Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online class for C#/D learners  (Read 1221 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Online class for C#/D learners
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »

I'm looking for one or more students to make up the numbers for an online group class, beginner level, Irish music. I've been doing this for a number of years with an intermediate group and it works quite well. (Students keep coming back, anyway!) We have been using Google Hangouts and more recently a free videoconferencing software.

The intermediate group is full but I now have some interest in a beginner-level course. A C#/D box is ideal but anything with a D row would work for the first little while. The class would start early evening Eastern Canada time (around midnight in the UK!) and last an hour. The class might be bilingual French/English, so you could learn some French as a bonus (:). Cost is CAN $140 for 12 lessons. Registration is through the Siamsa School of Irish Music in Montreal but please contact me first by PM if interested. Thanks.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
Re: Online class for C#/D learners
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:43:53 AM »

What comes before beginner? That's me. I have very little playing under my belt and to be honest my box is very out of tune still. If I can sort out my tuning issue then I'm very interested, as long as I don't hold up the group. When were you thinking of starting it up? I'm literally looking at my spare bellows right now and trying to figure out how to build a tuning table.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:49 PM »

I think its always interesting to read Stiamh's thoughts on melnet, and his video tutorials on youtube are well worth studying (even for a confirmed D/G player like me).
I remember reading his "Meditations  of Brother Steve" and nodding in agreement. And that was written many years ago, so I hope I'm not embarrassing him by mentioning it.

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:55 PM »

Thanks for that link smiley. That page is excellent and resonates with me.

A quick example, one Thursday in September I was in Huddersfield on a work trip. In the evening I went to a pub - The Grove - where there was the weekly Irish Session. Huddersfield University (/gruff voice: "it were a Polytechnic in my day") has a respectable music degree and one of the new students had popped in with his violin. He didn't even sit down and listen, just took his instrument out of the case and played The Irish Washerwoman. OK, he could have picked a less cliched tune, but that aside, he was obviously a top class player, no doubt had been a child protege, and was surely used to accolades whatever and wherever he played...up until then. He couldn't understand how the reaction was precisely - nothing. Someone just struck up a tune and away they went. It wasn't rude or anything, I am sure they appreciated his playing, but, well, you get the picture.

I managed to have a quick chat, and although very much a beginner myself at the time (I still am) I knew a bit about etiquette. But that is a whole new subject. I tried to explain the reaction. I think had I known I would have simply directed him to Steve's page.

. . .

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:19:30 AM »

That's all very nice of you lads - and thanks for removing the off-topic stuff, Theo. I will now attempt to lock this thread. Anyone interested in more info. on the C#/D course can contact me via PM.  :|glug
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal