Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filming ones self playing.  (Read 3916 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Filming ones self playing.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 07:17:29 PM »

...I record with a Zoom H2 plugged into the computer as a USB microphone...

Is there any benefit to using the H2 as a microphone rather than a recorder, apart from not having to transfer the file?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 07:50:43 PM »

...I record with a Zoom H2 plugged into the computer as a USB microphone...

Is there any benefit to using the H2 as a microphone rather than a recorder, apart from not having to transfer the file?

Purely convenience of not transferring the file. As far as I know the sound quality is pretty much identical. I do sometimes use it as a stand alone recorder too.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »

OK, I have put a test piece on the FB Melnet page, so that you can see what the problem is.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »

I rather suspect that the picture is the best the Sony Handycam can do, because it's rather old technology.
Click on the cogwheel icon at bottom right on video: it says Auto 240p.
That means picture is 240 pixels high, so 360x240 - fairly coarse resolution compared to what we are used to on YouTube these days (commonly 640x480 or 1280x720), but actually perfectly serviceable for uploading videos for Melnet - enough to hear and see what you are playing and what kind of box etc.

On the other hand you can buy a higher resolution camcorder on Amazon for less than £20. I saw one for less than £5 just now. With no assurance at all about how you get pic and video to your computer, or how well they work, but they exist...

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:54 PM »

20 € (or GBP) should get you far enough to get a simple camera for home recording.
If you're only interested in picking up video because you have a dedicated microphone for sound, I'd even recommen getting a webcam (e.g. a Logitech C270 HD is cheap and easy to use).

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 02:04:30 AM »

Any particular tricks to syncing the sound from the secondary mic with the audio? I keep thinking I have it and then after I'm all done I notice it's ever so slightly out of sync. Not sure if that's because I didn't line it up right or because something is wrong with my encoding settings like the frame rate or whatnot. It's annoying, because like I said I don't notice until it's already rendered and uploaded to YouTube.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 03:08:13 AM »

Well, first step is I export the original (fairly shoddy sounding) audio from my video - the audio that I want to replace. Then, I bring both files into Audacity, and just visually line up the better audio with the shoddy audio, pad/cut parts off etc the secondary mic track to start/stop at exactly the same point, mute the shoddy track, and export it all back out. Finally, use that output file to replace the video's audio, encode and mux the lot of it together, and send it on its way to youtube.

If there are sync problems with my preferred audio - eg, one is longer than the other, I should be able to see them by visually comparing how in sync the base audio and the replacement audio are at either end of the recording. If there is a problem, I'd check to see if it seems like a linear thing across the whole recording, so every 1 second needs eg 1.01 seconds of audio, or, if there's just like a section where 1 second of audio is just missing or something. I'd try to fix that with audacity's effects, like Change Tempo, and just mathematically calculate the % change needed to sync my good audio to the 'poor' audio, or, perhaps I would time stretch my video by that amount, re-export the audio and redo the process above.

May I ask, how are you doing it? How are you bringing your secondary mic audio into your video? What's your workflow like.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »

KDEnlive has simple tools for this. Right click on video track, click "set audio reference", right click on audio track, click "align audio to reference" and it seems to get it about right. Some of my earlier videos are a bit out of sync but I wasn't doing it that way then.
I'd have thought any video editor that can merge audio and video would have something similar.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »

The latest windows live movie maker shows you the video's sound as a graph, and also any imported audio (from your recorder) as a graph too. All you have to do is line up the two graphs, and mute the video's sound. It's a doddle. Earlier versions don't have that, so I do it by ear, mixing the audio such that I can hear both, and moving them until they're in sync, and then muting the video's sound again. It's not that much harder to do if the video and audio files are cropped to just the bits you want before you start.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »

If I make a video, rather than just an audio recording, I import the video and sound from the videoing device and the audio from my H2, to my PC via HD card, and put them in a project folder, using explorer.

I open the sound file in my DAW and make it the way I want (trimmed to length and a tiny bit of processing).

Next, I raise a new project in my video editor (Videopad) and drag the video, complete with video sound, and the H2 sound file into the project and align the visual representations of audio you get  (just as in a DAW) to synch them. Then I make the new audio the active one. I leave the old audio there, turned off, in case something goes amiss.

Trim it to length. Give it a few credits and fades.

Export it and load it to Youtube. Job done.

All I need now is a camera.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:54:59 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »

I have been using KDEnlive to edit the video and match up the audio. I rapped on the keyboard before the take to give a good reference point to line up with. I import both the video and audio into KDEnlive, and manually try to match up the waveforms and verify the sync via the playback, with both audio tracks playing. Then I mute the audio from the video. I can get it very close, but then when I was rewatching my Constant Billy video, I can see on the very last chord for instance, going from a pull note to a push G chord, you can hear the pushed notes but the video shows the bellows reversal a fraction of a second later. That's why I'm wondering if it's more of a frame rate issue in the rendering; that my video is running ever so slower than my audio and getting noticeable out of sync by the end.

Anahata, I will have to try the "align audio to reference" tool. I didn't know it could do it automatically.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 04:07:51 PM »

The latest windows live movie maker shows you the video's sound as a graph, and also any imported audio (from your recorder) as a graph too. All you have to do is line up the two graphs, and mute the video's sound.

I should have mentioned that you can do it that way with KDEnlive too.

I suspect there is some delay in the video rendering on KDEnlive, so that adjusting the audio to to sound in sync with the video in the monitoring window doesn't always get the result you expect.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »

I'm trying Windows Movie maker, and I have got my self playing melodeon on film, to the sound of me playing 12 string guitar. Now I need to figure out how to save it ;)

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »

I have a Samson CO1U USB Studio Condenser mic, 2nd hand off Ebay for £20 (£80 new?). It was designed for exactly this job, for all those very many people who have their own YouTube channels and want a higher quality of sound; it has become the standard mic among gamers, I believe.

It's plugged into a USB socket, the laptop recognises it straight away (Win 10 does anyway. Depending on your Laptop you may have to "find" it first). Record your piece with the laptop's inbuilt Webcam. Bingo.

Here's one I made last year to sell a fiddle on Ebay. It's not "BBC" of course, but suitable for the job in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSf87Ubs0g&t=87s
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal