Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK  (Read 22325 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2019, 10:18:34 PM »

The Apple version of the app is now available. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/whitby-fw-2019/id1475404291

SJ

The Android version is available too, unfortunately it is currently not searchable in the Play store and is set to run on only the newest Android devices.  An update is awaited.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »

I will be at Whitby all week, but without a stall in the Trade Fair.  I can bring any of the melodeons of concertinas for sale on my website if you contact me before the 17th.

I will also have a basic tool kit and be able to do minor repairs.  Contact me by PM here it through the contact form on my website.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:29:27 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »

I don't yet know the arrangements with regard to the Conservative Club. I've emailed Bill and Petra, who are organising it, to ask for details and will post them here when they reply.[/color]

I now have the full information about the fringe Euro-sessions during Whitby FolkWeek.
As usual, the afternoon sessions organised by Chris Nash and myself will be in the downstairs bar of The George Hotel, 38 Baxtergate, Whitby, YO21 1BN, every day, except Sunday, 15:00-17:00.
The evening sessions organised by Petra Ruelecke and Bill Gilkes will be in the upper room at the Friendship Rowing Club, 136 Church Street, New Way Ghaut, Whitby, YO22 4DE, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 20:00-22.30-ish.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday they will be in the bar at the Conservative Club, Flowergate Cross Upgang Lane, Whitby, YO21 3DT, 20:00-22:30-ish.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »

Bob, is there space for dancing in either of the evening venues?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »

There is plenty of dance space in the upstairs room of the Friendship Rowing Club and the floor is 'dance friendly'. The Conservative Club might be a bit more problematic. A small dance area is available (or if not, it could be created by moving a few chairs) on the raised area at the far end of the bar, where the nucleus of the session will take place. However, I can't remember whether that area is carpeted or not.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's carpeted Bob. I assume they will be moving the pool table of course ;)

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2019, 11:14:13 AM »

There is plenty of dance space in the upstairs room of the Friendship Rowing Club and the floor is 'dance friendly'.

Thanks Bob
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »

Still no plan for a flat session?
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »

If I remember correctly, Jack Campin organised one last year in The George, but i don't think many people attended.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »

There is some confusion about my workshops and sessions at Whitby because the information in the programme is not entirely correct. For each event, I have listed below in black what it says in the programme followed in blue by what it should have said and what is actually going to happen!

Sunday: 11:30 - 12:50: Arch and Abbey Bar: Learning Tunes By Ear workshop. This is correct.

Monday: 13:00 - 15:00: First in Last Out: Well-Known Tunes at a Steady Pace. This is also correct. So far, so good!

Tuesday: 13:00 - 15:00: First in Last Out: Session. This should say Well-Known Tunes at a Steady Pace, being the second of three.

Wednesday: 13:00 - 15:00: First in Last Out: Session. This should say Well-Known Tunes at a Steady Pace, being the third of three.

Thursday: 13:00 - 15:00: First in Last Out: Session. This is a general session at normal session pace.

Corrections should appear in the Wailer, but please spread the word to anyone who might be interested in attending.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2019, 10:15:25 AM »

Four people have now asked me personally about my ‘Tuneswap’ , after Hugh Taylor successfully ran a similar one  at Sidmouth last week.  For reasons best known to the organiser at Whitby,  these were latterly considered workshops, rather than sessions, and accordingly were given workshop timeslots, ie 80 minutes, in 2017.  This was wholly inadequate, but rather than argue in the office, (and with the often-the -worse-for-drink landlord in the Middle Earth!!!!!), I decided to run it privately at my digs in 2018, and a very pleasant evening it turned-out to be.   I will do the same again this year but will let anyone interested know the date/time when I have ok’d it with the rest of the household. 

In case you’re unaware, the Tuneswap was a session in which less well-known tunes, or just your favourite tunes, or arrangements of old ones could be played with more emphasis on listening, and perhaps recording, than on joining-in.  This was in the hope of helping to expand the general session repertoire. 

Of more relevance to this forum, and for what it’s worth,  it has been pointed-out to me by people whose opinions I trust, that I’m not getting any younger(!). Moreover I’ve been flattered  that I  should make some CDs of my playing/tunes before I kick the bucket (my word, you do look queer!) and my work is lost forever.  I have no such inclination, and have never had the brass neck to push myself as a Melodeon tutor as I’d be unlikely to put bums on seats and generate income for the festival.  So, if anyone’s interested, I could run box workshops/discussions at my digs too.   My festival commitment is fairly light this year, although I don’t yet know my timetable or whereabouts, so I should have plenty of time, but again, it’ll depend on the rest of the household being agreeable if the weather’s not up to using in the garden.  If you think you might be interested, you could text me on 07515 385386.   There are a few examples of my playing on my YouTube channel (Swordsmith100) created in advance of some workshops at Bath Festival some time ago.  My digs is towards the far end of Esk Terrace, below the ‘First-in, Last-out’ . Needless to say, perhaps, but there’d be no charge for anything.  I wouldn’t be expecting more than ‘a couple or two ‘ (if that!) at a box workshop, but the offer’s there.  I may mention all this at short notice in the ‘Wailer’, but will give it no other publicity. 

NB. At the first Tuneswap, which was given a three hour slot,  exactly 50 tunes were played, 45 of which were new to me, and I’ve been ‘at it’ for 61 years.  Some were damn good too!
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »

For the last few years, the caller Martyn Harvey has run a 'flash mob' ceilidh at Whitby, originally near the Station, but latterly by the band stand. Its not in the program this year, but will most likely be on Thursday between 2pm and 3pm.
If anyone fancies coming along to help swell the band, you'll be most welcome.
I won't be picking up emails at Whitby but my mobile is 07553 524 780
Hope to see some of you there!
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2019, 11:46:02 AM »

I'm so looking forward to this festival now. To be honest I've been a bit off playing the box for a while and I'm learning anglo now which seems to be messing with my melodeon head. I seem to have rediscovered my love for the melodeon a little recently and who knows a change of scene and some new faces might revive it till further.

I will be at Whitby all week and for a change at a festival I have no commitments whatsoever - I'm there in the capacity of North British WAG only.  Looking forward to some good music and dancing by the sea and putting some more names to faces among melnetters I have 'met' on this forum.

Soon be time to steer the wagon Whitby way.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2019, 11:59:01 AM »

Just make sure the nav is set to Whitby way, and not Whitley bay.

Someone I know did that once.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »

Spanish City here we come.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »

Spanish City here we come.

SJ

My first job was as a mechanic in the Spanish City.
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »

So do I.   She was a member of our Clog team who simply couldn’t stop talking, especially annoying during booking discussions.  She talked her way through the Whitby planning, then booked her accommodation in Whitley Bay.   Karma! 
I have some boxes. 

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »

That really is priceless. Along with being inconvenient and very embarrassing.

I have a morris buddy, and I suspect others here will know who I'm talking about, who went to Saddleworth a whole week early for the Ruschart.  One day we'll stop reminding him of it -  probably in just a few more years. In the meantime I wrote him a tune 'Fruitless Trip to Uppermill' lest he be allowed to forget.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »

That really is priceless. Along with being inconvenient and very embarrassing.

I have a morris buddy, and I suspect others here will know who I'm talking about, who went to Saddleworth a whole week early for the Ruschart.  One day we'll stop reminding him of it -  probably in just a few more years. In the meantime I wrote him a tune 'Fruitless Trip to Uppermill' lest he be allowed to forget.

You know full we'll he'll still get reminded about it in 20 years... ;-)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2019, 07:28:33 PM »

You know full we'll he'll still get reminded about it in 20 years... ;-)

It must be time - this weekend we need to remind him particularly, isn't it?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal