Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sandpipers  (Read 1242 times)

Mr Squeeze

• Castignari Bennys - G/C & D/G/G# Lillys D/G, C/F, A/D
Re: Sandpipers
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2022, 03:53:55 PM »

I got a sandpiper, but I found that the notes didn't sound together.  So if you played a gentle chord with the RH, one or more of the notes would sound after the first.  Probably not a problem for hacking out morris tunes, didn't suit my style.
I guess that can be sorted by a visit to Theo?

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2022, 04:19:30 PM »

Probably not a problem for hacking out morris tunes ...
Ouch
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2022, 04:48:18 PM »

The 2 big things that a Sandpiper has over a Hohner to me are (a) a third stop on the bass end for neutral chords and (b) a paddle style air button like a Casta rather than the push-down button that I have always found remarkably uncomfortable on Hohners.

There are many other boxes that offer those two things though, if you want them, that are not Sandpipers. Even some in a not-too-dear price range, like the Saltarelle Bouebe.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »

The 2 big things that a Sandpiper has over a Hohner to me are (a) a third stop on the bass end for neutral chords and (b) a paddle style air button like a Casta rather than the push-down button that I have always found remarkably uncomfortable on Hohners.

To be fair, I have a box with a thirds stop and a few boxes without. I don't find the lack of the stop actually stops me playing anything. So far as the button v. wedge air control goes, I found the wedge a lot harder to get used to than the button, to the extent that I seriously considered having it converted. Eventually I got used to it.

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2022, 07:32:34 PM »

Having started on a wedge, I tried a Hohner with a button air button but found it very uncomfortable and cramping my thumb.
I have converted both my Erikas to wedges and find them very controllable.
But..... we are all different, and I might have got used to a button had that been my first 'learning' instrument.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

BobM

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 07:37:54 PM »

What about a used Castagnari Tommy for around a £1000? Only a few quid more that a new Sandpiper, and it may be all the OP needs, I'n not so keen on the LH 3rds though.

Bob.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 07:44:31 PM »

The Tommy is a great instrument, but I doubt if you'll pick one up second hand for that sort of money. A Lilly maybe...
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

BobM

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2022, 08:03:06 PM »

The Tommy is a great instrument, but I doubt if you'll pick one up second hand for that sort of money. A Lilly maybe...

Well, I tried one today, and had a very rushed play on it but it's a D/G (no reversals) so not in my comfort zone. It looked like a repair had been made on the woodwork, nice sounding box though..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal