Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK  (Read 22327 times)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Re: Whitby Folk Week 17th -23rd August 2019 UK
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »

TRAFFIC PROBLEMS RE ROUTE TO WHITBY FOLK WEEK DUE TO COUNTRYFILE LIVE
Hi,I live just few miles from Castle Howard,If coming down A64 from A1 I suggest come off A64 onto 1079 to Stamford Bridge-Driffield.At Stamford Bridge before going over the river turn left,at T junction turn right and head for Norton via Buttercramb then from Norton,turn left over the railway.At cross roads in Malton turn right and that is the Whitby road
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »

TRAFFIC PROBLEMS RE ROUTE TO WHITBY FOLK WEEK DUE TO COUNTRYFILE LIVE
Hi,I live just few miles from Castle Howard,If coming down A64 from A1 I suggest come off A64 onto 1079 to Stamford Bridge-Driffield.At Stamford Bridge before going over the river turn left,at T junction turn right and head for Norton via Buttercramb then from Norton,turn left over the railway.At cross roads in Malton turn right and that is the Whitby road

Thank you Pete, I am looking forward to the six hour drive even more now.  (:)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »

You need panic
I may have to go miles round :(
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty

Daz Barry

« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »

Will be in Whitby tomorrow morning can anyone tell me will I be able to Get a programme😎

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2019, 10:45:25 PM »

"TRAFFIC PROBLEMS RE ROUTE TO WHITBY FOLK WEEK DUE TO COUNTRYFILE LIVE"

Do I take it that this problem is no more? I have to leave Whitby to visit York tomorrow morning.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2019, 02:56:52 AM »

A64 was a bit stop/go between York and the Pickering turn on Monday afternoon. But it looked fluid enough (as per usual) in the west direction, and on the dual carriageway sections
  _       _    _      _ 

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2019, 07:38:04 AM »

Will be in Whitby tomorrow morning can anyone tell me will I be able to Get a programme😎
Station News opposite the railway station or the Festival office in the Spa mezzanine, if you get one I the Spa they should have a separate sheet with updates for workshops etc😊
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2019, 07:48:13 AM »

The usual route from the north misses this completely. South of Middlesborough, Guisborough then the moor road A171 was clear on Saturday.  You might get stuck behind a tractor, but that’s fairly normal.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2019, 10:58:22 PM »

Thanks everyone who responded. The journey, there and back, went OK with no hold-ups, and we had good weather in York as well!

Daz Barry

« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »

Had a fantastic few days at Whitby thanks annc for the heads up about the programme.special thanks to bob Ellis for his advice will be practicing harder on my melodeon.looking forward to next year already😎

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »

It was a great week, and special thanks to Bob Ellis, for his Well Known Tunes at an easy pace sessions. It's the only time in the year that i get a chance to play with others, and learn new tunes.
Apart from 2 new batteries on the way down, and a buggered tyre on the way back, Whitby was great.

Sir John.
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »

Thanks, Daz and John, for your kind words and thanks to everyone else who attended my programmed workshops and sessions and the fringe Euro-sessions. I felt that all of these events had a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and I hope that everyone who attended enjoyed them as much as I did. Roll on next year!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2019, 01:31:49 PM »

Just back home! Living half an hour away from Whitby has its advantages. Thanks to everyone for all the sessions, too many to really pick out any in particular but Elsinore continues as the reliable core session pub! Euro sessions very well supported - who were the couple from the USA? They played very well.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »

We're also just back home from Whitby. I've really enjoyed myself throughout the week. Bob's slow sessions were at my sort of comfortable speed, thanks for that! I tried a session led by two of our star players; Mr Anahata and Mary Humphries, but left after about an hour, as I hadn't recognised even one tune. Never mind, maybe another year? Those two were fabulous in the concert at the Pavilion upstairs bar yesterday.
The concerts I managed to attend were marvellous, with a number of new (to me) names and faces along with some old favourites. Granny's Attic deserve their own little mention; lovely players with good harmonising voices, too.
We'll be back there next year, if we're spared!
(Luckily, the newly converted Liliput didn't fall to pieces, so I must have got something right, at last!)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »

Aye the Mary Humphries, Anahata session for for those with overdrive, not for those of us just getting out of second gear. I stayed, but only knew about 3 tunes.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »

One of the reasons why I don't much look forward to running sessions is that I know it's impossible to please everyone.

A couple of melnetters who also run sessions themselves were kind enough to express their approval afterwards, and the room remained full to the end; that's about as good as I could hope for.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2019, 05:43:43 PM »

Oh it was gbrand, and I really enjoyed it, just my lack of competence that held me back. Thanks very much to both, and well done.

Sir John

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »

One of the reasons why I don't much look forward to running sessions is that I know it's impossible to please everyone.

A couple of melnetters who also run sessions themselves were kind enough to express their approval afterwards, and the room remained full to the end; that's about as good as I could hope for.

Yours and Mary's session was really good and there was a great mixture of well known and less well known tunes. I think the two of you handled it just right and definitely no need to feel bad because you feel that you are not pleasing everyone. To try to do that is just not practicable.

For those people that do not know the tunes or find it hard to keep up in a session, I would say that it is a learning process which needs some working on - it doesn't just happen by magic.

(a) Learn more tunes. There are any number of good resources of popular session tunes in recordings, Youtubes, written music, ABCs etc. including the splendid selection readily available from Lester of this forum.

(b) Choose your sessions wisely. At a festival such as Whitby, there are several sessions devoted to 'Well known tunes at a steady pace' run by Bob Ellis, and at least another one or two run by May Cheadle for people who find normal sessions a bit scary and hard to join in with.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »

Quick thank you to all who came to my stall at Whitby good seeing everyone again and thanks to all who made purchases

Also a special thanks to who ever gave me a stonking cold which I still haven't manage to get rid of.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2019, 08:26:14 PM »

I would write exactly the same words as Sir John in response to Anahata's post.

Not normally being a session attendee, I didn't really know what to expect. Mind you, I wouldn't expect anyone leading a session to make exceptions to suit my ability or tastes. Even at Bob's slow and steady, I had only come across about half of the tunes before. As Steve says, "no need to feel bad because you feel that you are not pleasing everyone. To try to do that is just not practicable."

As for learning new tunes; unless a new tune catches my fancy, I wouldn't be interested in bothering to learn it. (It would be rather like me learning to cook with garlic, but because I don't like garlic, I'd never eat my cooking!) My personal inadequacies didn't spoil what was a great week!

Were you at that session, Steve? I didn't see you, or I would have tried to say "Hello" at least.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal