Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Time Tunes on the box  (Read 1700 times)

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
Old Time Tunes on the box
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »

I've been regularly attending a few old-time sessions with the box, and realizing how adaptable some of the tunes are.
Apart from a few odd looks when first attended, I'm finding picking up the melody in some relatively easy, It's not too fast a session either.

Some of my favorites are: Waynesboro, Cherokee Shuffle, Kansas City rag, Booth Shot Lincoln, Chadwell's Station a lovely little waltz I've nicked from The Foghorn String Band called 'The Rose Waltz'

Anyone else has any other tunes I could add to the repertory?

Is there any other old-time box players out there?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:39:05 PM by melod-ian »
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

george garside

Re: Old Time Tunes on the box
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:41:15 PM »

depends on your definition of  'old time' tunes.  For me there are loads of 'old tyme' waltz tunes that I play fairly regularly for dances  ?naff tunes ? too simple. ? not folk/trad or whatever.  just a few examples   -she's a lassie from Lancashire, daisy Bell (daisy daisy),  oh dear what can the matter be, westering home, My bonny lies over the ocean,  I also use ?old tyme tunes eg coming round the mountain, red river valley,  Blaydon faces, mademoiselle from armentiers, Knees up mother brown ,happy wanderer, etc etc for dances like the virginia reel, circassian circle etc etc.

some may see them or some of them as 'old tyme' others may just see them as being 'naff'. - but to me the important thing is not only do the dancers like them but so do those 'sitting out' thus making for an enjoyable evening for all (I hope!)  And as the evening develops   a wee touch of  falling over jiuce banishes inhibisions  and both dancers and sitters out   singing along
george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:08:13 PM »

in this case George, American Old-time fiddle or Appalachian - of course, this is ambiguous calling it 'American'
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:49 AM »

I've played box in a few old timey sessions and really enjoyed the way a tune is repeated so many times that you can get into a nice groove synchronising with the fiddlers' bowing and phrasing - half an hour playing in D followed by another half hour in A. Tried playing the 'bull fiddle' and ended up with massive blisters on my plucking fingers after a couple of long sets.

Some tune names I recall: Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Further Into the Fire (G); Snake River reel (D); Three Thin Dimes (A), Sandy Boys (A), Sally Ann (A), Bill Cheatham (A)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:54:13 AM »

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:20:30 PM »

I've played box in a few old timey sessions and really enjoyed the way a tune is repeated so many times that you can get into a nice groove synchronising with the fiddlers' bowing and phrasing - half an hour playing in D followed by another half hour in A. Tried playing the 'bull fiddle' and ended up with massive blisters on my plucking fingers after a couple of long sets.

Some tune names I recall: Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Further Into the Fire (G); Snake River reel (D); Three Thin Dimes (A), Sandy Boys (A), Sally Ann (A), Bill Cheatham (A)

YES!  Three Thin Dimes &  Sandy Boys I recognise. I should make a note of their names.
I did start off just playing around with the chords but actually found it more satisfying trying to pick out the tune.
I take a D/G and my A Cajun box that covers most of the keys played
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:41:21 PM »

...Some of my favorites are:... Kansas City rag...

If we're talking oldtime=ragtime, then I like Pig Ankle Rag which I'm just learning because many, many
years, ago when I first heard ragtime music (on the guitar), I was blown away and I swore that one day
I would learn to play ragtime music on something, even if it was only a comb and bog-paper. T'only took
50 years!

There's a version of Pig Ankle Rag on the melnet big ABC file. Here it is (my chords, transposed to D, and
opening '|:' added to B music to get my ABC player to 'do the decent thing'.):

Code: [Select]
X:1
%From melnets_big_abc_file.abc
T:Pig Ankle Rag
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=120
R:Hornpipe
K:Dmaj %was G
af|:"A"gecA- A2af|gecA- AABA|"D"dABA dABA|dBAF A2af|
"A"gecA- A2af|gecA- AABA|"D"dABA dABA|dABd- d B d2|
"G"B4d3e|"D"f a2a bafd|"A"Acea fdec|1d2a3^g af:|2d4c2B2||
|:"A"ABcA BcAB|cABc- cBAF|"D"D2dA BdAB|dABd- dBAF|
"A"ABcA BcAB|cABc- cBAF|"D"D2dA BdAB|dABd- d B d2|
"G"B4d3e|"D"f a2a bafd|"A"Acea fdec|1"D"d4c2B2:|2"D"d6|]

There's two versions on The Session, but the ABC code for the first one is a bit flaky (slurs used instead
of ties and a couple of instances where a quaver occurs instead of a crotchet). Second version is better.

...Some tune names I recall: ...Snake River reel (D)...

That Snake River Reel is a cracker too - here it is, from the SPUDS website:

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Snake River Reel
%From the SPUDS web site - http://www.thursdaycontra.com/~spuds/TuneLinks.html.
C:Peter Lippincott (1985)
S:Portland Collection: Volume 2
Z:Peter Ostapenko 3/27/2007
L:1/8
M:C|
K:D
|: fg | "D"a2a2 fedf | "A"efed B2AB | "D"d2d2 fede | fa- af a2fg |
         "D"a2a2 fedf | "A"efed B2AB | "D"d2d2 "A"BAGE | "D"D6 :|
|: AB | "C"=c2c2 "G"BAGG | "D"ABAG EGAB | "C"=cBcA "G"BAG2 | "D"Ad- dA d2A2 |
         "C"=cBcA "G"BcBG | "D"ABAG FED2 | A,B,CD "A"EFEC | "D"D6 :|
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:37:39 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Frank Pallister

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »

hi i play a H110C which i converted to D i have played it on my visits to Virginia and won $$$ playing tunes such as  Cindy , golden slippers , year of jubilo , soldiers joy ,rock that cradle joe, st annes reel ,missisipi sawyer ,liberty, dixie , uncle joe ,  robinson county ,polly wolly doodle , ragtime annie , angelina baker , walking up georgia row , home sweet home  etc . of course you have to be happy to play in one key !

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 07:40:41 PM »

This page has some good stuff on it, also some links to others.
I was just looking for C tunes on this page and tried ( Old Mose ) it was easy to learn and fits well on the box.
https://www.mne.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes.html

Jimmy Johnson ( lost Indian)
lets face it we all know who was really lost!! , and it wasn’t the so called Indians.
Buffalo nickel
Red haired boy
Forked deer
Leather britches
To name a few.

I need to learn the chicken polka, I like it!!

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 09:58:27 PM »

Following along because old time jams are fun although I've never brought a box. My brother plays banjo and recommended this website https://www.oldtimejam.com/ .  We'll have to try some tunes together and see what fits.  Looking forward to hearing how you get on
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal