Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing the Fight  (Read 2395 times)

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
Losing the Fight
« on: January 10, 2019, 03:06:47 AM »

Alright, so I've been slowly getting the old C#D Hohner in shape so that I can start playing some simple tunes and eventually start talking about actually tuning the thing. Apparently I was getting a bit ahead of myself on previous posts. It happens. Anyways, I have remedied several ailing reeds and I'm officially down to the F# (fourth button down) on the D row and one other on the C# row but the F#or lack there of is screwing up my plans. I simply cannot get the one reed to ping to save my life. I can't say weather it was like that when I got it or maybe I managed to screw it up. Regardless, I have spent a lot of time trying to gently encourage a sound and the hammer drawer keeps catching my eye. I took a little video but it's slow to load so I'll have to put it up later.

Please help

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Re: Losing the Fight
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:07:03 AM »

Line the reed up in the slot then bash the(well supported) rivet head with a drift and hammer until you are sure it is firm. If it just won't work buy a new one. The odd one just doesn't work.
Regards
Tiposx
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:32:28 AM by Tiposx »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

As Tiposx has suggested it's probably the reed making contact with the reed plate, and possibly the rivet is loose.  Take a look at the reed with a 10x lens, remove the valve from behind and put a sheet of white paper on the table to act as a background.  You should be able to see an even line of light on all three sides of the reed.  If not gently nudge the reed to the side.  You may have to press the tongue down slightly so its sitting in the vent rather than above it.   
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »

OK, thanks guys. I'll try that this evening.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »

A thin blade from a feeler gauge set is good for nudging the tongue back into alignment. On the side that appears to be catching in the slot, (use a bright light to discover this as per Theo) lift the tongue with a blade so you can insert the gauge blade (gently) between the edge of the tongue and the slot. Then nudge it very carefully and check with the light. It’s common to do that left/right until you get the tongue central to the slot, but the movement is really tiny tiny, so do it circumspectly and with care. Eventually the tongue will start behaving. Tightening the rivet can also help.
One other reason why it won’t ping is if there is glue or wax around the base of the tongue where the slot ends and it is riveted.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:49:08 PM »

I use feelers. When a tongue is misaligned, I shove a 2 thou feeler down between the tongue and the plate, then push the reeds into the aperture and run the feeler the full length, up and down. This usually does the trick, or just about.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:18:00 AM »

So I had marginal success in sounding this reed. I used all the advice at my disposal and tried to be as scientific as possible. I used a light and nice little magnifier to see where ithe tongue was making contact. I made ok clearance but it seemed almost warped. Tolerance is tight. I re-set the rivet and re-checked the clearance and managed to get a ping but not a really sound (bad pun i know) one. When I go through the scales it's just off. Very possible that it is just really out of tune with it's mate. I might try and mess with it a bit tomorrow. It did improve a bit but it's still off and trust me, I'm not a perfectionist.

Oh by the way, the .002 feeler gauge was a good tool for the job and it did free up a bit of adhesive or wax that was holding up a few other reeds on the rivet side. Thanks Edward.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »

You could try checking the edges if the tongue for tiny burrs or rust spots. Lift the tongue up a few mm and scrape all three edges with a scalpel.  This will remove any asperitierities asperities even those that are too small to see.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:52:55 AM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »

Definitely need to watch out for those asperitierities  (:)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »

I'm just trying to sound edumacated.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »

Some times you just need to give up and get a replacement.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »

This bloke went to see the doc, he said "I keep getting 'orrible 'eadaches doc" To which the doctor replied, "Take a couple of aspirates, that should sort things out"

SJ

Edumacated or wot?
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »

This bloke went to see the doc, he said "I keep getting 'orrible 'eadaches doc" To which the doctor replied, "Take a couple of aspirates, that should sort things out"

SJ

Edumacated or wot?

I'm almost there but first...the asperities.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »

I have this problem mostly with zinc reed plates due to warping or surface crystals touching the reed. The thing I often do is to wedge the reed slightly to one side then push it through the slot and it will scrape the side clean, then do that on the opposite side. This clears a lot of them.

I look for touching with a slightly different method I will push the reed in the slot just a bit then look for the space around the reed using a bright light behind it shining through. Spots with no light are where it is touching.
Use a dull jewelers file ground square to scrape away the bumps. This is not practical if it involves a lot of reeds.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

george garside

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »

SJ

Edumacated or wot?

I'm almost there but first...the asperities.
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 10:53:07 PM »

and heres me thinking they are arseperins and not quite sure whether to wsallow them or shove them where the sun doesn't shine

george 
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Scotty Gring

• Try putting a piano in a gig bag.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 01:33:08 AM »

You guys kill me.  I'm giving up Facebook and just staying here.
Proving each day that, just like golf, merely possessing the equipment
in no way guarantees you have any idea what the hell you're doing.      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hohner 1040C, 2815G/C (pre-Pokerwork), Hohner A/D 21/12 Italienne. Titano Titan Piano Accordion (with apologies).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal