Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Paint color for inside the Hohner Echophone Brass Horn  (Read 1276 times)

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan
  • Hohner 499, Hohner Echophone, Hohner Morino VM
Red Paint color for inside the Hohner Echophone Brass Horn
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »

Hello, I need some advise on paint. I am removing dents/polishing the burnished brass horn on my Hohner Echophone. Inside the horn is a red paint and I'd like to match the color. I was told I need to get glossy enamel brush paint in Candy Apple red. Looking at the photos does this seem right? Could you recommend a better paint color and manufacturer? Also, I'm not sure this is even the original color that came out of the factory. Thanks in advance! 

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
Re: Red Paint color for inside the Hohner Echophone Brass Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:42:47 PM »

Most paint vendors these days can offer a matching service.  For this purpose I’d guess an automotive spray paint might be best.  Preferably used on a dismantled and masked part.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »

Thanks Chris, good idea.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »

As mentioned previously:

Clean the brass with a proprietory metal polish, e.g. Brasso.

Red paint - a spray can of automobile paint is good. Clean the brass first and wipe off with meths to remove any residual grease or oiliness. Then mask off all sections not to be sprayed using low-tack masking tape. A coat of spray (grey) primer first will give you a better final red finish. You may need more than one coat of red paint.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »

With modern acrylic rattlecans, use a special metals or a self etch primer on brass, even so adhesion can be a problem - I'm still looking for a suitable primer for spraying chipped enamel finishes (the furnace fused ceramic rather than the rather misnamed paint)

What is wrong with leaving what antique dealers call patination (and add a nought or two to the price for  :o)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 01:24:02 AM »

I love antique brass with patina. Unfortunately over the years there was improper cleaning where spots were varnished and buffed so there is a very unnatural look to the horn. Figured I'd give it an even polish and remove the dents, re-paint while I was at it. Someday the patina will come back  (:)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:34:54 AM by Mark Luckasavage »

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »

With modern acrylic rattlecans, use a special metals or a self etch primer on brass, even so adhesion can be a problem - I'm still looking for a suitable primer for spraying chipped enamel finishes (the furnace fused ceramic rather than the rather misnamed paint)

What is wrong with leaving what antique dealers call patination (and add a nought or two to the price for  :o)
if you are refering to enamel( the furnace fused kind), when I learned to do this about fifty five years or so ago, I used ground coloured glass dust which was melted onto non ferrous metal pieces. The frit(powdered glass) was held to the metal, in its prefirrd state, with gum aribic.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »

Do you intend to renew all exposed materials on you echophone to the same level of "newness" as the new horn bore paint? How will you do this with the graphics on the metal corners, the bellows paper and buckrum on the bellows frames?
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »

I think the bellows are acceptable as is. I didn't notice any leaks. Being half Irish, I love the cloverleaf bellows paper, the metal graphics are OK although the St. Louis wording on the green section is a little worn. I am missing the brackets that hold the bellows together and will try to find them. The buckram is a nice red and will match it's color with the paint for inside the horn.

There is a red patch on one of the panels but I don't know if it can/should be repaired. I've seen other 1904 St. Louis world's fair boxes without the horn that have the same graphics and cloverleaf paper however the buckram is black. If I find a donor box with the bellows in excellent condition and figure out how to replace the buckram to red I might go for it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:00:51 PM by Mark Luckasavage »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »

Were you in the UK I would suggest Humbrol enamel for the red trumpet interior.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:21:51 PM »

I can get Humbrol enamel on Amazon. Found 2 glossy reds, which one do you think would be better? I think the Bright Red seems to match my horn but the Arrow Red seems to match the buckram on my bellows. Getting the Arrow Red would give a uniform look but the Bright Red would make the horn stand out. I'm leaning towards Arrow Red.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:05:10 AM by Mark Luckasavage »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal