Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Smiling  (Read 6621 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Smiling
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »

The solution is staring us all in our glum faces: stop using the left hand!

Your right-hand playing will improve, you will look happier and breathe easier, and everyone listening will be happier too  >:E

sticky fingers

• Tech Guru
  • Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »

Your right-hand playing will improve, you will look happier and breathe easier, and everyone listening will be happier too  >:E
Seconded!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:01 PM »

Are there any videos of yours to prove this?   (:)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 07:45:10 PM »

I cannot even tap my foot to the music - let alone smile (without looking like I’m leering☹️).
Chris, I think you hit the nail on its head . An almost-consensus in my Foot Tapping thread was that foot tapping should come directly from the music, and not be a conscious effort. In essence it's making a brain-bypass, you need the music playing in your brain and then it goes out to the hands, arms and legs. I suppose smiling is the same, if you're happy when you're playing you should be able to let go of your face and the smile will appear.
Are we happy when we play, then? While I find it enjoyable, I'm mostly stressed because that bum note is just around the corner! If I manage to force a song into submission you might see something resembling a smile :)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Pazza

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »

Thank you all for your very interesting comments, I have now decided not to try to smile when playing, everyone says I’ve got a miserable face anyway. Lester I think I have probably watched all of your videos in anticipation of a smile and never seen one. Still time though perhaps one day  😁
Dino Baffetti DG

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »

Well, I wasn't the one putting forward the mathematical proof... but come to think of it, if you saw me playing basses I think the point would be settled.

I think I'm a bit better now but in the early days of my trying to play box with a dance band one of the other musicians, after studying my face for a minute or so, asked me if it was painful.  ;)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »

... you need the music playing in your brain and then it goes out to the hands, arms and legs. I suppose smiling is the same, if you're happy when you're playing you should be able to let go of your face and the smile will appear.
Are we happy when we play, then?

Playing is one of the things I love  best. It makes me happy. You can't tell from from my face, but I'm happy.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:42 PM »

I play quite a bit with a very competent singer/song writer who plays guitar at the same time as singing, and it is interesting to compare the difficulty that most melodeon players have in managing even a smile, with the widespread capability of guitar players to sing as they play.

Are guitars slightly simpler to play than melodeons so that they leave enough "brain power" for singing? (should I run for cover?)
Or is it because so many guitar players learn to play at the same time as they sing - singing right from the off?

Perhaps the movement of melodeon bellows in and out, together with coordinating finger movements on both hand does require more "coordination" than playing a guitar?

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »

Stotty, as a guitar player I think you have got it about right. Two things versus four things at the same time (bellows button is the fourth)
Mike

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »

;D it's suprising how many mistakes you can get away with if you can master smiling and just carrying on playing the tune  :|||: ..... listeners see the smile and either don't hear the errors or assume it's an "arrangement"  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »

Vic Gammon usually has a genial smile when he's playing his many Hohners though these days he mostly plays to accompany his singing.
I do remember many years ago playing with him at a dance and he was quite happily calling while playing box.
Actually I seem to remember Bob Cann calling too while playing solo.
And I can't even smile. A slight raise of the eyebrows when it's time to change tune is sometimes beyond me.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 06:39:17 AM »

[/quote]

Sharon Shannon ?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »

Naturally I'm smiling a big toothy smile during all my videos ... but you'll just have to take my word for it    ;)

george garside

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »

Vic Gammon usually has a genial smile when he's playing his many Hohners though these days he mostly plays to accompany his singing.
I do remember many years ago playing with him at a dance and he was quite happily calling while playing box.
Actually I seem to remember Bob Cann calling too while playing solo.
And I can't even smile. A slight raise of the eyebrows when it's time to change tune is sometimes beyond me.

if I try to talk while playing the playing stops  , I can however manage a nod of the head for tune changes or a 'dirty look'  if  a bandmember is making a balls of it.  But  it is apparently a well known fact that scowling takes a lot more effort than smiling???!!

george (:)

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »

... it is apparently a well known fact that scowling takes a lot more effort than smiling???!!
george (:)

Not if you take into account the effect of gravity. Scowling works with it, rather than against it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »

‘‘Tis true Pete , Bob Cann could indeed call a dance whilst playing including sorting us idiots out who couldn’t dance right at the end of the hall. He just kept on playing perfectly.  :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 03:48:26 PM »

Sharon Shannon ?

A very natural, unforced smile is never far from John Whelan's face, playing or not playing.

My favourite.

But pick just about any video. (He often plays the basses too!) (:)

Scotty Gring

• Try putting a piano in a gig bag.
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 03:47:09 AM »

I don't necessarily feel I have to smile, but I'd love to look like I'm having fun and do the Fats Waller "eyebrows"...
Proving each day that, just like golf, merely possessing the equipment
in no way guarantees you have any idea what the hell you're doing.      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hohner 1040C, 2815G/C (pre-Pokerwork), Hohner A/D 21/12 Italienne. Titano Titan Piano Accordion (with apologies).

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »

The Happy Wanderer, really puts the smile on in his videos. I really enjoy them!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqHSCGpas0&index=74&list=UUF0iY7TbTF8k4ZtSXX0BsoQ
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »

‘‘Tis true Pete , Bob Cann could indeed call a dance whilst playing including sorting us idiots out who couldn’t dance right at the end of the hall. He just kept on playing perfectly.  :o

And also hold a conversation with the rest of the band, God bless him... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal