Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Musescore 3.0  (Read 1962 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Problems with Musescore 3.0
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »

Is anyone else having problems with Musescore 3.0?

Over the years, I have developed a 'house style' for notating tunes in Musescore that has served me well. This includes using a particular font (Kunstler Script) for the title and writing out the melodeon fingering above the stave and the bass line below it.

Having downloaded the latest version of Musescore, I found that the titles of tunes I have already notated were illegible and the fingering and bass lines were all over the place. Since I have well over 1,000 tunes in Musescore, correcting every tune individually is out of the question, so I have ditched 3.0 and restored 2.3.2. Has anybody else had similar problems with Musescore and, if so, have you found a solution?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Brimley

Re: Problems with Musescore 3.0
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »

I've not upgraded to MuseScore 3 yet, but it does sound like a bug - that they will no doubt quickly resolve.

I know what you mean about 'house styles' - I've wondered about suggesting to them that the idea of templates should be a bit easier to incorporate.  How do you do this?  I've always wanted to use a different and larger font for the guitar chords, simply because that is the main thing I want to read as a mnemonic when playing box - it guides the player to select the appropriate fingering from the player's muscle memory.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »

Rather than creating a template, I establish my 'house style' with each new music file I create. I go into the 'Style' drop-down menu and click on 'Text', after which I set the style and position for my title, my fingering (which is set in the 'Style' sub-menu) and my bass line (which is set in the 'System' sub-menu).

I am sure that there is a more efficient way of doing it through setting up a custom-template, but setting the style individually in each music file has become a quick and simple process for me - having done it hundreds of times - so I have never bothered to work out how to create a template that will do the job automatically.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »

Bob,

There is a thread here (https://musescore.org/en/node/280244) discussing fonts in Windows 10 and their use with Musescore 3 and a couple of other applications. There is a post near the end that gives a possible solution, all to do with fonts being stored in more than one folder under Windows 10.

For the record I took a file from my Linux laptop (Musescore 2.0.2) and copied it to my Win7 desktop (Musescore 3.0.0) and it worked ok but it did ask about reverting to default settings which I declined.

Good luck.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »

Since nobody else here appears to have noticed this problem, I guess I'll have to send examples to Musescore to discover whether this is something that can be fixed easily.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:46:14 PM »

Sorry to learn you are having this problem, Bob.
I am on MuseScore 2.3.2 and will stick with it for the time being.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »

Any obvious benefits of upgrading to Musescore 3. Any new features?

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:05:50 PM »

Do you upload your "sheets/work"  to Musescore?   
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »

I can't really answer that question, Martin, because I uninstalled it as soon as I discovered it was messing up my files. I did, however, notice that some of the menus had changed so that I couldn't find some of the style characteristics I use. Whether they have gone or just moved somewhere else, I couldn't say.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I create new scores in Musescore using Ctrl+N or the 'New' button at the top left corner.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I create new scores in Musescore using Ctrl+N or the 'New' button at the top left corner.

There are two separate on-line environments for MuseScore:
https://musescore.org
This is where you can download the MuseScore software, user manuals, updates, etc.

https://musescore.com
I think this is what Stockaryd was referring to. This site is an on-line community for MuseScore users and self-publishers. Users can create an account (free, or for a fee to have more access and storage space) to upload their arrangements and compositions. It's worth creating a free account just to explore and download (editable) scores. There is an amazing amount of stuff on there. I have found it useful, for instance, to download a string quartet parts/score and then arrange them for clarinet quartet using MuseScore's editing, transposition and parts extraction features. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:27:40 PM »

Thanks for the explanation, Steve. I'll explore the on-line community to which you referred when I have a free hour or two.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »

The Musescore developers have introduced an old favourite - reverse file format incompatibility. Once you save a file in MS3 you can't open it in MS2. It's just like Microsoft Office back in the 90s!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out. It is a strong argument in favour of sticking with MS2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal