Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Filming ones self playing.  (Read 3920 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Filming ones self playing.
« on: February 07, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »

I have never managed to make this work satisfactorily. What setup do other Melnetters use?
I particularly like Anahata's You Tube oeuvre, along with Clive's and  Lester's, many other's too.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Filming ones self playing.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »

I use a Panasonic TZ100 on a tripod for both video and audio. I process the file using iMovie on my iMac. Unlike others I don't apply any effects to the audio although I have been known to edit mistakes out of the audio after take 67 of a particular tune. (:)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »

Ha, Sir John, there is no end to how far you can go down the road to technical complexity (see the YouTube video of our own Baron Collins Hill for an interesting and by no means extreme example).

On the other hand, if you want to keep it dead simple, you can get pretty good results with an inexpensive point-and-shoot digital camera and no editing software at all - e.g. a Canon Powershot Digital Elph which I have used for all my own videos, many without any editing.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

I've just used a simple pocket camera for most of mine, Canon Ixus on a tiny tripod.  At first I had to guess about the framing, or take test photos.   In recent years I've set up a shaving mirror behind the camera, so, while playing, I can see the screen on the back of the camera. Much easier framing now. My only editing is to trim the beginning and end using the Photos app within Windows 10.

I did try to improve the sound quality by recording on a Zoom H1 recorder, plugged into a cheap Kodak Zi8 video recorder from Oxfam/Ebay, but had problems getting the level right  and with variations caused by automatic level setting on the Kodak.  I was not willing to put the time into learning how to do this properly, and also unwilling to learn audio editing and synchronisation. 
So after a brief experiment with an obsolete Zoom Q video recorder,  I've now returned to using my little Ixus..... which seems to have no difficulty setting an appropriate level.  My videos with the most hits were all made with the Ixus, so I'll settle for the ease of using that.   But then..... my videos are probably not among those you admire.

laurenth

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »

I'm using a Zoom Q2n I bought some time ago.

Rather effective, the sound is good.

I still have to put the videos on some platform to get a feedback... too shy at the moment
Laurent :||:

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:33 PM »

I still have to put the videos on some platform to get a feedback... too shy at the moment

Now now, there's no need to be shy. We're a helpful and lovely bunch and are just here to celebrate music and encourage everyone to improve their melodeon skills. (:)

laurenth

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 06:55:36 PM »

Now now, there's no need to be shy. We're a helpful and lovely bunch and are just here to celebrate music and encourage everyone to improve their melodeon skills. (:)

I know, I know! This site is a great place to be/learn.. But I've lost too much since I do not have any melodeon buddy (playing alone is a pain, and my job does not help finding time and places to play) so I need to get back to a decent playing. But I boughtthis device with the firm intent to share so that I can get feedback, I just did not decide exactly when  8)
Laurent :||:

richard.fleming

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »

[/quote]Now now, there's no need to be shy. We're a helpful and lovely bunch and are just here to celebrate music and encourage everyone to improve their melodeon skills. (:)[/quote]

I think we are all too polite to tell people what we really think of their videos.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »

I think we are all too polite to tell people what we really think of their videos.

Whilst this is true in the public forum I, for one, have handed out helpful hints over PM to people who's videos could do with some helpful hints  ;)

Fred

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »

Hm. I think this may be true for the majority of people here, so you're right. However, I'm German and I like to be upfront with my statements (and also hope for others to be like that towards myself). So whenever I have something critical and (more importantly) constructive to contribute to the postings made on this forum, I always try to do so. This may be taken as vice or virtue but I normally treat others as I would like to be treated. (:)

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 03:34:10 AM »

Well said up front!

I use my phone to record myself iohone 6s plus... and i dont mind being told i sound like crap 😁

https://youtu.be/4Who1lBxiPo
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, SabĂ­an, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

george garside

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »

about 5 years ago I managed to film 2 youtubes of myself using laptop camera and microphone - the bugger filmed one of them  ( see youtube george garside melodeon)
back to front as if I was playing it left handed!  . The digital world and me coexist very uneasily!

george the luddite!
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »

Photo Booth is dead easy, but don't forget to set it to reverse the image, otherwise it looks like a mirror.  Use an external mike.  I use a snoball. ('course my vids still are terrible, but that's because my playing is terrible (!)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »

Just found a wee Toshiba digital camera for sale locally, so will have a go with that. My old digital camera uses micro tapes, and so it is harder to transfer onto other media.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »

about 5 years ago I managed to film 2 youtubes of myself using laptop camera and microphone - the bugger filmed one of them  ( see youtube george garside melodeon)
back to front as if I was playing it left handed!  . The digital world and me coexist very uneasily!

george the luddite!

George...

You need to update your membership.  We're the Neo-Luddites now...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Fred

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »

Just found a wee Toshiba digital camera for sale locally, so will have a go with that. My old digital camera uses micro tapes, and so it is harder to transfer onto other media.

SJ

oh i remember microtapes. great idea, awesome video quality. however, transferring to digital has always been a bit of a hassle (my father owned one of these before he resorted to a sony dslr for photography and videography at the same time)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »

Right, I experimented recording onto a memory stick, and while the sound is not too bad, the vision is grainy. Is there an answer to this?

SJ

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »

Others will have more helpful answers, but you might find that there are levels of recording quality that you can set. Not sure what you mean by recording onto a memory stick?
One thing that I find really helps is recording in very good light - ideally natural light too. Of course this is at odds with the time in the day that I can find to get the space and uninterrupted time to record - which is usually later in the evening.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:20 PM »

I was recording on my Sony Handycam DV cassette digital camera. It has both the DV tape, and the Sony Memory stick fitted. One can record onto either. As it's easier to record onto the memory stick, for the purpose of transferring to PC, this is what I'm trying to do.

Sir John

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »

I use a standard, not very good logitech webcam for recording - selected because it's one of the few things I can get to work reliably on Windows 10. Sound quality is awful. I record with a Zoom H2 plugged into the computer as a USB microphone, and record that at the same time as the video, and marry them up in Windows Live Movie Maker. Not the most sophisticated setup, but it's the sound that's important to me, rather than image quality.

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal