Discussions > Tune of the Month

TOTM Chat

(1/7) > >>

Spikey:
Thank you to you both (:)

Yes, I often learn a TotM and feel that there is no point in posting as I am not playing it any differently to (or any where near as well as) the examples Clive puts up at the beginning, so I would not be adding anything worthwhile.  But have come to realise that there are people on here that can post fantastic and new ways of playing tunes, and then there are people more like me for whom it is an achievement to just learn the tune and get a half decent recording... and they're both valid ways of taking part.  Sorry, a bit of millenial-inspirational-speak creeping in ::)

Winston Smith:
"and they're both valid ways of taking part"

I'm pleased that you slipped that in there, Spikey! What, with the earlier part of your post, and P&T's (an excellent player IMO) reluctance to post for a similar reason, I was beginning to think that I should never have posted my feeble attempts in the first place, and certainly shouldn't in the future. But after reading the above, I might yet torture you all again some day!

playandteach:

--- Quote from: Fred on January 21, 2019, 11:33:26 PM ---I've heard that remark quite a few times already and if I'm not mistaken more often from you than from anybody else. My answer is the same as always: I don't have a webcam for my PC and I too much (!) prefer decent audio quality to use anything else than my trusty microphone setup.

--- End quote ---
Guilty as charged. But ask yourself (no need to tell us), did I do any editing that I wouldn't have done with video? No blame intended, really liked your playing. I just love to see it as well as hear it. Well played, and well recorded.

Tone Dumb Greg:

--- Quote from: playandteach on January 22, 2019, 11:39:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: Fred on January 21, 2019, 11:33:26 PM ---I've heard that remark quite a few times already and if I'm not mistaken more often from you than from anybody else. My answer is the same as always: I don't have a webcam for my PC and I too much (!) prefer decent audio quality to use anything else than my trusty microphone setup.

--- End quote ---
Guilty as charged. But ask yourself (no need to tell us), did I do any editing that I wouldn't have done with video? No blame intended, really liked your playing. I just love to see it as well as hear it. Well played, and well recorded.

--- End quote ---

Nothing wrong with a bit of editing. Don't see (or hear) what the problem is. Keep doing your stuff Fred.

Fred:
Sorry for further off-topic discussion but I'd like to add a bit to the statements made here.

--- Quote from: playandteach on January 22, 2019, 11:39:33 PM ---But ask yourself (no need to tell us), did I do any editing that I wouldn't have done with video?

--- End quote ---

Yep, I did. All of my recordings are recorded and post-processed in Audacity.
I always normalise the recordings. Sometimes I also use a compressor, however not very often.

Because I don't know any video editing, I would have to learn a whole new program for that (preferably free and open source software), find a way to do the exact same things as in Audacity and at the same time keep an eye on the video quality as well. I really don't know if it's worth the hassle.

--- Quote from: Tone Dumb Greg on January 23, 2019, 08:59:12 AM ---Nothing wrong with a bit of editing. Don't see (or hear) what the problem is. Keep doing your stuff Fred.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the encouragement, Greg. And I agree on the notion regarding "a bit of editing", at least as long as it stays within its limits (see my above explanation).

--- Quote from: Winston Smith on January 23, 2019, 10:26:25 AM ---Sorry, but naaaah! With some clever editing, even my playing could sound good! It's cheating!

--- End quote ---

At least from my perspective you (and of course anyone else) are more than welcome to learn/use high-class audio editing. If someone is able to pull off a decent recording and then improve on that recording by editing it (in whichever way), there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, one should always add a disclaimer then, so that listeners know what they're in for. (:)

jm2c
Best wishes,
Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version