Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Side Drop  (Read 2663 times)

Geoff P.

Re: Bass Side Drop
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »

I'm risking being told "that's not the right way to do it", as I have not seen anyone else do it this way, but I play sitting with the right hand end of the box on my right knee and the middle of the bellows on my left knee. I find that taking some of the weight of the bass end on my knee allows me to control the left hand better. It's something I learned from Rob Harbron for concertina playing.  I have not noticed any wear on the bellows yet (5years or so).

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 05:24:02 PM »

FWIW, I was advised many years ago (by a PA player) to try not to open the bellows to more than one third of their total length. I have tried to follow this advice, and while I do still occasionally come unstuck, the open bellows length in my avatar is pretty much my usual limit.  Not only does it make bellows control easier, it reduces wear & tear.
The famous Norfolk melodeon player Percy Brown was known for his economical and minimal use of the bellows. When asked about this, he reputedly commented, "All that air rushing in and out must wear out the bellows and buttons, now mustn’t it?"  :D
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 06:06:37 PM »

FWIW, I was advised many years ago (by a PA player) to try not to open the bellows to more than one third of their total length. I have tried to follow this advice, and while I do still occasionally come unstuck, the open bellows length in my avatar is pretty much my usual limit.  Not only does it make bellows control easier, it reduces wear & tear.
The famous Norfolk melodeon player Percy Brown was known for his economical and minimal use of the bellows. When asked about this, he reputedly commented, "All that air rushing in and out must wear out the bellows and buttons, now mustn’t it?"  :D

Illustrious company indeed,Steve!!  :D :D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

george garside

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »

I agree with Lester that  playing across the rows  habitualy diminishes the natural drive of a DG box.   when playing a   BC box where playing using both rows is the norm rather than an option (unless playing in B or C  !)     the drive has to be added  by bellows pulsing, and going to town on phrasing ,dynamics and right hand rhythm and maybe ornamentation..

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal