Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bulletproof rolling case question  (Read 1238 times)

Robin Elwood

bulletproof rolling case question
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:17:30 PM »

This is not quite a buy/sell question, though if anyone was selling one, it might be...

A while back, someone on here was selling a rolling black case for a melodeon...not constructed as such, but clearly . It was airtight, had high density shaped foam inside, and wheels and an extendable handle..

Does anyone recall the brand name or details of that ad? Does anyone else use a similar thing? I'm carrying an awful lot of cases to gigs, and was daydreaming about a rolling 2-melodeon case of great structural integrity.  (:)

Or does anyone else use something similar?

Thanks,
Robin Elwood

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: bulletproof rolling case question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »

I think the sort of wheely case Robin is describing is quite high-tech, and with adequate and substantial internal padding, and sprung suspension on the wheels, it would probably be OK, although expensive and heavy in its own right.

However, I've quite often seen people using wheeled frames like shopping trolleys (but with the shopping bag removed) with the instrument in its standard hard case strapped to the wheely frame with bungey cords or straps. Typically they have no proper padding or suspension and often used by morris musicians at festivals lugging their boxes from one dance spot to another. Sometimes the wheely frames are also loaded up with sticks, other bags, beer tankards, etc.

It may be OK if the road or pavement surfaces are nice and smooth but often they are not, and I've seen instruments on these wheely frames being bumped up and down kerbs, and worst of all, being rattled machine-gun like over cobbles and setts, like Whitby's east side streets :o. It goes through me to think of those poor reed plates and wax being subjected to such intense vibration :'( .  In this sort of situation, if you don't want to lug a hard case around by hand, I think it is much better for the instrument to be carried in a ruck-sack style gig bag.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »

You could look here.  https://www.skbcases.com/music/

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »

Pelican sells nice ones under the Pelican and Storm lines. I have had good luck with the Nanuk cases; there is good exchange rate with the CN dollar for us and their cases are slightly different size range.  Also, look at Kaizen-type foam; it it more durable than pick and pluck.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Robin Elwood

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:38 PM »

Thank you all. Good advice!

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
  • Pokerworks, Crane Duets, Bandoneon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06:59 PM »

Robin, you can usually find a suitable Pelican case used on Craigslist. There's a size chart at https://www.pelicancasesforless.com/t-pelican-case-sizes.aspx.  I had thought about one but hadn't decided on one or more melodeons in a single case, so also looked on Etsy at https://www.etsy.com and found some industrial cases that worked as well.

I do have Pelicans for a couple of my concertinas and am really pleased with them.  But you do have to be the judge of how much internal padding that you want, in relation to their standard sizing and the resulting bulk of the case.
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes." - Clinton "Bubba" Hare, Airheads Beemer Club

"OOP-ACK-THHPT!" - Bill the Cat

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:37:20 PM »

Robin
One of our morris musicians uses an inexpensive rolling small suitcase - cabin baggage size (Wilco / The Range luggage).   I have tried a rolling tool bag from Homebase: easily takes an Erica-sized melodeon and music.   And has a number of pouches arranged around three sides.

All these would need some impact absorbing material to add further protection for the instrument.
Hohner Erica D/G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal