Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK  (Read 22326 times)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »

;D early in the year to post it but as the "early bird" gets the pick of available accommodation here's the link to  Whitby Folk Week and listings of the people booked so far for this year for perusal  ;D :||: :M :|||:
 Will update this thread with the usual useful info......  tides etc. nearer to the time

[[ADMIN]] edited to add 2019 to the Subject
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:32:38 PM by Theo »
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »

Shall be there as usual, but I need to find out about taxi fares to and from Robin Hood's Bay, as I like to go there at least twice in the week, and I can no longer schlep my way back up that hill. I was wondering if they would let me take my motor bike down there. Need to ask around.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »

I'm going - for the first time.  I normally do Sidmouth and then Towersey but we're adding Whitby to the mix as my partner is dancing there.  Really looking forward to it - I've wanted to go for ages but August is just so busy  :|glug :M :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:45:26 PM »

I shall be there, as t'management has asked me back again (some people have no taste!), but I don't yet know what I'll be doing. I assume that it will include Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »

Shall be there as usual, but I need to find out about taxi fares to and from Robin Hood's Bay....
Sir John
It's about £11 taxi fare (pre booked) from Whitby to Bay, expensive for one but not so bad if you can find three other people to share the car, the X93 Arriva bus runs half hourly in summer, a day ticket valid for all Arriva North East buses from Whitby / Scarborough / Middlesbrough and Newcastle is currently £8.20.
 The only public car parking is at the top of the bank, there's the car park near the roundabout opposite the Victoria Hotel and the bigger one near the Grosvenor as you come into the village, I think it's  £4 for 6 hours, £5 for 24 hours if you can find a space  ::) nowhere to park a motorcycle down the bottom of the Bay without it getting ticketed that I know of but the local taxi firm, Bay Taxis used to do short "pick up" journeys from the bottom at the Dock to the top  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:30:49 AM by AnnC »

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »

;D found this on the Scarborough Council website Motorcycle Parking nothing about Robin Hoods Bay but may be useful for Whitby

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:20:29 AM »

I'll be there as usual, running workshops. Details yet to be firmed up, but almost certainly I'll be running my crash course for beginners melodeon over three days (Mon to Weds), plus another workshop on the Thursday, for intermediate/advanced players, probably melodeon but possibly anglo.

I'm going - for the first time. ..
Great! No doubt we'll bump into each other at some point.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »

I'm going - for the first time.

Careful, Helena, you could get a nosebleed travelling that far north...

and steer clear of that powerful northern ale. It wasn't intended for delicate southern constitutions like yours.
  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »

I'll be there as usual, running workshops. Details yet to be firmed up, but almost certainly I'll be running my crash course for beginners melodeon over three days (Mon to Weds)...
  (:) have a D/G Pokerwork I could drop into the workshop for a beginner without a box to "loan out" Mon to Wed if that's any use  :|||: ;D

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »

It wasn't intended for delicate southern constitutions like yours. [/color]  >:E

Now if only I was from the South of England that might have some relevance (actually it wouldn't)  (:)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »

...............Details yet to be firmed up, but almost certainly I'll be running my crash course for beginners melodeon over three days (Mon to Weds)...
  (:) have a D/G Pokerwork I could drop into the workshop for a beginner without a box to "loan out" Mon to Wed if that's any use  :|||: ;D
  ;D might have already found an interested box less absolute beginner to borrow the Pokerwork for the crash course  :|||: 

monxton

• New Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »

as far a rough idea of what goes on it doesn't change all that much from year to year

If you've never seen ANY copy of the programme (as I hadn't until I first went), how does that help?

I have still seen no copies of the programme outside the festival, for any year, except ones I've bought myself.  And no copy on the web.  How hard can it be to upload a PDF to archive.org?
That's me! I'm going for the first time this year, and I would really like a view of last year's (or an earlier year's) programme so I can understand how things work. Can anybody help?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:46:55 PM by monxton »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 01:17:51 AM »

That's me! I'm going for the first time this year, and I would really like a view of last year's (or an earlier year's) programme so I can understand how things work. Can anybody help?
The festival runs all week with hundreds of events in total, taking place at many venues around the town. The programme is available for sale as a comprehensive and well-produced paper booklet a few weeks before the event and during the week itself. It is deliberately (and quite rightly, in my opinion) not available on-line, as a substantial proportion of the funding for the festival comes from the sale of these programmes. I do keep copies of previous year's festivals but there are too many pages to make scanning and posting here feasible, sorry to say.

The way things work is that you buy a copy of the programme which tells you exactly what is happening where and when, almost on an hourly basis, every day. Events usually kick off about 10 a.m each day and run in some cases until 2 a.m. in the early hours. You will see many people walking around the town or sitting in bars, cafes, etc. perusing the programme and deciding what they want to do next.

Most people buy a season ticket for the week or a day pass, although most events also allow individual payment on the door too. Come-all-ye sessions are free, although a festival collector will often appear at some point and rattle a collecting tin for voluntary donations. 

The festival is hugely comprehensive, with concerts, workshops, sessions, ceilidhs, display/morris dancing. There is usually plenty of variety to keep most people interested every day, regardless of musical tastes. There is so much choice such that the main problem is deciding which events to attend over preference to others. Having said that, if you are specifically looking for a workshop on advanced native Brazilian nose-flute technique, you will probably be disappointed.

If you do get festival fatigue, there is always the beach and the sea, fossil hunting, or watching/riding on the steam trains.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »

The festival runs all week with hundreds of events in total, taking place at many venues around the town. The programme is available for sale as a comprehensive and well-produced paper booklet

Paper only?  Like actual paper - the stuff made from trees?

;D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »

There is an app too, available fir iPhone and android.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »

*Phew* 

I'd only lose a paper one.  Or end up with two (or more).  When actually at a festival I find an app or electronic version of the programme easier.

I do rather enjoy the planning aspect of a paper festival programme though - it's a bit like being given the Christmas Radio Times as a child - except it generally involves a wander to the local for planning purposes. 

Looking forward to my first Whitby.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »

*Phew* 

I'd only lose a paper one.  Or end up with two (or more).  When actually at a festival I find an app or electronic version of the programme easier.

I do rather enjoy the planning aspect of a paper festival programme though - it's a bit like being given the Christmas Radio Times as a child - except it generally involves a wander to the local for planning purposes. 

Looking forward to my first Whitby.

Nah - you wouldn't lose it! The printed, actual non-electric paper version is good as it is so easy to flip through the pages in a matter of seconds rather than all that tedious left-right-up-down scrolling business. Also contains useful maps and margins to allow you to collect autographs from your favourite artists; over the years to come, your beer-stained Whitby programme will become a treasured heirloom to be gasped at by Fiona Bruce and colleagues on the AR.
What's not to like?  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »

........I would really like a view of last year's (or an earlier year's) programme so I can understand how things work. Can anybody help?

Hello Monxton  ;D found last year's copy so if you'd like to send me a pm with your address I'll pop it in the post, there are a few scribblings in the events listing but otherwise ok  ;D
 Cheers   Ann
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:48:21 AM by AnnC »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 10:18:38 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 03:36:06 PM »

Gues what.

Acorn Instruments will be there with a large selection of Castagnari boxes,new and pre owned.

Leisure Centre,West Cliff.

Open every day till 2pm Friday
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal