Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buttstädt  (Read 2590 times)

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
Buttstädt
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »

I've recently encountered a few Buttstädt brand boxes. I've never heard of this brand until now. Can anyone share some information or history on this company? Thanks
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

pgroff

Re: Buttstädt
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:33:26 AM »

Hi Barry,

If you search this forum for "Buttstädt" you'll find a few posts by triskel and others. Piano accordions made by Hermann Buttstädt are not uncommon as are small 2 row diatonic boxes similar to some of those made by Koch etc.

I have at least one Buttstädt-labeled box and a couple others that were probably made by them. triskel has suggested that this company made the nice 6 voice 1-row Globe Gold Medal Professional De-Luxe Irish accordions sold in New York.

Again, you'll find those posts on melnet if you search. I don't know much else about the company's history however.

PG

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »

Thanks PG. I've read the few post on Melnet that I found via the search function.  Did not see much in the way of history. I initially assumed they were made in Buttstädt Germany, which I believe is south/southwest of Berlin. Perhaps this is a surname, though. Still, have never heard of Hermann Buttstädt. So interesting learning the history of all the makers!
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

pgroff

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 01:06:21 AM »

I'm not sure why I remember the name as Hermann Buttstädt, Gera. Google does pull up examples of that name, but not many.

H. Buttstädt Gera for sure!

PG

Peadar

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:58:59 AM »

It would be really interesting to see photos of some of these branded boxes- there seem to be hundreds (which probably means thousands) of different models/brands.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

pgroff

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »

Here's a simple 2 row, 8 bass, AD Buttstädt voiced in MM, not one of their fancier instruments but a well made example of its type. Reminds me of the Koch Ouverture models.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:26:36 AM by pgroff »

James Fitton

• Regular debater
    • Earthquakers
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »

If you look at the German version of Wikipedia (under "Ziehharmonika"), there's reference to an accordion builder called Heinrich Wagner who was active in Gera in the late 19th century "
1890 wurde die Firma aufgelöst, der Markenname wurde von der Fa. Buttstädt übernommen" - in 1890 the firm was dissolved, the brand was adopted by the company  Buttstädt. So there does seem to be a connection between the brand and Gera. It may of course be a complete coincidence, but it also seems that a significant 20th century industry in .Buttstädt. was the manufacture of ear protection devices.....
melodeons, English concertina, PA - ceilidh and dance tune composer

https://soundcloud.com/user-803726952
www.earthquakers.org.uk

pgroff

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:14:13 PM by pgroff »

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:31 PM »

I rebuilt a tiny 32 bass piano accordion by this company. It was actually smaller that a Hohner 1 row.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »

Kimric, what did you think of the quality of that box?
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »

I came across this 3 row and was intrigued.
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

pgroff

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 12:18:47 AM »

That one looks likely to be a 2 voice, 3 row CBA (chromatic button accordion), probably similar in build quality to the smaller diatonic box whose photo I posted above. Of course this one is more complex with the stradella bass machine. Will likely have nice sounding Dix reeds. These days, unrestored CBAs from that period often go unsold or sell for peanuts, so if you want a vintage chromatic button accordion to play, and are willing to buy a project, you have lots of choice among project instruments in that system. The main expense will be the cost of restoring it,  so my advice would be to chose wisely when buying the project.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 09:36:57 PM »

It needed a bunch of things like sections of celluloid that were missing on the keyboard , and other sections re attached. the lowest reeds on the left were not very responsive so I replaced them with Italian ones that I had that would fit.
 Some issues with delaminating plywood and the bass buttons were rough and brown due to age and chemical reasons. I sanded them and gave them a coat of ivory colored nail polish to seal and smooth them.
 You can see it in the picture next to a Italian 12 bass
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal