Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for February 2019: Song Tunes  (Read 11046 times)

Chris Thomas

Re: Theme of the Month for February 2019: Song Tunes
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »

Here's my instrumental version of 'Because he was a bonny lad.' I've been trying to play slowly and smoothly to improve my technique and I'm finding the Lily is very sensitive to every slight movement which shows up my ham-fistedness. But I've only been playing for just over a year and I'm learning all the time!

https://youtu.be/bfgqX_ayC4o

Somehow the sound got slightly out of sync. Sorry about that...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:55:25 PM by Chris Thomas »

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »

Just a thought, if 'Paddy Carey's' is actually the tune for a song then it counts as a sort of BOGOF for this month, right?

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,23470.msg280771.html#msg280771
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

arty

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »

Here's my instrumental version of 'Because he was a bonny lad.'

That is absolutely beautiful, one of the loveliest things I have heard in a long time. The phrasing, the space you have given this beautiful melody, make it sing out and tug at the heart strings. Hats off to you sir!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Chris Thomas

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 10:29:52 PM »

Here's my instrumental version of 'Because he was a bonny lad.'

That is absolutely beautiful, one of the loveliest things I have heard in a long time. The phrasing, the space you have given this beautiful melody, make it sing out and tug at the heart strings. Hats off to you sir!

Thank you for those very kind words! You've given me an unexpected boost tonight.  (:)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 01:23:59 AM »

Chris, I also really enjoyed listening to your lovely version of 'Because he was a bonny lad'. And that's the best sounding Lily I've ever heard!

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 01:50:49 AM »

My contribution is a fairly mellow interpretation of the Beatles song 'Michelle' played on an old C/F Hohner Erica.
Its something that I've played for a while - there's an earlier version on my soundcloud. I stretched out the ending just because I wanted an excuse to play a nice chord to finish (Dm with a suspended ninth?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTqwRBbAyL8

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »

Here's a song I used to do accompanied by guitar some years (decades) ago. Thought I'd try it with melodeon; hope it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjG4T7E1qOo

That works a treat.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Ellisteph

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »

Here's a song I used to do accompanied by guitar some years (decades) ago. Thought I'd try it with melodeon; hope it works.

That works a treat.
Grateful thanks Greg. I think I managed to drown out my voice at some points; a balance issue I'll have to work on.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »

That works a treat.
Grateful thanks Greg. I think I managed to drown out my voice at some points; a balance issue I'll have to work on.

Makes me wish I had a voice for singing with
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

arty

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 07:20:43 PM »

La Nonchalante, Emmanuel Pariselle.
I have worked hard on this, over the last 3 weeks and it is still very much a 'work in progress'! 
I took an arrangement of this tune by Play and Teach, (sorry Pete, please forgive the mistakes ;D), because it is forcing me to start using the half row on this Castagnari Dony,(I am used to playing 2 rows only) and I really was finding it a struggle. Now, I am beginning to relax with it and realise the potential of an extra 5 buttons plus the 12 basses, which I haven't really made use of yet. Also, I wanted to try and be more imaginative with the bass part and I am pleased with the way that is developing. I also want to work on a third part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvUWJqBq4E
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:49:22 PM by arty »
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »

I enjoyed listening Arty. Not much to feed back that won't work itself out in time anyway, so well done. I might have a go myself tonight (not video though).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2019, 09:47:23 PM »

I did have a go and realised that the sliding chromatic line needs to be done on the right hand. Obviously your G won't be on the pull in the same place as my reversal, but I suspect that you'll have it on the helper row.
See what you think.
La Nonchalante chromatic line
If you don't want to sit through the slow demo then I play it once at the proper tempo at 3'.47''
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:55:07 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 10:24:18 PM »

Thank you so much Pete! That all makes sense and yes I have a pull 'G' on the helper row, so that should be fine. That's my work sorted for tomorrow! In my head, I hear the tune starting quite simply, so this chromatic run, as you have shown me, may work really well the second time through, as the tension rises. I love it....Thanks again!

Peadar

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2019, 12:18:19 AM »

Tune might be a generous description for tonights attempt at recording. Video on smartphone...now how do I get it off smartphone onto PC? (USB connection between PC and phone)...what could possibly go wrong?

Expect this video to be posted later...possibly much later.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:41:40 PM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Peadar

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2019, 10:51:01 PM »

I felt I should establish myself as an abysmal player before I get sufficient posts on the forum to become a good talker.....

So this is my attempt at the port of "Thoir mo shoraidh dhan taobh tuatha" -a well known Skye song.

https://youtu.be/nOG5M7XfnGc
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:13:19 PM by Peadar »

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2019, 12:06:34 AM »

I felt I should establish myself as an abysmal player before I get sufficient posts on the forum to become a good talker.....

So this is my attempt at the port of "Thoir mo shoraidh dhan taobh tuatha" -a well known Skye song.

https://youtu.be/nOG5M7XfnGc

Ah, that wasn't even half as bad as you told us it'd be. Far from abysmal. Keep on practicing and one day look back with a smile at where you started and where you arrived.  :||:

Peadar

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2019, 07:56:28 PM »

Ah, that wasn't even half as bad as you told us it'd be. Far from abysmal. Keep on practicing and one day look back with a smile at where you started and where you arrived.  :||:

Thanks Fred - at this stage I need all the encouragement (:) and practice :||: I can get.

P S : And this is/was post No.50 :|bl
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:02:10 PM by Peadar »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 12:17:53 AM »

The really useful thing about tune of the month is that, if you play the game, it forces you to record yourself and listen to what you actually play, rather than what you think you play. This is not easy, in fact it can be excruciating, but it is one the best learning tools available. Play it the best you can make it. Hear the weaknesses and work on them. You will find yourself improving at a rate of knots, especially in the early days.  Be aware, you will never, ever, be quite satisfied with what you have done.
Greg Smith

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2019, 08:37:09 PM »

This just in:
Rogue's March https://youtu.be/f0ApSVk9deU
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal