Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for February 2019: Paddy Carey's  (Read 10350 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Tune of the Month for February 2019: Paddy Carey's
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »

But I did put some work into polishing Lounge Bar, and it's coming out really nice. So no regrets, really.

IMHO, The Lounge Bar is more worthy of your time.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Ransom

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »

Awesome attempt! I think you nailed down the B part pretty well but have to put in some more work to get the transitions between the parts right. Keep going, you still got a few more days to record it again! :D

Yeah, but I'm headed out of town, so I think that's the end of the line for the shortest month.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2019, 05:49:06 PM »

Well done for committing to playing for us to hear. Lots of it sound great (as does the box). We can all see past the flaws. Perhaps we shouldn't always aim for perfection or nothing.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2019, 06:34:21 PM »

Perhaps we shouldn't always aim for perfection or nothing.

!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2019, 09:05:20 PM »

Perhaps we shouldn't always aim for perfection or nothing.

I decided I agree! Since you kindly wrote a B major chord in just for me, I had to have a good stab at Paddy's Buddy for this one. Unfortunately, the A music for it keeps tripping me up, but, only if I just played Paddy Carey right before! Since I'm out tomorrow evening, this is where I'm at and it'll just have to do!

I arranged chords as best I could for Paddy Carey, since I didn't instantly trip over it in a book. Besides, being a 48 bar jig, if you don't change key or do anything fancy you can end up playing the same chords constantly. I figured I should play around a bit with it, especially in contrast to the chordplay at work in playandteach's tune. I've included my arrangement for it at the end of this post - maybe it's too much, I'm not sure, but, it sounds good to me - particularly fond of the C chord under the G in the 7th bar of the B music.

In other news, I'm also experimenting with some studio lights to try and lighten up the room a bit, but ended up having them aimed somewhere else completely almost since otherwise they were ending up reflecting off of the many glossy surfaces of the melodeon. They improved things a lot though, the shutter speed and ISO for my phone's camera was a lot better (so, it was getting more light so there should be less digital noise and things should look less blurry & be more detailed) - specifically ISO without the lights was ~1000, with the lights it was around ~200. They really need to be placed almost orthogonally to the camera, to help prevent the reflections - there's not quite enough space in the right places yet. Unfortunately, my phone still did get very warm and ended up dropping a lot of frames towards the end of the recording. However, I can't blame it since it probably recorded 15+ minutes of 1080p video before I managed to get through both tunes. I also cropped out some stuff (eg my glamorous face, but also a bunch of my jeans and a toolbox) in an effort to make the melodeon larger and more central the video, while also having both ends at least partially in focus. This reduced the the final output down to 720p, which seems more than fine. Audio this month is care of my mum's H2n, placed on a table about a meter away from me.

I played this on a 'new' 3v Oakwood, with the following stop configuration:
3 voice: on
Low Bass Fundamental: off
Chord Thirds: on

Paddy Carey & Paddy's Buddy (Pete Seago)
https://youtu.be/lpLsCKk6LFU

The arrangement I aimed to use for Paddy Carey:
Code: [Select]
X:134
T: Paddy Carey
P:ABCABC
R: jig
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K:Gmaj
P:A
|:"G"D2G GFG | "b"B2"G"G GFG | "C"E2A "e"A2"C"B | "Am7"cAG "D"FED |
"G"D2G GFG | "b"B2"G"G "Em"G3 | "d"FE"G"D "D"DEF | "G"GAB "d"A2"G"G :|
P:B
|:"G"G2B "C"c2e | "g"d2"D"e "G"dBG | "G"G2B "a"c2"C"e | "b"dB"G"G "D"A3 |
"Em"G2B "Am"c2e | "Bm"d2e "G"dBG | "C"G3 "Am7"BAG |1 "D"FEF "G"G3 :|2 "D"FEF "G"G2B ||
P:C
|:"C"c2A ABA | "G"B2G GAG | "D"F2G "b"A2"G"B | "Am"c2A "D"FED |
"C"c2A ABA | "G"B2G G3 | "d"FE"G"D "D"DEF | "G"GAB "d"A2"G"G :|

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »

Well now. Not only do you write with authority, but it seems you play that way too. Great precision and energy. Great way to finish the month. Thanks for taking the time to learn and record both pieces (but of course, it's especially warming to hear someone play one of my tunes).
I owe you a pint.
Pete
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2019, 12:04:10 AM »

Gena, very well played. That shrug at the end is the icing on the cake. :D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »

Another last-minute production from me:
https://youtu.be/e6QV2ViRXMA
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »

Just got round to listening to Gena's video of Paddy Carey and Paddy's Buddy.
I think I glanced at Pete's PDF before, but didn't think I'd be interested in learning the tune.
Now I do, and one of the best things you can say about a performance is that it makes you want to learn the tune, so thanks to both of you, for a great job of both writing and playing!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »

nice one Gena!.  I particularly like your good 'foot tapping' rhythm.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2019, 01:55:08 PM »

Scrappy maybe, but I always appreciate how you find interesting things to do on the basses without overegging the harmonic complexity of these simple tunes. I especially like the drone on the D in the B part the second time through.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »

Thank you all - Pete, Fred, Eshed, Anahata & George - for the kind words!

(but of course, it's especially warming to hear someone play one of my tunes)
didn't think I'd be interested in learning the tune.
Now I do, and one of the best things you can say about a performance is that it makes you want to learn the tune

It's a rare joy for myself, but I know the feeling! I do think there is certainly something special about sharing, and seeing other people performing a piece you've written - I think it helps keep folk alive. So, I tried to do it justice, and aim to continue in the vein of writing, sharing and playing music where I can. Thank you once again, Pete, for penning it.

I always enjoy and admire the sheer variety you're able to inject in your left hand. I'm finding I can write a pleasing-to-me & maybe a bit fanciful (or arty-farty ;)) bass line, but, that's how it is for the whole tune every time through. With a musical genre that's based on repeats, I think you're doing great work in championing the solo melodeon.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2019, 06:23:34 AM »

Great stuff Gena! Thanks all; time for the next tune! As ever, late contributions can still be added to the end of this thread even though we've moved on!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »

Late entry alert.
I was planning to record this with a couple more parts worked out from thhe Whitaker score, but I'm never going to find the time so here is my recording of the work in progress a couple of weeks ago. The four parts I play are all in the original score (but not exactly how I've done them   :D). The fourth part  is in William Winters manucscript.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/paddy-careys-fortune
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal