Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Cockerill's Waltz?  (Read 1294 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Harry Cockerill's Waltz?
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:15:10 PM »

Here's another tune played by Harry Cockerill that I am struggling to identify. On the field recording, he played it in the sequence AABAC, which is the sequence in which I have notated it, but there were a couple of serious discords in the first 'A' music, so Harry may simply have repeated the 'A' music to correct those discords, which would make ABAC the intended sequence. Can anyone identify the tune? The previous tune Harry played was one composed by Jimmy Shand, so this might be another of his tunes, but perhaps not.

X:14
T:Harry Cockerill's Waltz
T:(Harry Cockerill)
M:3/4
L:1/8
S:Harry Cockerill
O:Askrigg, Wensleydale
R:Waltz
Z:Bob Ellis, 2019
K:G
D6 | G4E2 | F6- | F4E2 | D4F2 | A4B2 | E6 | D6 | d6 | c4B2 | A6 |
E6 | A4B2 | A4F2 | G6 | D4E2 | D6 | G4E2 | F6- | F4E2 | D4F2 | A4B2 |
E6 | D6 | d4d2 | c4B2 | A4E2 | F2E4 | D2B3D | B4A2 | [1G6- | G6 :| [2G6- | G4D2 |]
G2z2D2 | G4A2 | G4F2 | F6 | {GF}E4F2 | E4F2 | E4_E2 | D6 | {EG}B6 | c4B2 | A6 |
E6 | {D}F4F2 | E4F2 | E6 | D6 | {EF}G2z2D2 | G4A2 | G4F2 | F6 | E4F2 | E4F2 |
E4_E2 | D6 | {EG}B6 | c4B2 | A6 | E6 | F4E2 | F4D2 | G6- | G6 |]
D6 | G4E2 | F6- | F4E2 | D4F2 | A4B2 | E6 | D6 | d6 | c4B2 | A6 |
E6 | A4B2 | A4F2 | G6 | D4E2 | D6 | G4E2 | F6- | F4E2 | D4F2 | A4B2 |
E6 | D6 | d4d2 | c4B2 | A4E2 | F2E4 | D2B3D | B4A2 | G6- | G6 |]
B6 | c4B2 | d6 | c6 | {A}B4A2 | G2B4 | D6 | D2^C2D2 | E4_E2 | D4B2 | E6 |
D6 | {A}B4A2 | A4B2 | A6- | A6 | E6 | D4D2 | d4^c2 | c6 | B4A2 |
G2B4 | D6- | D2^C2D2 | E4_E2 | D4B2 | E6 | B6 | {A}B4A2 | E4F2 | G6- | G6 |]

Since upgrading to the latest version of EasyABC, I have noticed that the software is automatically inserting a space before and after each bar line, which didn't happen with my earlier version of the software. Can anyone with more experience of ABC than me please tell me whether this is normal and whether it even matters, since the tune plays normally when converted to midi and displays normally when converted to music notation.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Harry Cockerill's Waltz?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »

Since upgrading to the latest version of EasyABC, I have noticed that the software is automatically inserting a space before and after each bar line, which didn't happen with my earlier version of the software. Can anyone with more experience of ABC than me please tell me whether this is normal and whether it even matters, since the tune plays normally when converted to midi and displays normally when converted to music notation.[/color]
Spaces either side of the bar lines make no difference to the ABC coding or playback. It's a matter of personal preference - some people like them, others don't.
The default action in EasyABC is to automatically add spaces either side of the barlines. You can turn this off from the top menu bar:
Settings -> ABC typing assistance -> Add bar -> tick 'disabled'
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 05:18:55 PM »

I don't recognise the tune.
I used to get rid of those spaces, but as my eyesight has recently deteriorated I now see the point of them.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »

Although it does remind me of the theme tune to "Open All Hours"  (:)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

Thanks, Steve and Chris, for your responses about the spaces in ABC. I assume from this that it is just a matter of taste.

I don't know whether the theme tune to Open All Hours was written for the series or was a pre-existing tune. A bit of research uncovered that the pilot for the series aired in 1973, whereas Mike Yates recorded Harry Cockerill playing the waltz in question in 1972. By that time in his musical career, Harry was not learning new tunes, but playing ones that had been in his repertoire for a while. The only thing I can conclude from this is that Harry's waltz pre-dates Open All Hours, but that doesn't necessarily make it a different tune. I'm going out to a session now, so I'll listen to both tunes again tomorrow to try to determine how similar they are.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »

Haha, no, I didn't mean to imply that Cockeriil learnt if off the telly (1973!! wow, that long ago!!), though in the future it will have to be taken into account as a means of transmission; nor that "Open All Hours" pinched the tune. TV composers would be very careful not to infringe copyright, and likewise would want the royalties to be all their own. It was the generic similarity I had in mind.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Chris, and thanks for the clarification.

With regard to the TV as a means of transmission, I think you are right about needing to consider the possibility in some circumstances. I asked two of Harry's children (one of whom played drums for him for several years) whether he learnt any of his tunes from TV, radio or records. They confirmed what I already suspected - that he learnt quite a few of his tunes from the radio and from his collection of records - but they didn't think he learnt any from the TV. However, it is not impossible since they acquired their first TV in the mid-1960s, shortly after Harry became the licensee of the King's Arms in Askrigg.

A Dales musician who may well have learnt tunes from the TV was Septimus Fawcett, from whom John Howson recorded around 90 tunes in 1993.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal