have a longer treble strap.
I'm a 2 strapper, right from the start as it made sense to me, but others might differ.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 06:01:57 PM »

my box is fitted with two straps and if im playing standing i use both but if im playing sat down i just use the longer strap but around my right upper arm -but one strap is def longer than the other

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »

OK we're in danger of getting a bit too far off topic now to be of help to the OP but seriously, I've been playing my Oakwood and my Nuage tonight and out of curiosity checked out the straps - nope, definitely the same.

Sure, I have them adjusted to different lengths but the straps themselves are exactly the same length - i.e. one is not capable of being extended more than the other.  Pretty sure the straps on my Lilly are the same - but can't be bothered to go and look, besides I've got a curry to finish cooking.

There maybe a *ahem* a couple of other boxes in the house* too but I think they have random/old/mismatched straps and in the case of at least one Liliput what appears to be an antique cat collar applied as an extender.

*not all mine, honest guv.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »

my box is fitted with two straps and if im playing standing i use both but if im playing sat down i just use the longer strap but around my right upper arm -but one strap is def longer than the other

This seems like a great way for a newbie to decide what they like. I'm placing a CGM order pretty soon. Are your pads padded or just plain?

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »

On vintage hohners the buyer and shop fitted the strap and choice of strap fitiing so they are not uniform Pat.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »

I have and use padded and unpadded straps. What is uniform about the ones I use is that they are 2 to 2 1/2 inches wide where they go over the shoulder. I have a set of narrow straps that came with one box and I do not use them. They are only about an inch wide and their narrowness is noticeable after a while.

So, for me, it seems that it's the width that matters rather than the padding. I only use one strap and sit down these days btw.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal