Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing grill cloth  (Read 1476 times)

Schnorbitz

• Regular debater
Replacing grill cloth
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:08:05 AM »

A quick bit of advice. I have an old Castagnari where the grill cloth has seen better days. It looks like a muslin cloth which unfortunately has stained (pre me getting the box). It's a bit unsightly so I am looking to change it for a new cloth. Having gone through the forum I've seen the recommendation for using speaker cloth as it has good acoustic properties. I've got some and before I remove the old cloth, I just wanted to check on advice re attaching the new cloth. I have some PVA (which again was the recommendation in previous posts). Am I correct that all I will need to do is cut to shape and then attach to the grill, applying pressure over an evening to ensure that it sticks and is not baggy.

As always, advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:50:24 AM by Schnorbitz »

Man1nvan

Re: Replacing grill cloth
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »

That is pretty much it
I have successfully used tacky PVA for this but there may be a better solution
I dont know what type of cloth the original was but something with a bit of stiffness to it makes life easier
de-clubbed Hohner Modell 1 C/F,  Student D/G, Victoria Club modell

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »

Bookbinders mull cloth works very well, it's slightly stiff which does help to get a good fit.  Clean off all the old cloth and glue first.  Sand the back of the grill if necessary to get a smooth surface.  Like Man1nvan I use tacky pva and dab it on with a bit of rag.  Mull is an off white colour which usually works and it has an open weave so minimally absorbing of sound. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Schnorbitz

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »

Thanks for the replies Theo and Man1nvan. I'll clean off and ensure there is no residue left (i hadn't thought of lightly sanding if neccesary). I'm just waiting for some muslin from Charlie at CGM to arrive. The speaker cloth looked good, but I was worried that it was not stiff enough. I'm hoping that the muslin will have a bit more rigidity. 

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:58:06 AM »

Thanks for the replies Theo and Man1nvan. I'll clean off and ensure there is no residue left (i hadn't thought of lightly sanding if neccesary). I'm just waiting for some muslin from Charlie at CGM to arrive. The speaker cloth looked good, but I was worried that it was not stiff enough. I'm hoping that the muslin will have a bit more rigidity.

I replaced the damaged grill cloth on my Saltarelle with Charlie's silver & black stuff; it's sonically very transparent and quite firm & easy to glue. Looks prettier than scrim/mull/muslin as well.  But then if you want to stay with the original look.......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 01:47:50 PM »

Just for interest's sake; I brushed my new cloth with PVA, and let it dry before fitting it. It was nice and stiff, and went into place perfectly.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Schnorbitz

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »

Just for interest's sake; I brushed my new cloth with PVA, and let it dry before fitting it. It was nice and stiff, and went into place perfectly.

Ahhh that sounds like a good idea Winston. Just out of interest, did it affect the sound of the box?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »

Yes - I've done this too, but used a dilute solution of PVA - 50% water, 50% PVA. It spreads more easily than the full strength stuff.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »

Yes, I too diluted it, come to mention it.

"did it affect the sound of the box?"

I expect it must, but to what infinitesimal degree, I couldn't say.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Peadar

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »

I replaced the treble grille cloth on a Casali PA a couple of months ago....the instrument had obviously had a good social life with lots of fags and booze. When I peeled the old cloth off the colour  at the vent holes was a uniform nicotine brown - except for the part affected by what could only have been beer. (See illustration!)

I used a piece of linen as the replacement cloth and stuck it in place with Copydex rather than PVA - with an eye to the possibility that someone might want to renew it again in the future.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:43:18 PM by Peadar »

Schnorbitz

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:47:58 PM »

Peadar, wow! That box has evidentially seen the inside of some pubs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal