Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken rotella mount  (Read 841 times)

Boxhead

• Good talker
Broken rotella mount
« on: January 20, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »

Hello everyone, I would be most grateful for some advice please.

The rotella mount has come off the bass side of my box.

( As usual ) I am not quite sure of the correct terminologies so please forgive my ignorance.

It's been attached to the large piece of wood which forms the outside of the airtight chamber ( sorry don't know what it's called) with what looks like PVA. The mount has come off fairly cleanly thankfully. There's also evidence of adhesive and some type of tape that would have attached the wider side of the mount to the inside of the cabinet, ( the underneath of where your thumb would be if you were turning the rotella with the box in playing position)

Does anyone know what glue to use to re-attach the rotella mount and whether I need to apply it just to the back part ( the part that faces onto the large airtight plate) or to both sides? Should I just use PVA? How about Superglue? or is that a big no-no? Too permanent?

I realise all the pull force of playing comes through that rotella and insubstantial piece of wood and adhesive, it's a wee bit scary.

There's a couple of pics below, hopefully they will make my ramblings make sense.

Any pitfalls I should be aware of doing this job? I don't want to ruin my box!

Thanks for any replies.

Boxhead 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:22:50 PM by Boxhead »

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
Re: Broken rotella mount
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 09:14:17 PM »

Carpenters wood glue will do a nice job but figure out how you are going to hold it in place for several hrs first. If you have access to it Cyanoacrylate used for wood models and carpentry work works very well. Get the "gap filling" as it does not run or soak in like regular super glue does. Clamp for about 20 min minimum.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:14:37 PM »

Thanks, good to hear cyanoacrylates are ok to use for this job, do you think it's ok apply it to both faces of the mounting block?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:44:43 PM »

Essential I would think.  Whatever glue you use the surfaces will need careful preparation to remove the old glue down to a nice clean flat surface.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »

Cheers Theo, I shall dig out the sandpaper then. I don't understand the purpose of the strip of tape someone put in there, I guess I will just sand it all away and glue it.

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »

Job done! thanks Kimric and Theo. Just had a tentative test gently playing The Dusty Windowsill and it seems well. Session tonight and gigs later this week so that will be the real test, pumping it quite a bit harder than I did just then  :||::|glug Used Superglue in the end, hate working with that stuff. Really appreciate people's help on this board as I learn so much about the instrument and how to maintain it. :||:

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:03:34 PM »

Just don't use the bass strap as a carry handle and you should be fine. That is often how these get thrashed.
Good luck.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal