Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoulder Strap Preference  (Read 3755 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Shoulder Strap Preference
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 10:21:05 PM »

... I'm placing a CGM order pretty soon. Are your pads padded or just plain?

Speaking for myself, I have used padded and plain leather straps. Padded do it for me far better than plain. Every time. Much more comfortable, but not too wide. Charlie's Italian melodeon straps are fine.  Other opinions are available.

[Edit: and I use two straps standing, stick them both over my right shoulder whan I sit down. Works ok for me. ]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:25:46 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

There maybe a *ahem* a couple of other boxes in the house* too but I think they have random/old/mismatched straps and in the case of at least one Liliput what appears to be an antique cat collar applied as an extender.

*not all mine, honest guv.

I hope you took the bell off the kitty collar before you tried taking it surreptitiously into the house - you wouldn't want a tinkling setting off a cacophony of bird alarm calls and breaking your cover >:E.

I play standing up for dancing outside with single or double straps, and I have used both padded and unpadded straps.  However, I much prefer padded straps.  I don't think it is about weight distribution, just comfort/security.  I don't really see much of a downside from padded straps other than they are a bit more awkward to get into cases and gig bags.       

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »

I hope you took the bell off the kitty collar before you tried taking it surreptitiously into the house - you wouldn't want a tinkling setting off a cacophony of bird alarm calls and breaking your cover >:E.

I think the kitty in question was long dead before I acquired the boxes, the collar may well have been added pre-war TBH.

Besides, given the number of bells in this house one more would hardly have been noticed  :M
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »

I was feeling a little impatient with 5-6 weeks delivery from the UK typically (I know straps could be sourced closer but the ones I liked were mostly overseas) so I had a little craft session in the shop. I fabbed a lower mount using a long bolt with threads all the way up. I ground the middle smooth so it wouldn't cut the leather. Next I used an old belt to extend an old, really short single strap with aluminum rivets then pounded them flat and used quick release clasps at each end. Worked quite well. I'll still order nicer straps and would like to give two straps a go but for now my practicing is much more comfortable.

Thanks for all the input

IMG_8648 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 11:36:45 PM »

Next I used an old belt to extend an old, really short single strap with aluminum rivets then pounded them flat and used quick release clasps at each end. Worked quite well. I'll still order nicer straps and would like to give two straps a go but for now my practicing is much more comfortable.
Just be aware that the quick release clips on the ends of the strap can cause bruising and denting damage to the casework, if you are not careful. OK for temporary, testing use, but personally I don't recommend them as a full time substitute. I've seen a number of instruments with casework damage as a result of people using these type of clips.

From another thread:
My (single) strap is a fraction too short. Fine for Morris, but a bit too close to my right shoulder for twiddly bits. I thought I was being clever and used a dog lead. Doh!
All the gold no longer glisters, the chrome is rusty, there's a hole where the jackplug was, the corners are chipped and down to bare wood, the fabric mesh at the bass end is ragged and torn and the keyboard has a lump broken off....
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »

i completely agree with Steve on the clips. I've got used to all sorts of bumps and scrapes on my instruments over the years, afterall they're hard-working boxes. However, I'd never use that kind of metal clip for fitting straps, it's just asking for trouble and like Steve I've occasionally seen the results.

Far better to use a strip of leather, some fabric tape or a length of heavy duty webbing/strapping of the type that's used on bags or outdoor gear.

How about plaiting some string?

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

It's reminded me...…
I attended a workshop weekend with Andy Cutting last June. As he popped his trusty old DG Mory into it's beaten up box, I saw the back edge of the finger groove running along the keyboard was scalloped all the way along. It looked like it's been attacked with a router. I asked him about the damage ' it's the straps' was his reply.
They can damage boxes....
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »

It's a temporary strap folks. Just waiting on the goods.

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »

my box is fitted with two straps and if im playing standing i use both but if im playing sat down i just use the longer strap but around my right upper arm -but one strap is def longer than the other

This seems like a great way for a newbie to decide what they like. I'm placing a CGM order pretty soon. Are your pads padded or just plain?

sorry for late reply, been lost to the world of work. my straps are padded but pretty basic and cheap. from hobgoblin if memory serves me right.
when i first started playing i was always sat down and just used one strap. Then i started playing for morris stood up and started to use two but in the pub after i'm sat down but didnt want to keep adjusting the straps and i think i saw someone playing with the one strap anchored around the upper arm rather than around the shoulder. It works for me and i dont have to keep changing the length of the straps.
However, thinking about it, if i play a one row I'll play sat down or stood up using the thumb strap so i guess theres no reason i couldnt play my d/g like that. I reckon we find something that works for us and we stick with it -logic or no  ;D

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »

on one of my boxes that has particularly tight clearances on the strap hangers. I've used a long broad cable tie as an extension to a nice but standard length padded right hand strap, at the top end.  A pair of much shorter and slimmer ties hold the big tie's loops closed around the strap's end bit and the box's top strap hanger, and keep things tidy.  The tie doesn't touch the woodwork at and it's given the strap the extra 70mm I needed.  I use Mally straps in pairs on most of my boxes but when I got to six pairs I thought I'd spent enough.   
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal