Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Saxony Boxes? Any information about brands/dates?  (Read 440 times)

Peadar

• Respected Sage
  • Is e obair latha toiseachadh.
Two Saxony Boxes? Any information about brands/dates?
« on: January 27, 2019, 12:00:14 AM »

A pair of similar boxes- One marked "Golden Domes" and the small print stating "Sixty years 1864-1924" - Single row, 2 voice in D. The other two row, open keyboard, C/C# branded "Fitzroy Band" is also 2 voice. Are either of these known brands? 

The  reeds are brass and the treble reeds of each voice are mounted on a single zinc read plate. My guess is that they are Saxony boxes dating to the 1920's- Thumb and base strap of both are felt lined webbing.  The 2 Row, stepped open keyboard "Fitzroy Band" suggests a sales pitch at the then emerging Irish market for chromatics.

Do the rosewood finish and fretwork covers (sawn timber rather than ply)suggest 1920's to others or is this more typical of 1930's or even early post war finishes?

Worth an attempt at restoration? ::)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:57:28 PM by Peadar »
It's not MAD...just stress management:  Antoria: 3-Stop A. Hohner 1040-G  Chanson:C. Hohner AD and then there's the workshop.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: From the Same Stable?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:14:28 AM »

"Worth an attempt at restoration?"

After myself clarting about with similar types of old boxes, I would say "No". Unless, that is, you really want to do it for the experience and self-satisfaction.
Whilst I hope that you've given only small money for these, it would have been better spent put towards the cost of an old Hohner. There are still some very reasonably priced 1040 one rows knocking about, which are not as pretty as they once were, but still able to be made into worthwhile players. And they're lovely to play, once they're fixed up a bit, with a nice sound too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:16:02 AM by Winston Smith »
Although I can carry on messing with melodeons, the ongoing attention of the Ministry of Truth and the Thought Police will (no doubt) eventually teach me to really love Big Brother!

Peadar

• Respected Sage
  • Is e obair latha toiseachadh.
Re: Two Saxony Boxes? Any information about brands/dates?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »

Thanks Winston- good advice and taken - in that after buying the first one I realised I needed to start with something playable. Fortunately money wasn't so tight that buying these prevented me from buying a 1040 1 row in G - which feels a really nice box even though I have yet to tackle the bass end for "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".

I have (ahem) re-branded the Topic. Regardless of value /playability I would still be interested to know roughly how old these are likely to be....I am hoping someone with more knowledge might be able to shed some light  as to age and/or branding/manufacturer- Fret-work covers, rosewood coloured finish to the casework, open weave gauze (originally green) to the speaker holes . Do any of these suggest a specific period of manufacture?
It's not MAD...just stress management:  Antoria: 3-Stop A. Hohner 1040-G  Chanson:C. Hohner AD and then there's the workshop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.