Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B/C and G/C or D/G boxes  (Read 2527 times)

bluzdulcimer

B/C and G/C or D/G boxes
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

Do any of you play both B/C boxes and G/C or D/G boxes?  I am wondering if it is confusing to go back and forth between these boxes since the fingering is different.  I play both English and Anglo concertinas and do not find it confusing to switch even though the fingering is quite different.  However, I do find it confusing to go between a B/C and a C#/D box since often the push/pull is reversed.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
Re: B/C and G/C or D/G boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:11:43 PM »

... However, I do find it confusing to go between a B/C and a C#/D box since often the push/pull is reversed.

To my mind the anglo/english and BC/DG type instruments are sufficiently different from each other to enable the player to develope the skills to play them independently, whereas the BC/C#D type instruments are too similar to each other (unless you use them to transpose up or down a tone by using the same fingering).  I assume, though, that there are plenty of musicians who can do this effortlessly :-\
Ciao Bellow

Darren

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:37 PM »

I have no problem switching between Anglo & English 'tina. Nor do I experience any great difficulties in moving between BCC# and my D/G and C/F boxes. I think of them as different beasties - a bit like when I switch between clarinet and saxophone.
AL

george garside

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:50:04 PM »

Do any of you play both B/C boxes and G/C or D/G boxes?  I am wondering if it is confusing to go back and forth between these boxes since the fingering is different.  I play both English and Anglo concertinas and do not find it confusing to switch even though the fingering is quite different.  However, I do find it confusing to go between a B/C and a C#/D box since often the push/pull is reversed.

laying BC & DG is not a major problem provided you learn & practice them separately to begin with. The BC & C#D  use the same fingring :& bellows movements to produce a different key or scale on each

bc          c#d
b              c#
a               b
g               a

f                g
c                d

some would argue that the C#D is easier to play in A but theres not a lot of defference

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »

And if you learn the fingering for A on the D row of a D/G,  its almost exactly the same as G on a B/C.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »

And if you learn the fingering for A on the D row of a D/G,  its almost exactly the same as G on a B/C.

which just goes to show that there isn't a world of difference between any of the push / pull boxes

george

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »

The BC & C#D  use the same fingring :& bellows movements to produce a different key or scale on each

My reading of Bluzdulcimer's post is that he's trying to play on both boxes in the same key and not use the different boxes to transpose the tune into a different key (by using the same fingering).  That's where his confusion is arising.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

waldoB

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »

The BC & C#D  use the same fingring :& bellows movements to produce a different key or scale on each

My reading of Bluzdulcimer's post is that he's trying to play on both boxes in the same key and not use the different boxes to transpose the tune into a different key (by using the same fingering).  That's where his confusion is arising.
How interesting. My D/G's were first, and I now switch between BCA and D/G without thinking about the very different fingering systems, even playing the same tunes in the same keys. What I do find confusing is playing tunes I learned on a D/G, on a C/F box. I'm not going to think too hard about all, that will be confusing, but I do have a redundant C/F Erica.   

bluzdulcimer

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »

Right, Dazbo.  I am more interested in playing the same tunes in the same keys on differently tuned boxes than using the same fingering for a different key.  It sounds like there is some consensus that playing a tune in G on a B/C box and then playing the same tune in G on a C#/D box is rather confusing, but less confusing  if playing a tune in G on a B/C box and the same tune in G on a D/G or G/C box.  Thanks for the replies.

george garside

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:44:19 PM »

Right, Dazbo.  I am more interested in playing the same tunes in the same keys on differently tuned boxes than using the same fingering for a different key.  It sounds like there is some consensus that playing a tune in G on a B/C box and then playing the same tune in G on a C#/D box is rather confusing, but less confusing  if playing a tune in G on a B/C box and the same tune in G on a D/G or G/C box.  Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't suggesting that you play the tune in a different key. just that if you are used to a BC box you then effectively use the F scale (BC box) to play in G on the C#D box & so on & so forth , In other words you dont need to learn any new or different fingering if you  can play a BC box just remember which set of fingering to use for what on the C#D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal