Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK  (Read 22323 times)

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
Re: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2019, 08:35:09 PM »

Many thanks to the Melnetters (all two of you!) who made it to the ‘extra-festival’ Tuneswap session at my rented house.  Apologies to Steve for the mixup about the phone number, otherwise we might have had a third,  -  hope I get it right next year!  We had 4 melodeons,  4 fiddles, a harmonica, an Anglo concertina, a whistle and a recorder.   Although the primary purpose of the event is to listen, more than to join-in, the joining-in was divine, and some very lovely tunes were played!   
Hope you found the workshop useful Hugh. 
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2019, 08:52:44 PM »

I wouldn't expect anyone leading a session to make exceptions to suit my ability or tastes.

Most of the time I was just letting anyone jump in with a tune they wanted to play. That doesn't work fopr eveyone, but I did also offer to help with any tune that someone wanted to play but didn't have the confidence to start themselves, and that happened once with a mandolin player who was struggling with Stoney Steps. (That's not a tune I'd try on most sessions, unless someone asked for it)

Were you at that session, Steve? I didn't see you, or I would have tried to say "Hello" at least.

I'm not surprised - Steve was sitting right in front of me and you were at the back!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »

Also a special thanks to who ever gave me a stonking cold which I still haven't manage to get rid of.
... and which I've now got. Argh!
sniffle, blurgh, croak.  :'(
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:34 PM »

Also a special thanks to who ever gave me a stonking cold which I still haven't manage to get rid of.
... and which I've now got. Argh!
sniffle, blurgh, croak.  :'(
Sorry !!
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »

See, he does give things away for nothing  >:E

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »

Just back home! Living half an hour away from Whitby has its advantages. Thanks to everyone for all the sessions, too many to really pick out any in particular but Elsinore continues as the reliable core session pub! Euro sessions very well supported - who were the couple from the USA? They played very well.
Nice to meet you again, Richard and hear your great playing.  (:)
The American couple danced very well too. I managed to get to a few of the Euro sessions which were great, and a nice chance to play my C clarinet. I love the format with all the musicians in a circle around the dance floor, which was often used by some very expert dancers. It is a real joy for me to play for that sort of dancing especially when the same tune - bourees, scottishes, etc., is played many times and one enters an almost hypnotic trance.  Thanks for organising it all, Bob!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2019, 10:27:41 AM »

Who were the couple from the USA? They played very well.

There were two couples from the USA. Ron (gurdy and concertina) and Barbara (fiddle) are friends of mine from Falmouth, Massachusetts, who have a holiday home in the Yorkshire Dales. The other couple are from California; he plays bagpipes, she plays piano accordion and they also danced occasionally. Both couples brought some different tunes and some high-standard playing to the Euro-sessions and both couples enjoyed the sessions enough to want to return to Whitby in the in the future.

Thanks, Tufty, for the great contributions of you and your family to the sessions. I'm busy learning Meatballs, Whiskey and Beer (a great tune) from the video I made of your playing.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »

Wonder if it's too early to look for accommodation in Whitby for next years folk week - all the comments make me want to go back to a favourite place of mine. (But definitely no camping !)
Euro sessions sound to have been particularly good. I must introduce 'Meatballs' to the locals here in Shrews...there have been some really good English sessions at the festival so far but no Euro yet sadly (but bal tomorrow with Trio Loubelya  (:))

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Wonder if it's too early to look for accommodation in Whitby for next years folk week -

Definitely not!  Possibly too late in fact.   Many people will have booked next year before leaving this year.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »

My B & B is already fully booked for next year ,
Thanks to all I met in the sessions , pubs and concerts  .. going back to sleep now
Paul B 
Paul
Location NE Fife

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

Wonder if it's too early to look for accommodation in Whitby for next years folk week -

Definitely not!  Possibly too late in fact.   Many people will have booked next year before leaving this year.

I've managed to book in early September before now, but as Theo hints, get booked now before it's too late. I booked my cottage for 2020 at the beginning of August this year!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Daz Barry

Whitby
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2019, 04:41:51 PM »

Hello thanks Annc.had a smashing time this week found all the Venues great sessions and Morris dancing special thanks to bob Ellis will be there next year.Daz😎

Daz Barry

Events
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »

Hello had a fantastic time in Whitby great sessions and Morris dancing special thanks to bob Ellis for his advice looking forward to next year.hope I'm on the right page.Daz😎

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2019, 05:22:10 PM »

Many thanks to the Melnetters (all two of you!) who made it to the ‘extra-festival’ Tuneswap session at my rented house.  Apologies to Steve for the mixup about the phone number, otherwise we might have had a third,  -  hope I get it right next year!  We had 4 melodeons,  4 fiddles, a harmonica, an Anglo concertina, a whistle and a recorder.   Although the primary purpose of the event is to listen, more than to join-in, the joining-in was divine, and some very lovely tunes were played!   
Hope you found the workshop useful Hugh. 

Many thanks to you Frank for organising both sessions. The workshop was good as I really need to work on my left hand, and think about what I'm playing with it, and how, so its always good to have some constructive help.
The Tune Swap sessions have always been good for me, with some great new tunes and some excellent playing to aspire to. If I organise another at Sidmouth, similar to the one I did in the Rugby Club with Bob's help, then I'll call it Tune Swap as well: definitely the best title.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal