Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help identifying keys for D/G/C 31 treble,16 bass Hohner diatonic Model 499  (Read 859 times)

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan
  • Hohner 499, Hohner Echophone, Hohner Morino VM

I'm re-tuning my box to D/G/C and put together a key chart that I think makes sense. Did I make a mistake somewhere? Where should I put the accidental red circles? Should I add the octave number on each treble key? Thanks in advance!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions

The treble side looks good. The red circles go on the first button of each row (far left in your diagram)

The bass layout confused me at first.
You appear to have the rows reversed.
In the diagram the top row should be on the bottom, nearest the bellows, and the bottom row should be on top.
(unless you prefer it as shown, of course).
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Is button 5 G row intended to be a reversal? ED instead of the usual DE.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan

I've adjusted this per Rees and Theo's comments. Thank you! Does it look right now?

I know this is not a common layout but I have old videos of my dad playing his 499 and I'd like to tune mine to his. I had a real hard time finding the D LL reeds however Andreas @ fraton-accordions in Germany hooked me up with the H stamped steel set along with all the treble, bass and chords!

Best regards,
Mark
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:40:18 AM by Mark Luckasavage »

pgroff

Hi Mark,

Great news that you found a set of DGC reeds!  I'm back in Miami now but assume you won't need the FBbEb reeds that were original to the accordion body I sent you.

When I got back here I actually was able to locate a second, even nicer example of your FBbEb with the reeds in it. If you would like the FBbEb reeds for your accordion body or a second example of that model with reeds installed, PM me. Even though it was fine with me to send you the body without the reeds, if you are taking the trouble to restore, play, and maintain one of this model, it might actually be useful to have another complete example, with its original reeds in place. This would answer all your questions about layout of the chords and accidentals, would guide your conversion of the reedless body to DGC, and would provide another set of keys (FBbEb).

PG
edited to add:

In your post just above, the way that you have your layout diagram shown, I think the bottom right pair of basses should be for F major /F and F bass / F bass

Not sure about your other notation.

The standard for layout diagrams here on melnet is different than Hohner uses in their instruction manuals.

PG

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:05:50 AM by pgroff »

JD

• Regular debater

In your post just above, the way that you have your layout diagram shown, I think the bottom right pair of basses should be for F major /F and F bass / F bass

F on push and pull gives the standard layout for playing on a C row. You could have F pull and Bb push which would give the bass layout for a G/C Club (if such a thing existed). You definitely need F on the pull.

Mark Luckasavage

• Vintage Hohner Fan

I updated the diagram according to Paul's suggestion with the bottom right pair of basses in F major /F and F bass / F bass. JD's comments regarding the bass F pull and Bb push on the bass layout is interesting however if it is not standard I'll leave this where it is. Theo, if you are reading can I contribute to the 3 row layouts if you think this is appropriate?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:01:47 AM by Mark Luckasavage »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal