Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK  (Read 22322 times)

Daz Barry

Whitby
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »

Would like to say a big thankyou to Ann for sending me a programme for Whitby im sure there's everything in it I need to know.it's my first time playing melodeon and I'm so looking forward to it.thanks Ann your a star.Daz😎

Daz Barry

Re: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Sorry should have put Annc😎

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 11:04:40 AM »

Now that Whitby is fast approaching I wondered if any melnetters had any recommendations for a Whitby first timer.  I'll be there for the duration as my partner is playing with swords all week. So far I know about a beginners anglo workshop to which I shall trundle along but what else?  What to see? What to avoid?  Campsite tips etc.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »

Now that Whitby is fast approaching I wondered if any melnetters had any recommendations for a Whitby first timer.  I'll be there for the duration as my partner is playing with swords all week. So far I know about a beginners anglo workshop to which I shall trundle along but what else?  What to see? What to avoid?  Campsite tips etc.
The usual problem is that you are spoilt for choice; there's so much happening each day.
A good pair of comfy shoes/sandals is a must, as you will be doing a LOT of walking around between venues and Whitby is renowned for its steep hills.
This year, a previously popular venue, the Middle Earth Tavern is sadly no longer available for festival events so that might shift the balance a bit.
Otherwise it's all good. Some of the sessions can get really busy so best to get there a bit early if you want a seat.

There are a few unofficial fringe non-festival events which are not advertised in the programme, but just get to know about by word of mouth, e.g. the Euro session in the George each afternoon. If you go to that, expect a variety of non-D/G melodeon friendly keys, e.g. C, Am, Dm, etc., as well as G and sometimes Em.

The Leisure Centre up on the West Cliff, near the Spa will have lots of trade stands and craft/clothes, etc., so bring your credit card.

If you need a change from festival events, there is a nice sandy beach below the Spa but not at high tide; also the walk along the east side of the river Esk - Church Street and up the 100 Steps to St Mary's and the Abbey. The swing bridge over the river opens to let boats through, usually just when you're in a hurry to get from one side of town to the other! 

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway will be running steam trains as usual. Definitely worth seeing and imbibing the atmosphere.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »

The usual problem is that you are spoilt for choice; there's so much happening each day.
A good pair of comfy shoes/sandals is a must, as you will be doing a LOT of walking around between venues and Whitby is renowned for its steep hills.

For the aged and infirm, however, taxis are remarkably reasonably priced...

Fish and Chips...yes the Dolphin is good and famous (and expensive)...but I have yet to have bad fish and chips anywhere in Whitby....

I did of course mean the Magpie...but I'm sure the Dolphin which is a pub also serves fish and chips...(I remembered this at 4 00 am this morning, but thought this important info would wait..)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:46:23 AM by baz parkes »
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2019, 09:57:03 PM »

In addition to the afternoon Euro-sessions in The George organised by Chris Nash and myself, there will also be regular evening Euro-sessions organised by Bill and Petra from Les Panards Dansants. These will be in the Friendship Rowing Club some evenings and in the Conservative Club on other evenings. These are fringe events, so they do not appear in the programme. I'll post the details here of where they will be each evening when I get them from Bill.

Can't tell you what workshops and session I am doing because the organisers haven't told me yet!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »

Bob,  will the evening sessions have space, and asuitable floor for dancing?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »

(:) if they're in the big upstairs room at the Friendship there will be plenty of space, it was an old fashioned school hall  (:) ....... here's hoping  :D :|||:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:26:02 AM by AnnC »
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2019, 09:03:36 AM »

In addition to the afternoon Euro-sessions in The George organised by Chris Nash and myself, there will also be regular evening Euro-sessions organised by Bill and Petra from Les Panards Dansants. These will be in the Friendship Rowing Club some evenings and in the Conservative Club on other evenings. These are fringe events, so they do not appear in the programme. I'll post the details here of where they will be each evening when I get them from Bill.

Can't tell you what workshops and session I am doing because the organisers haven't told me yet!

Bit confused by evenings in the Con. Club as that's where the Festival Folk Club is held all week, apart from Friday evening.  Unless the Festival Folk Club has been moved or discontinued.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »

I have no knowledge of this year's plans, but the Festival Folk Club has always been upstairs, and music sessions are usually downstairs in the bar.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »

With regard to the Friendship Rowing Club, yes, it is the large upstairs room that we will be using and there is plenty of space for dancing. We used it last year, but because it was arranged during Folk Week rather than beforehand, we were only able to publicise it to a limited extent.

I don't yet know the arrangements with regard to the Conservative Club. I've emailed Bill and Petra, who are organising it, to ask for details and will post them here when they reply.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »

Thank you Bob
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »

Will be at Whitby this year with Hammersmith so might not have too much time free for sessions, but Hilda will -- knowing that the Middle Earth is no longer a venue, any (non-Irish, informal or programmed) recommendations? Singing/mixed as well as playing ;-)

[we might just possibly spend a lot of evenings in the Station Inn like last time, assuming the splendid singing session is still there...]
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 11:55:20 PM »

Is there a member on here who would like to attend the Folk Week at Whitby, but cannot find suitable accommodation? My beloved booked a two bedroom self-catering house not a stone's throw from the Co-op in central Whitby, but it now seems that we may have to cancel. The booking was made for four adults and looks very nice.

If you're at all interested, please do get in touch.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »

I've now received details of my programmed commitments for Whitby Folk Week. I'll be teaching a workshop on How to Learn Tunes by Ear (any instrument) in the Arch and Abbey at 11:30 on Sunday and I'll be leading Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace structured sessions in the Last In First Out from 13:00 to 15:00 on Tuesday and Wednesday with the option for another one on Thursday, if there is sufficient demand. There will also be the Euro-sessions in The George from 15:00 to 17:00 every afternoon except Sunday and evening Euro-sessions in the Friendship Rowing Club or the Conservative Club, which are part of the fringe festival and therefore not on the programme. I hope to see some of you at one or more of these events.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »

I'll be leading Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace structured sessions in the Last In First Out from 13:00 to 15:00 on Tuesday and Wednesday with the option for another one on Thursday, if there is sufficient demand.

That sounds a bit too much like a busman's holiday for me Bob but I'll hopefully see you somewhere for a pint during the week.  Just waiting to find out what North British's timetable looks like and to get a look at the full programme and then I can start planning for my very first Whitby.

Looking forward to seeing lots of Squeezy friends there although I hope to be dancing as much as possible, tunes will doubtless happen in between  (:) :|||:

Spectacled Warbler

• Good talker
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »

Hi Winston,

It might be worth you posting in the Whitby Folk Week facebook page, also on Mudcat if you don't get any takers for your cottage.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/129958666651/

https://mudcat.org

Good luck,

Joy

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2019, 01:21:24 PM »

Thanks Bespectacled One! I've never posted on facebook before, but I'm sure one of my offspring can help me there. I'll have a look at Mudcat too.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »

Thanks Bespectacled One! I've never posted on facebook before, but I'm sure one of my offspring can help me there. I'll have a look at Mudcat too.

Definitely try and get it on Facebook - there are people looking for accommodation.  I had a B&B booked but decided to let it go and the booking was snapped up within minutes.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »

Thank you for that encouragement. I'll get one of my offspring onto it at the earliest opportunity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal