Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Key of D or Bm?  (Read 4229 times)

busbox

• Regular debater
Re: Key of D or Bm?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »

Q: I would not regard this as a matter of theory so much as a matter of the feel of the tune.
Generally speaking i think that the fettlers have got the positioning of the chords right when the D A and G are so conveniently placed and the minor chords are on the inside row of my D/G box.
I would start with D chord until the feel of the tune absolutely forces me onto the minor chords. This might be a lazy approach but better than agonising over the key signature (I feel!)
T

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 08:34:53 AM »

I can understand that comment.
As I've mentioned earlier I'm not as good at feeling the D / Bm relationship as I am with G and it's relative minor.
That said, there was a time when I struggled to differentiate between G and Em so I'm sure it will come.
It is reassuring to know it's down more to feel rather than rules.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »

I can understand that comment.
...It is reassuring to know it's down more to feel rather than rules.

Of course, to me at least, that applies to all the music I play.
There are plenty of guidelines, but good things can come from stepping outside them.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »

Yes, very true Greg.
Just want to make sure 'stepping outside' doesn't involve me 'trampling all over with size 9 feet'  ;)
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Yes, very true Greg.
Just want to make sure 'stepping outside' doesn't involve me 'trampling all over with size 9 feet'  ;)
I'm a music theory nerd but I was always taught that the "rules" were created to explain in academic terms what was going on. First and foremost it's the music that matters. John Coltrane didn't know about the Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, he just played what he thought sounded good  (:)
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »

I'm a music theory nerd but I was always taught that the "rules" were created to explain in academic terms what was going on. First and foremost it's the music that matters. John Coltrane didn't know about the Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, he just played what he thought sounded good  (:)

Yes, yes and yes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:51:15 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »

Thanks guys.
I always work on the principal ' ignorance is bliss    ;D
Thrupenny Bit

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 06:14:43 AM »

I completely agree that music theory is descriptive and not prescriptive. However, I want to point out that John Coltrane studied advanced music theory with Dennis Sandole and absolutely understood and experimented with the theory behind what he was playing. He was by no means solely an "instinctive" player.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »

Thanks guys.
I always work on the principal ' ignorance is bliss    ;D

I'm happy for you.
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »

;D
Thrupenny Bit

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »

I completely agree that music theory is descriptive and not prescriptive. However, I want to point out that John Coltrane studied advanced music theory with Dennis Sandole and absolutely understood and experimented with the theory behind what he was playing. He was by no means solely an "instinctive" player.

One of my faux-authoritative screeds has been "Theory is the post-mortem of Music".
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

busbox

• Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 10:52:35 PM »

Q: The other thought I have on this topic, but one not really based in experience, is whether semi-tone box players would be a little bemused by it. As I understand the situation, semi-tone box players are more likely to use right hand chords as a matter of course and so would naturally produce the appropriate key?
T

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 11:31:17 PM »

Most semitone box players don't play RH chords much. Two row semitone boxes are quite limited on RH chords anyway.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 12:03:45 AM »

Most semitone box players don't play RH chords much.

I'm sure that is correct. However some of us do think about chords and how to incorporate full and partial right-hand chords into our playing.

To answer busbox, though, I don't know why semitone box players would be less interested in a pieces's tonality than anybody else. Anyone who plays in a band or with an accompanist surely would want to know what was happening in a tune like the one described by Quentin in the original post. I would, anyway.

Two row semitone boxes are quite limited on RH chords anyway.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this. On my two-row C#/D there isn't a chord in the chromatic scale, major or minor, for which you can't sound at least two of the notes in the triad. I don't think D/G players can make that claim.

Full major chords of B, C, C#, D, Eb, and F# are available.
Full minor chords of C, D, Eb, E and F# also.

Admittedly, were they available, full chords of G major and minor and A major and minor would get more use than Eb major and minor or C# major, but that's life with a semitone box, and you can do quite a lot with two-note chords. I use them a lot.

For the r-h chords available on a B/C, move all the above choices down a tone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal