Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK  (Read 22314 times)

monxton

• New Starter
Re: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 06:41:38 PM »

Hello Monxton  ;D found last year's copy so if you'd like to send me a pm with your address I'll pop it in the post, there are a few scribblings in the events listing but otherwise ok  ;D
 Cheers   Ann
You're very kind. PM sent, thanks.

Daz Barry

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 05:43:22 PM »

It's my first time at Whitby with my melodeon which pub are the workshops in please and what time do they start.Daz.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »

(:) the first workshops usually start at 10am and last for 1hr 20min giving a ten minute change over time before the next workshop starts at 11.30am, then again at 1pm  ;D the places usually holding workshops are the Middle Earth, the Rifle Club, the Metropole Hotel, Whitby Mission Hall, West Cliff School, Spa Pavilion, Fisherman's Rowing Club, Conservative Club, the Endeavour, hopefully they will be happy to be used as venues again this year  :|||:
  I'll try to get my mits on a programme as soon as they're available, sieve through the 600 odd listings and post a potted list of "melodeon interest" events, there are generally at least a couple a day ..... sometimes more  ;D  :||: :|||:
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »

I believe there is some doubt about the use of the Middle Earth this year. At the end of last year's festival, I just got a vague impression they'd had enough of hosting festival events. I may be wrong though.

Ann - if you are ever over on the east side and passing by, would it be worth calling in for a beer and seeing what you could glean from landlady Jill?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:14 PM »

(:) will ask the person trying to co-ordinate/organise/confirm this year's venues when next I see them  ;D

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »

;D If anyone is going to be up this part of the country for the weekend before Folk Week, perhaps having a fortnights holiday, there is Salburn Folk Festival 9th to 11th of August, a very friendly festival just up the coast in the lovely seaside town of Saltburn, or if you're spending a whole 14 days in Whitby then Whitby Regatta 10th to 12th of August has plenty to entertain the family before you spend the next week immersed in folkie pleasures  :||: ;D :|||: :|glug

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »

I believe there is some doubt about the use of the Middle Earth this year.......

You're quite right Steve  ;D have checked with the "venues organiser" and there will be no workshops in the Middle Earth during Folk Week. There is a new venue for this year, the Arch and Abbey micro pub on Skinner Street,  ;D :|glug though I haven't heard which workshops will be held there.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 01:52:02 AM »

I believe there is some doubt about the use of the Middle Earth this year.......

You're quite right Steve  ;D have checked with the "venues organiser" and there will be no workshops in the Middle Earth during Folk Week. There is a new venue for this year, the Arch and Abbey micro pub on Skinner Street,  ;D :|glug though I haven't heard which workshops will be held there.
OK - thanks for the information, Ann. I don't know the Arch and Abbey. I wonder if any of my workshops will be held there...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »

Booked in from the Monday and will be in Station, Black Horse, mainly singing with at least one pilgrimage to the Board for some proper music.   Look forward to meeting people
  _       _    _      _ 

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »

It's about halfway down Skinner St on the uphill side I think. Not 100% sure, but I do remember it being open for the first time last year. and people saying that it was nice.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »

I'm looking forward to this, it'll be my first Whitby, nestling snugly betwixt Dartmoor and Towersey. I have no idea what to expect in the way of sessions and workshops - I like to dance a lot at festivals as well as play so hoping for some good dance workshops. Either way I think I'm going to be free range most of the time as my partner will be with a booked team.

[:]||||||[:]
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »

Loads of dance workshops, if you're interested in Irish set dancing, the Gerry O'Reilly does grand workshops.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »

It's about halfway down Skinner St on the uphill side I think. Not 100% sure, but I do remember it being open for the first time last year. and people saying that it was nice.
Ah yes, now I know it, thanks! I passed it several times last year but never went in. There always seemed to be the sound of continuous 100 mph reels coming from inside somewhere. Not really my idea of a good session, and anyway I always seemed to have somewhere else to get to. Handy for Betty Botham's tea rooms across the road though.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »

Loads of dance workshops, if you're interested in Irish set dancing, the Gerry O'Reilly does grand workshops.

SJ

For me... pretty much everything but Irish set  (:)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »

Typical ;) That's me and women defined, I can always be sure to  pick the one thing they don't like. That usually ends up being me, but ho hum, c'est ma vie.
At least they won't be able to say in my funeral oration, 'He had no natural talent'

>:E >:E >:E

Sir John (F.A)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »

The Arch and Abbey is a lot more conveniently situated than the Middle Earth and I hope the room is larger because the Middle Earth was always cramped. People often struggled to get into my Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions there. Perhaps, Ann, since you know the Venue Organiser, you might be able to hint to him/her that a venue with a larger room than the Middle Earth would be more suited to my Well Known Tunes... sessions.

For those, like Helena, who are attracted to good sessions and like to dance as well, they could do worse than to drop in at the George on Baxtergate for our Euro-sessions, which include French dancing as well as playing tunes from all over Europe (but not the British Isles). As last year, the sessions will be from 15:00 to 17:00 every afternoon except Sunday.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »

SJ

Nice pint certainly...seemed to be a venue for ITM sessions last year.... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 04:42:13 PM »

Typical ;) That's me and women defined, I can always be sure to  pick the one thing they don't like.

;D

Ah well, at least you tried to help Sir John. I just looked at website and the programme (so far) looks to be a good one. Plenty of ceilidh, Playford and morris workshops it seems, even a couple of bands I might like to go and see. Add in some sessions and it should be perfect, hoping for some rapper workshops though.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »

At least they won't be able to say in my funeral oration, 'He had no natural talent'

Don’t knock unnatural talent.  That can be in high demand.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »

Link to Whitby Yacht Club's page   ;D  click on the "webcam" box on the top menu bar for a view down the pier and also the important tide times as the sea comes up to the cliffs at high tide. See what the weather's like before you go out :||:  :|glug :|||: :M

modified to update webpage link
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:04:20 AM by AnnC »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal