Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you people of Melnet  (Read 1902 times)

PhilD

• Philleann - Soundcloud
Thank you people of Melnet
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:53:11 AM »

Hello all,

My first post, and I just wanted to say (as an ex-lurker) a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this wonderful forum.  I have read through lots of interesting threads and have enjoyed watching the tune-of-the-month videos posted over the years, and just wanted to share my appreciation for all you tradition bearers.

I am not currently a melodeon player myself, but I love the instrument in all its forms.  I play whistles and the uilleann pipes, and I dabble with piano box.  I have played ITM for many years, but recently have felt a strong pull to reconnect with the English tradition. Part of it maybe because I'm a Brit living the US and have an nostalgia for home, but there is another part of me that feels the rhythm of the English tradition is just a part of my DNA, and I can't hide from it any longer.

Anyway that is all, please keep doing what you are doing, I'm really glad to be a part of the forum.

Cheers,

Phil
A little local band i'm in bellowbridge

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Thank you people of Melnet
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:13:19 AM »

Welcome home Phil.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »

Welcome, Phil!

Hope you will enjoy being part of this very friendly on-line community. Not just on-line either; many members have also got to know each other in real life over the years.

There are many of us here who play English traditional music in all its various forms, ranging from Northumbrian rants, jig and hornpipes, north-west triple time hornpipes, East Anglian step-dance tunes and waltzes, and cotswold morris dance tunes from the south and south-west - to name but a few.

Forty years or so ago, when I first became interested in playing the melodeon, 'folk music' to many in England meant Irish or Scottish music; people were far less aware that we also had our own music traditions. Thankfully, that has now changed and we are much more aware, and we celebrate our own music as being important too.

But one of the really lovely things about this forum is that it brings together musicians from many countries and it's great to share tunes from all over the world. Long may it happily continue.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »

Part of it maybe because I'm a Brit living the US and have an nostalgia for home, but there is another part of me that feels the rhythm of the English tradition is just a part of my DNA, and I can't hide from it any longer.
Phil

You'll be needing a 1row then  >:E :|glug (also quite handy for ITM as it happens....)

Welcome and enjoy the journey...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

PhilD

• Philleann - Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »

You'll be needing a 1row then  >:E :|glug (also quite handy for ITM as it happens....)
Welcome and enjoy the journey...

Thanks for the welcome guys. 

Baz it has already begun, I found a 2 row Pokerwork locally that just need some fettling.   Its an A/D box which I know is less common, but I doubt I'll be playing out in the wild any time soon.

richard.fleming

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »

Thanks for the welcome guys. 

Baz it has already begun, I found a 2 row Pokerwork locally that just need some fettling.   Its an A/D box which I know is less common, but I doubt I'll be playing out in the wild any time soon.
[/quote]
All very well, but if you get good and want to get out and play with people you won't want to be playing the wrong sort of box,  will you? You might have to relearn with a different fingering.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Matthew B

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:44:31 PM »

Welcome Richard.  If you feel comfortable sharing your location, either on the board, on your profile, or by PM, you may find a forum member nearby or in a location you can get to.  I know the USA is a big place, but there are a few of us scattered around, and some of us (me for example) travel regularly for work.  It's always nice to share a tune or two with a fellow player. 

Also, the AD box is less common in the UK, but its quite common in parts of Canada, particularly Newfoundland and Labrador.  Depending on your location and your interests you my find some folks playing on the system you have in hand. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

PhilD

• Philleann - Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »

Also, the AD box is less common in the UK, but its quite common in parts of Canada, particularly Newfoundland and Labrador.  Depending on your location and your interests you my find some folks playing on the system you have in hand.

Hi Matthew i'm in the rainy Pacific NW. Portland, Oregon. 

Is there a big difference in the basic layout between an AD box and DG?  So for-instance, I couldn't learn a tune on the A row, and have the same push pull fingering work on the D row of a DG box?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »

[

Is there a big difference in the basic layout between an AD box and DG?  So for-instance, I couldn't learn a tune on the A row, and have the same push pull fingering work on the D row of a DG box?

That's the beauty of it. The fingering on all fourth apart boxes is exactly the same. Learn a tune on A/D and it will be the same fingering on D/G, C/F, Bb/Eb, etc.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

PhilD

• Philleann - Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »

That's the beauty of it. The fingering on all fourth apart boxes is exactly the same. Learn a tune on A/D and it will be the same fingering on D/G, C/F, Bb/Eb, etc.

Okay, good, that's what I thought, the same principal as applies to changing my uilleann pipe chanter pitched in D to one in C.  Same fingering, different Key.   I know the fingering of B/C boxes are law unto the themselves though.

Matthew B

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »

Hi Matthew i'm in the rainy Pacific NW. Portland, Oregon. 
Darn!  Wrong Portland.  I am (and two or three other forum members are) in and around the Portland on the right-hand coast. 

If I'm not mistaken there may be a couple of forum members out your way.  Someone may pop out of the woodwork yet!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:42:10 AM by Matthew B »
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal