Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows Frame  (Read 1074 times)

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
Bellows Frame
« on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:24 AM »

After removing the frames from a bellows I noticed 2 notches cut in the end of each frame. I cannot see how the orientation of these notches would matter when everything goes back together, so I wonder what the purpose of these notches might be. Any thoughts?
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: Bellows Frame
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »

They might be there to accommodate reed block clips...but the important thing is to put the frames back *exactly* how they came off I.e. on the same side and the same orientation. I always mark bellows frames with pencil to avoid later confusion.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »

I second the notion of marking the frames. The frames are often biased or offset to accommodate registers on the left , or stops on the ends.
 The bellows pin holes are also often drilled after the instrument is assembled during final fit and will not line up even if the frame fits fine in a different orientation.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »

After removing the frames from a bellows I noticed 2 notches cut in the end of each frame. I cannot see how the orientation of these notches would matter when everything goes back together, so I wonder what the purpose of these notches might be. Any thoughts?

They are to accomodate the "screw in" type reed block retaining clips, as others have said it is important to replace the bellows retaining the original orientation,..... there are sometimes minor innacuracies  that could give rise to air leaks or failure to re- seat properly.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »

All good information.

If it's Hohner bellows then the two cutouts go on the treble side and at the lower end of the box.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »

If its a hohner box as original it wont go back together with out those cut outs alighned with the screw ends over the  block retainers. I see you have cut outs on both ends so is there raised block ends on both ends or has some one matched old ends. If you cross use other bellows between different boxes and box types be aware how the blocks sit inside the box when assembled, these cuts outs allow the blocks to sit further into the bellows with out fouling the edges.Check each ends action with the oppersite end removed it is very common for the bass end leathers to foul the bellows and not return flat that often gives a groal to the base.some times if not quite right, it just seems the bellows wont quite fit or seal and you think its the bellows ends but is the non cut out wood fouling the blocks if you rotate the end you will see what I mean. As long as the bellows seal  then they can be reversed but with no wood cuts  if the blocks foul they wont seal.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »

Picture is as the frames were situated when I got this Hohner box recently. Upon further inspection I found a groove worn on each outside end of each frame...caused by rubbing against the points of screws that affix the bellows straps. More damage to be addressed. Will have to either back out the screws or install shorter screws...then repair where they have rubbed.
    I now suspect that perhaps the bellows are not original to this box. Those 2 grooves on one end of each frame are definitely not required to accommodate anything in my box..even if installed backwards.
    Thanks to all who commented. I learn so much from this forum and enjoy it immensely!     
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:59:22 PM by Barry Tolson »
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »

Looks as if the box has been shimmed inside to fit the smaller replacement bellows.

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »

Tiposx, I don't think so. But, there is a groove cut inside the frame of the bass side, which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Without that groove, the frame would not fit the bass side. 
Hohner Club IIB Victoria
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal