Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows Repair  (Read 931 times)

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
Bellows Repair
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:57:32 AM »

I have a spare Pokerwork type bellows that I'm fixing up and was wondering if the old tape should be completely skinned off or just cover it over. There are a few loose bits that will come away easily but most of the old tape is stuck fast and will be a pretty big job to remove it all. The tape from the factory is 3/4" and I bought 1" replacement. I thought that if I went over the old tape that my bellows would possibly end up being really bulky.

Thoughts?

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Bellows Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:07:31 AM »

It's always best to remove the old tape.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »

Like GPS said it's best to remove the old tape, but it is probably the most hateful melodeon fettling job of them all.

https://youtu.be/UwQ1ZCbmNq8

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »

Agreed that it is best to take it all off. But... with the Hohner thick black tape with the water resistant skin I have tried it the easier way and it does work. They seem to have a good bond, but of course they can wear through eventually.  I removed all the shiny surface with blunt blades, then lightly  sanded the fluff that remained. Any loose bits were removed. This provided a sound base to glue the new strip on.
I  replaced the most worn tapes on my old Pokerwork and it feels and looks just fine. I can't see which are the replacements and which are original.
I don't think it would work well on the papery gold tapes, as they always seem to partially unglue themselves, leaving an unreliable surface.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »

That’s a good method if you leave the old tape.  The retaped bellows will be fatter, so you will probably need new longer bellows straps.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »

Looks like I'm in for the long haul. Thanks

Scotty Gring

• Try putting a piano in a gig bag.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:02:03 AM »

So happy (or not) to find this thread as I have a 1040 I'm cleaning up and wanted to "cover over" the old roughed, peeling bellows tape.  Also seeing it 3/4" wide and purchased good 1".  I assumed the bellows straps would need to be bigger and was mostly concerned that I'd be losing bellows travel due to the fact that it wouldn't compress as far.  I guess I will also see what I can remove. 
Proving each day that, just like golf, merely possessing the equipment
in no way guarantees you have any idea what the hell you're doing.      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hohner 1040C, 2815G/C (pre-Pokerwork), Hohner A/D 21/12 Italienne. Titano Titan Piano Accordion (with apologies).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal