Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner keyboard issue  (Read 3045 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Hohner keyboard issue
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »

Just for a moment there I thought you were gently leading me towards the 'left handed screw driver, can of stripey paint and long weight' visit to the stores, trick played on new apprentices. But then I thought...yes, there might just be LH drills...  (:)

Otherwise known as stud extractors. Readily available for diameters around 3mm and upwards,but you might have to do bit of internet searching among miniature engineering and clockmaking suppliers to find smaller sizes.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

diatonix

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »

Let's try and not make this unnecessarily complicated, folks. All he has to do (if he hasn't done so already) is  cut off a little bit of the top of the dowel and screw out what's left of the broken button-screw with a suitable pair of pliers. Believe me, it's not worse than this.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:19:12 PM by diatonix »

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 03:59:46 AM »

I see no reason to stop, the next step would be a oil bath and a EDM rig.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »

Update on this. I did melt the end of the 'Delrin' piston to get at the sheared off screw, but it shortened the piston too much and I thought...how hard can it be to make a new one? Ans...quite easy...though I needed a couple of goes at it. The second one took about 10 mins to make - cut/junior hacksaw a slot in one end and widen a bit with needle file. Calculate required piston length, cut off, drill hole in the button end and then glue (rapid epoxy). How to hold it in place and get exact 90degree angle so that the piston sits *exactly* in the centre of the keyboard hole? Ans...blue tack 'jig'.. (see photos)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4XocUQWVxRm1xM3b8
The first one didn’t work because I’d drilled a 1.4mm hole which was too tight..also revealed a flaw with the Hohner Morgane buttons and probably the root of the keyboard problems (and manages to shear off another button..ahaha..so *thats* why the screw sheared off in the first place LOL). The screw in the buttons, or at least some of them, aren’t fixed very well and it doesn’t take much to loosen the screw when fitting the button. So you can’t get it tight! It’s possible to flip out the little pearl button top to get at the screw and then refit the top. I don't think the standard Carini/Charlie/Theo supplied buttons do this. Also, on the underside of the button there is a sort of locating chamfer that sits in the piston. So I made a second piston, drilled a bigger hole (1.8mm) and then had to fiddle with the flippin' Hohner Morgane buttons to fit them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:34:56 AM by RogerT »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal